Can someone suggest a practice spread for me?

Qofcups

I only feel comfortable reading Celtic Cross at the moment because every other spread I try feels too disconected to me. I tried Umbraes double horseshoe spread (is that what it is called?) and was completely lost (guess I'm not quite ready for that one yet). But even small spreads (well, espeically small spreads) hang me up. I did a simple three card spread (Sun/Moon/Star I think it was called) and I was way off. My problem is, that I know how to relate the cards in the celtic cross spread. I can read it look a book, seeing how each scene contributes to the others, but in all other spreads I feel like I am reading isolated sentences. Does anyone have any good practice spreads to help me move away from CC?

cormac

hi Qofcups :)

i still probably qualify as a beginner so you'll get more from more experienced posters but here are a few ideas:

i do a daily 3-card spread for head, heart, and hands -- lay them anyway you like, i.e. left to right, etc. --
Head -- What do I need to know today?
Heart -- What do I need to embrace/accept today?
Hands -- What do I need to do today?

This has helped me see various point of emphasis in the cards -- it's also a good discipline building -- I also keep a journal of these draws and go back and make notes (I'm sorry I don't remember who posted here at Aeclectic)

I also do a monthly draw -- i do this simply as a card for each week and then one card for an overview of the month -- some people do this with two cards each --

also i think that when you're first beginning 1, 2 or 3 card spreads are too confining imho ... try a 5 or a 7 card spread -- 5s always worked well for me

and read -- post over in the reading exchange or join one of the "circles" (three or stones) -- people are pretty nice even when you totally blow a reading (i should know lol -- done it more than a few time :) )

this one is actually an 8 card spread but i still like it a lot -- i think it is a good one early on in your reading experience -- i still use it fairly regularly :)

"Tempest in a Teacup Spread"
from cjtarot @ Aeclectic
cjtarot thinks he adapted the meanings a bit but do use the original from time to time ... depends on the question

1 & 2- the person you are reading (people are never just 1
card) or the situation
3 - past
4 - present
5 - future
6 - subconscious
7 - conscious
8 - advice - how to handle this

:) hope that helps some

Qofcups

cormac said:
hi Qofcups :)
and read -- post over in the reading exchange or join one of the "circles" (three or stones) -- people are pretty nice even when you totally blow a reading (i should know lol -- done it more than a few time :) )

It's funny you said that. That is exactly what happened to me which is why I feel like I need more practice interpreting different types of spreads. Usually when I read for other people I do a CC spread, but this spread was a three card spread and I was completely lost. I couldn't make connections between the cards, the positions just seemed so isolated and I didn't know how to focus on one meaning for each. I stopped doing daily draws because I couldn't focus on one specific meaning and always ended up drawing a bunch of clarifyers.

I am interested in trying that 8-card spread you suggested. When you read that, which positions are complementary? I think I might also give the head-heart-hands a shot because those positions seem to naturally flow, so I might have an easier time with that. Thanks.

I've actually been reading (or at least learning) for a long time now, but I really still feel like such a newbie.

crazelion

I understand where coming from if do long spreads sometimes I get confuse to.

I do a simple past present future spread. You can do 4 or card spread that can help you.

Isispriest

The Outcome Spread

I teach beginners an "Outcome Spread" as a good learning tool. I have no recollection of where I got this from. Give the cards a good shuffle or have the querant shuffle, then cut, while thinking of a specific question or issue. Keep it practical, simple, and verifiable in the near future. This is important, 'cause part of the learning comes from looking back at how what happened relates to the cards that appeared. "My day ahead", might be a good question, but even that is approaching too vague. My big date tonight might be better.
Then count from the top of the deck 8 cards, put them on the bottom, lay down the 9th card. Do again and lay down the 9th card, and again the 9th card. Put them in a row. The positions have no meaning except chronological sequence. Then take the remaining deck and cut the deck to draw the top face down card after the cut (much easier to do than to describe). This card goes over the other 3. It summerizes, crowns, gives an over-all context to the other 3

********4,CUT**********
1,9th***2,2nd9th***3,3rd9th

So,i.e.: I did one on my post here;

******2Sw*******
9W***World**Chariot

Seems to say, 2 of Swords, It is about communication, someone will think about it, cyber chat in general can be the 2 of Sw.
9 of Wands, yeah I know my reply is late, well I just joined, this thread has been sitting for a week and this post may sit for awhile before it is appreciatively noticed.
The World, But the original Thread Starter does return as do some others who give it a try
The Chariot, And many others will like the spread, too, big success, maybe even gets a Thread of its own!

cormac

hey that's a cool spread Isispriest :) -- i'll definitely be trying that one out (and adding it to my journal) :) thanks for sharing it

bleu_bell

I like the notion of being able to see if my reading is right within a reasonably short time. I'm going to try this. Thanks.

Qofcups

Well, here is the original poster, and I really like that spread. I am going to try it and add it to my journal, I just need to think of a good question now!

huredriel

How about a simple 3 card spread - situation, blockage and advice?