Tell me about your subcollections!

Rhinemaiden

Interesting question! ;) I list my decks on a spreadsheet and did include a category column in case I wanted to sort that way...

-- RWS
-- historical
-- fantasy
-- quirky
-- creepy
-- collage
-- whimsical

there may be others...

Carla

The Trevisan one.

I have a trimmed one, a first edition one, a LoS/Fabbri/Orbis one, a few editions with different boxes (the latest box is gorgeous), a German one, a majors only Tarocchi d'Arte one. I don't quite know why, apart from the fact that it is a deck I like and printings of it are rather eratic. Some glow, some don't, so when I see one, my curiosity gets the better of me in case it's one of the glowing ones... (later editions are better, for anyone curious.)

Oh, that's beautiful!! My search yielded only this one http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/crystal/, which made me flinch in alarm and confusion. (Because it really didn't seem like your sort of deck...)

ETA: I've found images of the full deck elsewhere online, and this one is certainly lovely. :) I wonder why it is called 'Crystal Tarots'.

TigerOwl64

so many great choices out there!

My subcollections:

Egyptian-themed;
Celtic/Druid;
Ciro Marchetti decks;
Energy/Vibrational Oracle decks; and
multi-cultural and foreign language decks (Polish, German).

Celtictarot

My sub collections

Llewellyn

Shadowscapes
(Does my Harmonious count here or is it still a LS?)

Rider

New mythic Tarot (Learning deck)

US Games

Tarot of the Old Path
Goddess Tarot

AG Muller

Angel Tarot

Gerbear

My collections covers many areas which could be considered separately, but the only sub-collections I focus on are Egyptian and B&W decks.

Penthasilia

Historical (in which I include the RWS and Thoth)

Vintage (decks from the 70s and 80s)

New kids (modern decks)

Oracles

Old Bones (runes, ogham, etc)

Accessories- boxes and bags, which I have come to appreciate more lately, and realize they can be just as important as the goods they house.

:)

Bluefeet

My sub-collections:

RWS & Thoth
Pre-Golden Dawn
Lenormand

Metafizzypop

Anything to do with Leonardo da Vinci.

Juliana

I love decks that are playfully creepy and macabre. And I love decks with cute cartoon characters too. But I would say that the only true subcollection I have is science-themed decks, of which I have 3 (Science Tarot, Tarot of Physics, and the Mathematics Tarot). If there were more that I felt fell into the category, I would buy them in an instant. I work in physics, and my degree is in chemistry, so I do adore anything science-related.

desertrat

I love decks that are playfully creepy and macabre. And I love decks with cute cartoon characters too. But I would say that the only true subcollection I have is science-themed decks, of which I have 3 (Science Tarot, Tarot of Physics, and the Mathematics Tarot). If there were more that I felt fell into the category, I would buy them in an instant. I work in physics, and my degree is in chemistry, so I do adore anything science-related.

I have found the Quantum Tarot to be rather sciency also.

I suppose I have rather a lot of sub-collections, although I don't tend to think of my decks in that manner. If I were to categorize, I would divide them up by theme and/or artist rather than publisher. Some of these categories overlap, I'm noticing. Off the top of my head:

Cats/Animals
Vampires
Faeries
Mermaids
Egyptian
Greek/Etruscan
Sensual/Erotic
Love
Goddesses/Gods
Renaissance
decks based on Artists (ex. Botticelli, Klimt)
Science
Wicca
Angels
Celtic
Norse
Middle Eastern (?? I'm not sure if that would be the appropriate title - I am thinking of the Rumi, Thousand and One Nights, Tarot of Marrakech)
Asian
Native American
Manga
different versions of RWS
a few Thoths
Ciro Marchetti
Lisa Hunt
Caroline Smith
Brian Williams
Kat Black
Beth Seilonen
Nigel Jackson
Nathalie Hertz
Doreen Virtue

There are loads of decks that don't really fit into any of these categories.