Suggest me some two and three card spreads?

Katefox

I am incredibly new to reading, and until just yesterday, I was familiarising myself with my Tarot cards one at a time, pulling a single card, examining it, reading about it's meaning, thinking about it, &c. But a Tarot reading seems to be as much about how the cards relate to each other as about the meanings of single cards. So, because I'm still learning the individual cards, I want some really simple two or three card spreads to practise with.

Like, yesterday, I came up with a two card spread that was Goal on the left (something about the question I'm asking, what I want to achieve) and Process on the right (something about what I need to do to achieve my goal, or how I should go about achieving my goal). I only did one reading, and it seemed to come out okay, especially as I was making things up as I went along.

So I was hoping you might be able to recommend me some very simple spreads to practise with. Any suggestions?

Zelmira

Katefox:
There is an index in the forum that has 3 card spreads of a great variety. Also if you check some older posts you will find a collections of 3 card spreads that some people have put together. Happy readings.
Zelmira

GryffinSong

The two "classics" seem to be body/mind/spirit for a quick checkup on where you're at and past/present/future. I also like to do a quick deck interview spread when I get a new deck ...

1. Who are you? (meaning the deck)
2. Who am I?
3. Who are we together?

Have fun!!!

Katefox

Katefox:
There is an index in the forum that has 3 card spreads of a great variety. Also if you check some older posts you will find a collections of 3 card spreads that some people have put together. Happy readings.
Zelmira

I saw the index earlier, and had a skim through it before posting this thread, as many of the spreads don't have the number of cards used listed. I gave the index a closer look just now...and turns out I didn't scroll down far enough to find the spreads organised by number of cards used. I feel just a bit silly, now.

---

GryffinSong said:
The two "classics" seem to be body/mind/spirit for a quick checkup on where you're at and past/present/future. I also like to do a quick deck interview spread when I get a new deck ...

1. Who are you? (meaning the deck)
2. Who am I?
3. Who are we together?

Have fun!!!
I never thought of interviewing my deck. I think I might try that, and see what it has to say. :D

---

I do notice, though, that there aren't really any two card spreads. I wonder, is working with only two cards too simplistic, or something? I find the lack a bit puzzling. Any ideas why this is?

avalonian

I use the "Bridge" spread. Card one on the left "where I am", card two on the right "where I need to be" and card three in the middle "how do I get there".

:) :) :)

GryffinSong

There's nothing at all wrong with one and two card spreads. Many of us use them all the time. Rather than use a spread, though, I simply think about what I want to know and design it on the fly. Like the two card spread you designed. :)

amethyst57

besides y/n, some other two card spreads i use once in awhile are.....
today's event/right way of handling of it........
what energy i have to deal with today/how to use it wisely....

Katefox

I use the "Bridge" spread. Card one on the left "where I am", card two on the right "where I need to be" and card three in the middle "how do I get there".

:) :) :)
Oh, I like that idea. Thanks. :) Also, I think I just like the idea of asking the cards for advice, or ways of getting things done, and fixing problems, rather than asking for predictions (probably because I don't really believe the cards can predict the future, but I do believe they can give great insight on present problems).

---

GriffynSong said:
There's nothing at all wrong with one and two card spreads. Many of us use them all the time. Rather than use a spread, though, I simply think about what I want to know and design it on the fly. Like the two card spread you designed.
Actually, that makes quite a bit of sense. Picking what one or two cards represent, and how they should relate to each other is probably simple enough, especially with practice.

---

rockersgurl said:
besides y/n, some other two card spreads i use once in awhile are.....
today's event/right way of handling of it........
what energy i have to deal with today/how to use it wisely....
Oh, cool. I might try playing with those, and see what I get. :)

Hedera

I like using this two-carder as a daily spread sometimes:

- Do this
- Do not do this

It gives interesting and often useful results, and it's a great way to highlight differences and similarities between cards. :)

Katefox

I like using this two-carder as a daily spread sometimes:

- Do this
- Do not do this

It gives interesting and often useful results, and it's a great way to highlight differences and similarities between cards. :)

Oh! I like that one, too. Straightforward, and to the point. And I can see it having more than one use. Like, you could use it to ask about your day if you wanted a general reading, or you could use to ask for advice/problem solving if you had a specific question.