Live and Let Die, or What's Oswald Wirth?

Mycroft

Remember when the 'Family Fortunes Celebrity Satan-Worshipers' special edition was on TV and Vernon Kay turned to Samia Ghadie saying "Samia, we asked 100 people to name a tarot-related movie - what did they say?" She bit her lip, looked a little worried and then exclaimed, "OH! The James Bond one, with voodoo, that has tarot cards in it, and Paul Wotsit sings the song - 'Live and Let Live' is it?" Vernon gave a half-smile and an imploring look, then there was an audible whisper of "...Let Die" from one of Samia's family (which Vernon heard but pretended not to) and then "OH! Live and Let Die! - That's it!" Vernon turned to the board announcing "Our survey says..... 88! Top Answer Samia!!" Vernon then attempted to kiss Samia, she wisely pulled away but he pounced on her anyway. I'm just jesting of course, Samia is most definitely not a Satan-Worshiper (although Vernon probably is.)

How Not To Run A Game Show
jjbc.png

However, we now have irrefutable scientific proof that 'Live and Let Die' is the top Tarot movie of all time, and as such I felt it was worth (yet) another viewing, but this time with the 'Occult-Metaphysical-Tarot Filtered Goggles' firmly in place. What I discovered what both startling and revealing, in a rather mundane and boring sort of way. My main realisations involved;

a) Dead people singing
b) Wardrobes
c) Alligators

First up, let's deal with why dead people are singing in this movie. It's because the singer of the theme-song and the central character of the film are both Resurrected Men. The old James Bond (Sean Connery) had died and been replaced by the new James Bond (Roger Moore). This had also happened with Paul McCartney, and if you're not familiar with the idea then google "Beatles Paul Is Dead" to find out why. For our purposes it doesn't matter whether McCartney died in a car crash or whether it's another conspiracy theory to throw in with 911, Faking The Moon Landings and Tom Cruise Is A Homosexual (actually one of these is not so ridiculous - I've always been a bit suspicious of that moment when Armstrong lifts up his visor and asks "Are we okay, is that a wrap?") The important point is that in 1973 the 'Paul Is Dead' story was very prevalent and relevant, many people did believe that the old Paul had died and been replaced by the new one. The covers of 'Abbey Road' and 'Sgt Pepper' certainly appear to be hinting at a spiritual form of death and re-birth, and so is McCartney's presence in this film. The song title 'Live and Let Die' can easily be transposed as "To Let The New Self Live, You Must Let The Old Self Die" and it begins to play at the moment that this happens at the beginning of the film;
8hbf.jpg

A man being bitten in the neck by a snake can quite easily be viewed as symbolism for the kundalini rising to the throat chakra, something which in many schools of esoteric thought is viewed as the moment that we begin to activate our higher centres and develop latent 'psychic' faculties. We are thus moving from the mundane to the divine, and are 're-born' in our way of experiencing reality.

In the second part of this dazzlingly mesmeric journey down a dark alley that leads to a dead-end, I will be examining the pivotal role that the wardrobe has played in the history and development of Tarot.

Lorelei Douglas

I'm hoping you will do a pre se of Ninth Gate too.

Mycroft

I'm hoping you will do a pre se of Ninth Gate too.
I'm presently re-reading "The Club Dumas" which is the book that "The Ninth Gate" is drawn from, because I would like to do a piece that focuses on the Tarot explicitly. The film contains such a complex web of esoteric symbolism that it is quite possible to write an entire novel about it! There's some good stuff at Laurel Whitney's excellent 'Library of Halexandria' site, and also at David Rodger's blog;

upawell

Oooh, I'm making popcorn.

upawell

I do sincerely hope that isn't a double entendre! This is a family forum you know.

*munch munch*

All my posts on TF are rated for General Audiences. :angel:

Debra

Mycroft, this is so cool--I've got Junior Mints.

