Matthews' Arthurian Tarot -- Still Used?

Le Fanu

I hated the Legend one with its Hollywood people and dull Minors and traded it away - never regretted.
LOL. So true. That's the only one I have. I have never quite had the energy to peer through the pallid haze that cover the illustrations.

I have never bought this Arthurian because every time I have gone to amazon, the endless accompanying books and courses have always made me feel, "the deck will never be enough." Even now, the way people talk about the Arthurian Tarot (it's also called the Hallowquest I assume) as a course, a year long course or something. A quest in fact (sounds like work). Then there are all the books I can never distinguish (I can't believe it's just one book. Each time I go to amazon, I swear there's another).

It feels like a whole lifestyle has built up around this deck judging by the merchandise.

Just for everyone's info; a few weeks ago the green box reissue was everywhere, even my local shop always had it in. Now I cannot see it anywhere, so of course I immediately want it. I will shortly be receiving the black-arched one and if I like it (knowing myself) I shall want the white arched ones for comparison purposes. But only a few weeks ago amazon sellers had it for like 5.00 GBP or so. Not any more.

gregory

Clarification: Black plastic with red paper insert... Well, my 1990 one is, anyway.

Patrick Booker

I have the original deck plus a handbook, published by Aquarian in 1990, with a black background surrounding the image. The book is subtitled 'A Hallowquest Handbook'. This must be the earliest version, and is in a plastic case that opens like a book. The handbook fits into the case over the cards.

I also have a larger book, 'Hallowquest', published by Aquarian in 1990, which is more detailed than the handbook. I read this through, and used it for reference. It contains everything in the handbook, plus a lot more.

In addition, I have 'The Aquarian Tarot Course', published by Aquarian in 1993, and just by Caitlin Matthews. This provides a structured course extending over a year, and gives many practical exercises. It goes deeper than 'Hallowquest', and describes the weekend course that I attended at Hawkwood in 1990. I have never worked my way through this book.

I believe that the two books described above were later published as a single volume. The handbook is perfectly adequate, although 'Hallowquest' contains a lot of extra material. I have some recordings on cassette tape by Caitlin Matthews using guided imagery, but this sort of thing doesn't really work for me.

Patrick

Aerin

I have some recordings on cassette tape by Caitlin Matthews using guided imagery, but this sort of thing doesn't really work for me.

Patrick

You have recordings??????

*swoon*

I have the Big Blue Book which is what we followed in the Study Group, or in the case of some are still following (looks at PathWalker).

The deck is still brilliant with or without the book and course and so-on though.

PathWalker

Swooning along with you Aerin :)

Patrick - the recordings are no longer avaliable in any format - so for folks who are working through the course, we envy you having them. Does anyone know if it's possible to transfer material from a tape to a disc?
(hopeful smiley)

Pathwlker :)

Aerin

Just for everyone's info; a few weeks ago the green box reissue was everywhere, even my local shop always had it in. Now I cannot see it anywhere, so of course I immediately want it. I will shortly be receiving the black-arched one and if I like it (knowing myself) I shall want the white arched ones for comparison purposes. But only a few weeks ago amazon sellers had it for like 5.00 GBP or so. Not any more.

Ah but apparently there's a reprinting due about now... apparently ...

Flaxen

I have the 1990 Aquarian Press edition with the black borders and am currently working my way through the Hallowquest course. I'm only a couple of weeks into it but have fallen in love with these cards.

They didn't immediately 'wow' me when I got them but since using them for daily draws and meditating the pictures have come alive.

Like others have said, the scenery is very evocative. I quite often pulled a card that reflects somewhere I know. Sometimes I pull a daily card and later on I find myself in a landscape which is uncannily like that depicted on the card.

It is a wonderfully deep deck with plenty of scope for study which I like.

Melia

Ah but apparently there's a reprinting due about now... apparently ...

And it is still readily available in any case if one looks.