Thoth Tarot Wheel and Tree Study Poster

ravenest

No froggy, I see them and you are right. He's (Orion) on his head, the belt hangs up as points the sword. Down here, one has to lie on ones back and (feet south) and look to the north to make sense of star maps -I'm not too far south ... and orion / Pelaides not that far off the ecliptic.

I find it interesting as ... just say; one would wnat to lay out a map of the constellations (on the ecliptic) with Thoth tarot cards. As anyone who has looked at a modern star map will realise there are 13 constellations on the ecliptic not 12. There are the 12 zodiacal constellations, and we have a trump for each of those. the 13th constellation on the ecliptic is Opheichus (DONT say that word in the astro froum :laugh:) - which is the serpent holder ... now look at the Universe card - it can do triple duty (planet element and stars).

Now, before a kafoogle stars ... I just find that interesting; is all. ;)

Lillie

Thank you! I thought I was imagining it right, but it's good to have it confirmed.

It must have been strange for the first Europeans going to the southern hemisphere to see new constellations, and to see familiar ones upside down!

Yes, 13 when we look at the star maps. But I never see some. I don't think I have ever seen Sagittarius, and only occasionally Scorpio, very low on the horizon, and only because it has one star that is so very bright. Too far north and too many hills I suppose. Along with too much pollution.

But yeah! The universe card! It is, isn't it! How cool is that!

Everything in one card, very suitable :D

ravenest

Lillie said:
Thank you! I thought I was imagining it right, but it's good to have it confirmed.

It must have been strange for the first Europeans going to the southern hemisphere to see new constellations, and to see familiar ones upside down!
Yes, and the resultant imbalance northern groups projected into the southern sky (like the GD tarot /astro correspondences). When the first Egyptians reported that when they went further south and then sailed west, the sun was on their right, people must have thought they were crazy.
Lillie said:
Yes, 13 when we look at the star maps. But I never see some. I don't think I have ever seen Sagittarius, and only occasionally Scorpio, very low on the horizon, and only because it has one star that is so very bright. Too far north and too many hills I suppose. Along with too much pollution.

Scorpio here is gigantic and fills a significant part of the sky, from where I am it feels like I am sitting underneath it, its a very obvious and significant shape. I would find it rather stange to have a pole star however.
Lillie said:
But yeah! The universe card! It is, isn't it! How cool is that!

Everything in one card, very suitable :D
Well, If I DID want to start a kafloogle :laugh: I'd point out that on the ecliptic Opheichus 'cuts through' Scorpio and the Tarot equivlent would be the Daughter of Babalon the Beautiful dancing with a snake as they cut across the path of Death ...

... its the secret key to understanding the Thoth!!!! :laugh:

Lillie

ravenest said:
Yes, and the resultant imbalance northern groups projected into the southern sky (like the GD tarot /astro correspondences). When the first Egyptians reported that when they went further south and then sailed west, the sun was on their right, people must have thought they were crazy.

Scorpio here is gigantic and fills a significant part of the sky, from where I am it feels like I am sitting underneath it, its a very obvious and significant shape. I would find it rather stange to have a pole star however.

I'd love to see the stars down there. Here Orion is huge and bright all winter, striding across the southern sky with his dog. It would be very odd not to have a pole star though. And Cassie in her chair, do you see her or is she too far north? She never sets, she's there all year round so she could be too far north for you.

[/quote]
Well, If I DID want to start a kafloogle :laugh: I'd point out that on the ecliptic Opheichus 'cuts through' Scorpio and the Tarot equivlent would be the Daughter of Babalon the Beautiful dancing with a snake as they cut across the path of Death ...

... its the secret key to understanding the Thoth!!!! :laugh:[/QUOTE]

That's just too damn clever!

oneirich

sorry for bumping this old thread but I wanted to thank the creator of the image for his/her work!

thanks!

Rhapsodin

Glad you did. When I get within range of a printer I'll make a copy with much thanks to original artist.

Colleen007

I'm also glad you bumped this up. I have downloaded a copy, and will also print it off.

onlythebridge

Geometric / Rosy Cross view of Tree of Life

Thanks for the love! I'm happy that people are still finding my poster useful.

As a token of my appreciation of your appreciation, here's something else to puzzle over:

treecross2.jpg

It's the Tree of Life again. This time, imagine you take the typical ball-and-sticks view of the Tree and suck in each path until it's just a single point. The sephiroth get pulled out into these pretty geometrical shapes and they touch each other where the paths connecting them used to be. The paths are marked by their Hebrew letters. Traditional colouring.

I love how much this view of the Tree resembles the Rosy Cross as seen on the back of the Thoth cards. Coincidence? I doubt it, but I can't prove anything cause I've never seen anyone else discuss the Tree from this perspective. I'd be super curious to hear any thoughts on it!

Kether and Malkuth don't have enough paths to make solid 3d shapes. What does that mean? Maybe they connect to each other? Tiphareth, oh beautiful Tiphareth, looks like some kind of crazy polyhedron in this flattened 2d view, but it only has 8 vertices, so that makes me wonder what it would look like as a cube.... Next step would be to generate some actual 3d models of this.
:)

Babalon Jones

Wow, that is an interesting image. Oh what you could do with a 3D printer!