Important Issue

Sorrow

After studying Duquette's treatise on Thoth Tarot, I thought I was fairly prepared to start reading cards, even though for newbie like me it will be overlapped by the need of having book wih meaning opened at any given time, but that is like it looks for starters, I reckon; my problem is, or arised, after reading Duquette's glossary of terms and being pointed at the fact that I NEED to use Signifier. That is, before every reading, I need to choose a card representing Querent. And that card is normally chossen from the properly shuffled court cards suit. Now the question arise:

1. Is it really needed?

2. If it is really needed, how do I do that technically? To my understanding, in normal, basic reading of Tarot, you use all cards, shuffle and let's say create past/present/future connections mentally, then project them on the 3 chosen cards? Or am I mistaken? If so, what to do with the Signifier?

3.4.5.6. If I am told that Signifier has to come from the court suit, do I ditch the court cards after choosing this one card from it and make a general reading from the rest? That really boggles my mind. I really fancy that idea of choosing Signifier, but do I just shuffle rest of the cards and read from them normally? I am kind of stuck with this, because even though my Thoth deck should not be here until tomorrow morning, I want to prepare myself for that meeting.

S.