Is this too much too fast?

Philomena

I got 78 degrees of wisdom for my first tarot book... I was hoping it would help me learn since I've heard such great things about it. Is it possible to learn as a beginner from it or should I stick to something more basic at first?

Sulis

I think that was one of the first books I got when I started learning.. I think it's a great book for any level tarot reader.

Richard

I got 78 degrees of wisdom for my first tarot book... I was hoping it would help me learn since I've heard such great things about it. Is it possible to learn as a beginner from it or should I stick to something more basic at first?
I do not think you need anything more elementary than 78 degrees, unless you find it to be unsatisfactory for your current needs. Most everything a beginner needs to know is in there, and you can always ask questions if something doesn't seem clear.

SixDegrees

It was my first book as well. Later I discovered that it is much heavier than other introductory books on the market, but in retorspect, I was glad for that. I think it made me a better reader from the start.

Good luck with it!

Philomena

Thank you all for your reply,

I was just questioning this because this book was listed under advance in the reading lists. I find it very in-depth and informative, but definitely an original I will want to reread to make sure I get everything.

gregory

If you are getting something from it, it isn't too advanced for you. QED !

IXTheHermit

Marvelous book! I didn't like much the meanings of the cards it gives. But I really loved the way it was written and the whole philosophical and psycological prespective it puts in Tarot Cards. It was my first book too. I have an advice for you. Let some years pass, read other books, do lots and lots of readings and then read it again. You will find so many things that you didn't noticed the first time, things that you couldn't have possibly understood then. It can be read in so many levels! Good Luck with it!

Nemia

I read my tarot books with a pencil in hand. If I have something to add, I add with and note the date. Sometimes my old notes surprise me - there are things I wouldn't have thought of now.

Think of tarot learning not as a passive act (having your brain stuffed by Pollack ;-) although that would be actually quite great) but as an active on. Add your associations, ideas and questions.

My first book was Spiritual Tarot: Seventy-Eight Paths to Personal Development, which was great as an entrance to the world of tarot. My second book was Pollack's and I loved it.

Why should beginners not start with the best?

FLizarraga

Actually, Pollack has a much newer book that is sort of a shorter, sweeter revision of 78 Degrees. It is called The New Tarot Handbook. Personally, I think it works much, much better for a first book, and you can always use 78 Degrees for cross-referencing meanings and stuff like that. Just my two cents.

FLizarraga

I read my tarot books with a pencil in hand. If I have something to add, I add with and note the date. Sometimes my old notes surprise me - there are things I wouldn't have thought of now.

Think of tarot learning not as a passive act (having your brain stuffed by Pollack ;-) although that would be actually quite great) but as an active on. Add your associations, ideas and questions.

My first book was Spiritual Tarot: Seventy-Eight Paths to Personal Development, which was great as an entrance to the world of tarot. My second book was Pollack's and I loved it.

Why should beginners not start with the best?

Great post, Nemia! This newbie thanks you. :-D