21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card; Discussion for the ADEPT level

dadsnook2000

ADEPT LEVEL to start soon.

I have posted an announcement in the Advertising Forum for our Study Group and the soon-to-start ADEPT LEVEL. I am seeking to attract tarot-capable students, part-time readers and others to our group.

For the ADEPT LEVEL series, when it starts in a couple of days, look for threads that are named "ADEPT LEVEL of 21 Ways -- Step XX".

Dave

coyoteblack

So we will do all the steps ? and for the ones I will never use I will just post why?

coyoteblack

Writing is not my strong suit but I will try my best. Seeing as Davies doing a technical review I will write how i felt when I was done and how it improved me as a reader.

kmartin60

Ok, just entering ....

Hi, I noticed your apprentice level the other day and plan on doing the entire study but can I do it along side this adept stage? Or should I wait to join in after I finish the first one?

I am waiting for the "Gothic" tarot that was shipped by Jeanette 2 days ago so should be here by Monday. (Wanted to start with it) BUT here at home Im also doing it offline with 2 decks I found on Ebay (Came with no LWB) that I'm trying to bond with. One is the "Shapeshifter" tarot, but still havent found the name for the 2nd one.

Can I come on board this late? Does this all sound ok? The first course was a awesome read the last several days, either way feel it will help me grow with ANY deck.....going to go shuffle now! grins, Kim

coyoteblack

a few people just started there apprentice level study., the adept is very long I am sure you can catch up.

We tend to backtrack and offer help to those starting out any way.

coyoteblack

I posted my review under my real name I hope my lack of writing skills did not show to bad.

Jewel

Teheuti said:
I'm so excited that you all (all 4 or 5 of you!) are going to take on the adept level of my book.
Mary, I think I can freely speak for us 4 or 5 and say that after what we learned and experienced in the Apprentice Level we could not help but want to continue our studies. Your book is a rare gem, and one that I will definetly use again and again. It was worth all of the time and effort. Thanks to your book I am more comfortable reading tarot, and have expanded my approach in readings. Thank you for writing it.
Teheuti said:
I agree that some steps would work best as a group effort as they were originally designed for group brainstorming in my classes. Not everyone is going to want to do all the activities individually. Others are so involved that you just might want to summarize your experience. Flexibility and creative play are the keys.
I think we have built a very cohesive study group, we are very much like a class in many ways. I know you have followed our progress and have probably noticed that even though we have completed the Apprentice level we try to provide support and encouragement to members who join the study group as they come along. As said above, we know what can be gotten out of this study and want to share that.
Teheuti said:
Activity 3:3 is based on my Emotions Research Project (sponsored by the American Tarot Association), which I'd like to start up again. I've recently learned of a Survey Tool that might make this possible. Of course, to make the survey usable I have to limit everyone to the same deck - the Rider-Waite-Smith. But, I'd love to hear about the experiences you have assigning emotions to the cards in other decks.
Please let us know if we can participate, I am sure some of us would be very interested, I know I would - in addition to the study of my assigned card for 21 Ways.
Teheuti said:
Some of these "Adept" activities take quite a bit of time or are not everyone's cup of tea, so I recommend that you let people continue through the steps even if they don't do every activity. For instance, someone might not have another person with whom s/he can do a reading. Individuals can note the activities they resisted and go back later to see if it's possible to do them at another stage.
Excellent points. One thing I do believe though, is that if anyone participating in the study group would like any of us to be their reading partner we would agree to it in order to ensure they get the full experience of the exercise.
Teheuti said:
Also, I have a special request from those who have completed the Way of the Apprentice: I'd love to have anyone-interested write a review of _21 Ways_ on Amazon. It's rare to get commentary from those who've worked with the book as deeply as you have, and there are not yet many reviews of this book. Feel free to ignore this request (I'm ever hopeful).
Like Dave and Coyoteblack, I would also be happy to do so. I do want to collect my thoughts to ensure to do justice to the experience I had at the Apprentice Level.

