Sacred Isle Tarot

Siavahda

The Sacred Isle tarot, by David Higgins. Does anyone have this deck? Any opinions? I just came across it online today and the artwork is making me swoon!

WhiteWolfy

The only downside is the thin cardstock but that's just my thoughts, other than that the deck itself (imagery) is fabulous :)

G6

I had this deck briefly before trading it away. The images look better online than they do in the black border edition I received. The cardstock is terrible, the finish is glossy and the cards are BIG, so this decks falls into the BIG FLOPPY CARDS classification. The biggest downside though is the image/print quality seemed fuzzy to me from the brightness/sharpness of the images I saw online.

***Please take my comments with a grain of salt as I am far more picky than the average tarot enthusiast. You might think this is the best deck ever.

Siavahda

I had this deck briefly before trading it away. The images look better online than they do in the black border edition I received. The cardstock is terrible, the finish is glossy and the cards are BIG, so this decks falls into the BIG FLOPPY CARDS classification. The biggest downside though is the image/print quality seemed fuzzy to me from the brightness/sharpness of the images I saw online.

***Please take my comments with a grain of salt as I am far more picky than the average tarot enthusiast. You might think this is the best deck ever.

Oh no, that sounds awful! I'm new to tarot, but I've always been super picky about my oracle cards, which I think transfers over... I wonder if it's just the black-border edition that's terrible though?

gregory

I have it; I had the majors only, and I have both black and white bordered. I LOVE it. I don't recall any issue wit the stock - but I am away from the collection just now, and can't check...

CharlotteK

Yes I have it, I mostly love it though one or two small elements of the artwork i don't like at all (silly things like 80s hair and implausible buttocks), which is completely unreasonable. I have the black bordered version. As mentioned already the,cards are big (too big for the bag they came with) and,very bendy. I have yet to use the deck much but I'm very glad I have it. I think it has a strong personality and the colours create lots of energy.

Alta

I hesitate to post this because by now the print runs may use different cardstock, but here goes. I purchased both the black and white bordered versions near when they first offered and the cardstock is significantly different. The black is thinner and whippier while the white borders have thicker cardstock and are less flexible. Not 'less flexible' like the worst of Schiffers' offerings, but definitely on the stiffer, thicker side.

ETA: at the time I went through the decks card by card and there were some saturation differences but not consistent. i.e. the black might be more saturated on one card and the white on another. Nothing that put me off, I remember noting that at the time.

ET2: The Sacred Isle majors-only deck version is different again, the cardstock is rather like that thick paper you can buy to print photographs and the colours are the most saturated of all.

Siavahda

I hesitate to post this because by now the print runs may use different cardstock, but here goes. I purchased both the black and white bordered versions near when they first offered and the cardstock is significantly different. The black is thinner and whippier while the white borders have thicker cardstock and are less flexible. Not 'less flexible' like the worst of Schiffers' offerings, but definitely on the stiffer, thicker side.

ETA: at the time I went through the decks card by card and there were some saturation differences but not consistent. i.e. the black might be more saturated on one card and the white on another. Nothing that put me off, I remember noting that at the time.

ET2: The Sacred Isle majors-only deck version is different again, the cardstock is rather like that thick paper you can buy to print photographs and the colours are the most saturated of all.

Thank you for going into so much detail, this has helped me a lot in deciding if I want this deck (and which version of it to buy)!

CharlotteK

If I was buying again I would go for the white border version. I ordered this deck originally but changed my mind to black (Michael was very accommodating). Wish I hadn't. I bought directly from the website and also got a T-shirt, which is great quality, just unfortunate that Judgement isn't my favourite card!