PKT:Secret Trad#1 - Study Group

Yelell

We really have to clarify what are known facts based on concrete evidence, where those end, and what is theory or speculation.
BTW, the astro-physicist Neil DeGrasse Tyson is wonderful to listen to because he's so clear about just these things. He loves story but he doesn't mistake it for fact or worthwhile theories (each of which he clearly distinguishes). I recommend the recent interview with Charlie Rose (pbs.org) or anything else.

Well, I did say suppose, part of, and used a question mark, so I was not trying to be unclear that this was simply a one sentence thought - certainly not presented as fact. I have seen some of the direct similarities between some of the sola busca, and the grand etteilla 2 of swords, but of course I have no way of knowing how what different types of "influences" and "directions" became part of the final cards.

Teheuti

Well, I did say suppose, part of, and used a question mark, so I was not trying to be unclear that this was simply a one sentence thought - certainly not presented as fact. I have seen some of the direct similarities between some of the sola busca, and the grand etteilla 2 of swords, but of course I have no way of knowing how what different types of "influences" and "directions" became part of the final cards.
I know you were only supposing. I guess I hear so many suppositions about the deck and its creation that I get tired of repeating that we can't possibly know without more evidence. The problem especially with PCS is that so little is known about her and absolutely nothing about her interest in Tarot (if any!) besides doing it as a "job" for which she got paid little cash. Because of this, people seem to feel free to make up all kinds of stuff about her and the roles that she and Waite played in this enterprise.

Marcus and Tali's new book on The Secrets of the Waite-Smith Tarot is primarily speculation based on some new and intriguing facts about that year of her life and her background. The only unfortunate thing about the book is that an uninformed reader will not be able to determine what speculations are most likely and which ones are really far-fetched.