Jewel

Study Group Back In Session

OK so due to the hard drive loss, all of our dicsussion about the revival of this study group in this thread was lost. I just wanted to make a post to confirm that this study group is now active again, and all members that started the adept level have agreed to continue.

Dave has generously agreed to be our fearless leader and see us through. (Thank you Dave). Not sure if Mary got my PM about us starting up again, I hope so as I am sure she would like to peek in and see what we are doing every now and again.

Dave had also proposed some great ideas to enhance our study, which were sadly lost. Dave, if it is not much trouble, could you please share those ideas again?

As for the pace of this study group revival ... we know that we are all on different steps. Some of Dave's ideas included activities that are not directly in the book, so perhaps those of us that are caught up to Step 12 can focus on some of those while the group catches up so that we can all move forward together starting with Step 13. Does that sound OK to everyone?

I am really looking forward to our continued work together :D

dadsnook2000

Post-Hard Drive Restoration comments

Yes, we have indeed lost our many communications relative to resuming our 21 Ways To Read A Tarot Card ADEPT LEVEL. All of that took place during the period of posting that was lost. I did not save any of the material that I had written, so the following will offer a brief recall of some of those postings.

I had noted that we, as a group, were at differing steps: Coyoteblack being the caboose (last car) on our train of learning, SqueakMo9 being the locomotive (first to reach step 13) with the rest of us between.

1) I had noted that I thought we might all get a lot out of exploring the court cards from several perspectives, mentioning that there are several philosophies about how to read them and integrate them into a reading. Our modern culture does not have (for most of us) royal court people making an impact in our individual lives. We have the major arcana representing the big "drivers and influences" in terms of character traits and apparent situational pressures. We have the minor arcana, Ace through ten, representing a level or progress cycle through the four suites (feelings, physicalness, thoughts and action). And then we have the court cards.

2) I had also noted that it might be interesting to explore how the context of a card's meaning changes in terms of it position in a spread. How we address the nuances of a card can add depth and range to the meanings we present to those whom we read for.

3) While we all have used many spreads, it might be useful to explore and adopt a "spread tool kit". This would consist of several basic spreads that address the questions we are most typically faced with. In steps 11 and 12, Mary Greer approaches this issue. I'm not sure if she does more of this in later steps as I do not read ahead in the book but do take it a step at a time. For me, I choose to work with fewer spreads---but I am not hesitant to make up a spread that best fits a specific question and set of issues.

4) A few years ago, Lunalafey and I experimented with a "time" tarot spread that seemed to be quite effective. It is a significant variation of the more common "horoscope" or "astrological house" spreads. THIS IS AN INTERESTING SPREAD TO WORK ON WHILE SOME OF CATCH UP.

5) In our postings I have noted Robert Place's method of relating one card to another card. When we did a spread exercise using Cardiwen's spread based on a Nordic myth, the use of Place's method added great detail and insight into the reading.

6) Another "card relationship" issue to consider is how certain suites of cards relate to each other. There is a simple diagram that I refer to often when I want to better understand the typical interaction between suites compared to how I might normally read the spread and cards before me. THIS WOULD BE A SIMPLE AND REWARDING EXERCISE FOR US TO DO WHILE WAITING FOR SOME TO CATCH UP.

Now, this is all that I can recall, plus some additional thoughts. I will print out a copy for the records. The group can express their interest in which of my suggestions, or other suggestions, they would most like to explore as a "kick off" party. Dave

Jewel

I am interested in exploring your 6th bullet about card relationships. I am actually working on Step 16 in 21 Ways right now and I think that the relationship work might be beneficial as it will come into play in Step 16 ... I will say no more :)

I am also really interested in the study of of the court cards. But I agree this would be best once everyone is caught up. Please make sure and give Coyoteblack a deadline for his step 9 ... he likes those and says they really help him stay on track, honest!

I should be hooking up my printer/scanner to my home computer this weekend and am trying to get Time Warner out on the 19th and see if I can finally get my home computer connected so I can post pictures of some of the exercises and post over the weekends as well. I know ... I have been saying this for a year *LOL*, but I really am working on it now ~chuckles~.