Fairytale Tarot - The Hermit

moderndayruth

The flock of sheep behind the Hermit gave me an idea of him being a Shepard in a metaphorical sense, the same day I read Gregory’s post where were links to a site with the new interpretations of Visconti Forca – the Hermit was connected to Biblical Moses, which seems very appropriate to me.
The Hermit looks to me as if he is warm under his coat, nevertheless he is barefoot, his face is peaceful and he is stepping out with the right leg – all of it makes me feel he consciously choose his path, though it might be the one “less traveled”.
I feel that the girl is looking at him with genuine care and I am sure he feels it, though he has turned his back one her.

It’s interesting that I drew this card on the day when I was going clubbing with coworkers (NY tradition) and I must say I was not really pleased – not a card one wishes to get when going out…
I had fun that night, but the thing was that the music was really loud so all the communication was non-verbal, which was really interesting for a change ;)

Queen of Disks

I can't remember the fairytale very well (I don't have the book for this deck) but I think the hermit did choose this path for a reason (I can't remember if it was to remove a curse or to win a princess, but it was something of that nature.)

I got this one day before work, and the words "armor up" went through my head. My day at work was a really bad one, with nasty customers and two women in general giving me a hard time and giving off lots of negative energy. Plus I didn't feel well at the time.

The way the Hermit is pulling his bearskin closer to him makes me think he is trying to protect himself from the world, and keep others away from him.

moderndayruth

Queen of Discs, here is the story for you :)
Bearskin, Household Tales by brothers Grimm
(it's adopted from the accompaning book by Karen Mahony)
After the end of a war a brave young soldier was jobless. His family was not of help so he set out on a journey to seek his fortune. He realises he has no skills apart from soldiering and that he would most probably starve. Than he meets a man dressed in green, with one human foot and one hideous hoof, who promisses him to make him rich if he prooves his bravery. He passes the test when the huge bear attacks him, but than the man in green says there is another test. The soldier must not wash himself nor cut his hair and nails during seven years. He also has to wear the jacket the man's green jacket and cloak. The green jacket had a magic pocket where there allways will be some money, the man said. The soldier, being in a hopeless situation, took the weird challenge. The man also gave him the skin of the dead bear and told him to wear it - hence he is called Bearskin.
Within two years the soldier looked as a monster and everyone ran away from him, but as he was kind he always found shelter somewhere, among else at the house of a destitute old man. This happens on the forth year. Bearskin gives the old man money from his magic pocket and tells him not to despair.In gratitude the old man offers him any of his daughters as a wife. The first one runs off screaming, the second doubts Bearsskin is a human beign, however the youngest submits to the marriage. Bearskin is happy, he breaks a ring in two, giving one half to the girl and promisses to come back in three years. After the three years have passed the devil appears again to Bearskin - angry, but admitting that Bearskin has won. Clean and rich Bearskin drives a splendid carriage to his bride's house. No one recognizes him untill he shows the other half of the ring to the girl. The other two sisters were mad form jealousy and killed themselves.
That evening the devil knocked on the door and said "I win after all, I now have two souls instead of one..."

Sar

This was more like a forced solitude rather than an transformation, at least as I see it. And as an introvert I know that it is not good.