Mycroft

Part 2 - The Spy, The Snitch and The Wardrobes

If I was Vernon Kay (which thankfully I'm not) and I turned to you saying; "We asked 100 people to name something that you put in a wardrobe, what did they say?" You might after a few moments consideration give the answer, "Clothes - Yes Vernon, I'm going to say clothes." Vernon would probably give one of those agreeing nods and turn to the board announcing, "Our survey says ......... 73! Top answer!!" You'd feel pleased, and justifiably so, you've just given the top answer and may well be in with a chance of "Double Money!" However, there is something that may temper your elation, the question of defining the common English noun 'Wardrobe'. You may feel that "Wardrobe - Wooden cupboard in which to store clothes" is a correct definition, and you'd be right, whilst at the same time being completely wrong.

Top answer!!
4l9h.jpg

The reason being that 'wardrobe' is an example of a Resurrected Word. Hundreds of years ago it had a completely different meaning, but the old meaning died and has been replaced by a new one. The keenly observant reader may begin to notice a pattern developing here, perhaps something to do with 'dead' things coming back to life? Well to find an answer we need to hop on an open-top double decker bus and do a little sight-seeing around London. Thus we find ourselves in delightful Blackfriars, admiring the church of St Andrew-by-the-Wardrobe, which is probably a strong contender for the title of 'Religious building with the strangest name ever'.

Destroyed by the Great Fire in 1666 and The Luftwaffe in 1941 but rebuilt both times
StAndrewWardrobeChurch.jpg

How did it acquire the name? Well,
"In 1361, Edward III moved his Royal Wardrobe (a storehouse for Royal accoutrements, housing arms and clothing among other personal items of the Crown) from the Tower of London to just north of the church. It was from this association that the church acquired its unique name."

Originally a 'wardrobe' was where a King stored his treasure. Perhaps when C S Lewis penned his famous children's book he was hinting at a 'Kingdom of Treasures' or maybe a 'Kingdom of Heaven'? Let's check out the pivotal wardrobe scenes in LALD, where in the first we find Bond inside one with a beautiful young Italian girl (surprise!) most ungallantly unzipping her dress using his newly acquired magnetic watch.

Cupboard Love
imym.jpg

We have already been shown earlier in the scene that this watch can be used to make a spoon fly across the room, which (in 1973) would immediately bring to mind a certain Israeli trickster who spent most of his time bending cutlery. Is there an implied suggestion that Bond can 'bend time' once he goes 'through the wardrobe' and does this make him a 'Time Lord'? Even if he can go to any point in time he wishes, he will still be subject to Karma of course, to para-phrase;

"He can check out any time he likes, But he can never leave."

Interestingly, Jane Seymour co-stars with Christopher Reeve in the beautiful film Somewhere In Time (1980) which has this very conceit as it's central plot mechanism, of course in LALD Jane plays the part of Solitaire, the Tarot-reader who we are informed possesses the 'Obeah' (which is a gift of mystic vision it would seem.) We first encounter her when she changes into a prostitute's outfit (plenty of red) and goes through a door which was concealed behind a wardrobe. The plot device here is that the outfit is a disguise, but this surely seems to be a nod towards 'Babalon' in Crowley's Thelema. It would seem that sex is hinted as having some important part to play in the process being outlined, and certainly something dramatic happens to her cards and her abilities when the bounderish Bond has his wicked way with her.

Jane Seymour Can See More
xclb.jpg

Prior to her romp with James, the only Tarot deck seen in the film is the Fergus Hall '007' deck that was made specifically for the film, and only a few cards at that. Images of the RWS appear on shop walls and in windows, but the cards themselves are not seen until after she has been deflowered, and her reading ability has sunk to being on a par with mine. The old Fergus Hall deck has died and been replaced by the new RWS one. In Solitaire's case this appears as an inversion from what we have seen before, since she seems to have moved from the divine to the mundane. In Hinduism and Sikhism this would most likely imply that she is an Avatar, a descent of God who is willing to be an ordinary human in order to help others.

In the third and final part of this heart-stunning trilogy, the boredom continues as we discover why alligators never ride mopeds, and the real reason you never see Vernon Kay and Oswald Wirth together in public.

Debra

*swoon*
This is the best analysis I've ever seen. Of anything.

Mycroft

*swoon*
This is the best analysis I've ever seen. Of anything.
You know I've always loved the name Debra, it's so elegant and charming, suggesting sophistication and eminent good taste.