Clear Quartz versus Glass

ZENtegration

Hi all,

Need some advice from all the experts out there. Recently I'm looking for a clear quartz crystal sphere to complement my daily tarot reading. I will like to know how to differentiate real clear quartz from normal glass. Is there any visual examination? Someone from a crystal shop tells me that u can put a strand of hair under a clear quartz crystal and it will appear two strands at certain angle. In the case of glass, it will still appear as one. Has anyone heard of this test?

Please advice.

Alta

Well, one 'test' is that a clear quartz sphere, that is so clear that it could be mistaken for glass, will be enormously more expensive than a glass sphere of the same size. And, deal with someone reputable.

I have never heard of that test, it sounds doubtful to me but am not sure.

Alta

Storm82

(

100% quartz crystal balls are very hard to find, beacause of the price (very expensive)

some crystal balls are a blend of quartz and glass

smaller crystal spheres can be find (100% clerar quartz) in some stores

ZENtegration

Really appreciate all ur advice. I do understand the theory that u get what u are willing to pay but i do hope that I'm getting the real stuffs.

Manage to find this website : http://www.quartzpage.de/gen_phys.html#i02 and it does implies that clear quartz crystal does have the optical property of splitting light beams i.e. splitting the image of a hair strand into two at certain angles. Maybe this is a good visual test to select clear quartz crystal. Hope that anyone out who has a glass and quartz crystal and see whether this theory works. Cheers!

morticia monroe

http://rockhoundingar.com/askmikey/askMqtz03.html

This may help. :)

Another thing. I looked at quartz spheres when I was in Arkansas last month. I don't remember seeing ANY that were flawlessly clear. Even the clearest had the tiniest cloud or inclusion here or there. I am sure there ARE pieces of quartz that are flawlessly clear, but I would be more inclined to purchase a sphere with a few clouds and inclusion in it simply to insure that it was true quartz.

I don't scry, but from reading the others' posts, there are those who seem to actually prefer inclusions, as it seems to help them with their scrying. You might ask them.

sleepingcat

Run a current through it

Make a loop:

---Battery ---Quatz-----xmas light----

if the light comes on at all, it's quartz. If it stays off, it's glass. : 3

ZENtegration

Really really appreciate all the information. Already bought a clear quartz sphere and so i shall see how i can make full use of it. hee... Thanks again.