A General Reading Spread?

Albedo

I've used this spread for some who had no questions or issues they could pinpoint.

In this spread, I read the Minors; should a Major pop up, I place it under the next card giving it more strength or influence.

On the surface, it is a 12 card spread but if Majors keep popping up, as many as 24 cards could be used.

The first card is merely the beginning of a no order spread, only the first of any suit has a place in the first column; say it is a wands card, then any other wand cards turned up will be to the sides of it...first to the left, then the right, then farther left, then farther right. The first card of another suit goes directly below the first wand.

If the reading is well balanced, then it should look like this (not necessarily in the same suit order)

PAST/ PRESENT/ FUTURE or awareness
wand....wand(1)...wand (wands as in creativity, action)
sword...sword.....sword (swords as in beliefs, ethics, etc)
pent.....pent.......pent (pents as in worldly, material)
cup......cup........cup (cups for emotions, relations)

Of course, most spreads wont be as balanced. Another spread could look like this:

farther..past...present..future..farther
.....................cup(1)............
wand...wand...wand....wand....wand
pent....pent.....pent.....pent
..........sword....sword

I also crossread this spread as the top row as the head(in thoughts firstly), second row chest (heart, caring), third row stomach (instincts, fears) and last row leg (actions)

Now I'm wondering if this is too confusing...because in practice, it isn't confusing at all.

At any rate, it works very well for me at least.

Moonbow

Hi Albedo, welcome to Aeclectic.

This is interesting, a spread without Majors! Having just tried this spread to understand it, I have a couple of questions:

If the first card that I pulled was a Major do I ignore that card?

my spread looks like this:

PAST PRESENT FUTURE
baton..baton...............
..........coin................
cup......cup................
.........sword.............

The next card was a baton so where does that go, or have I finished the layout?

It looks like there is no future, unless I am doing something wrong?

Albedo

Moonbow* said:
Hi Albedo, welcome to Aeclectic.

This is interesting, a spread without Majors! Having just tried this spread to understand it, I have a couple of questions:

If the first card that I pulled was a Major do I ignore that card?

my spread looks like this:

PAST PRESENT FUTURE
baton..baton...............
..........coin................
cup......cup................
.........sword.............

The next card was a baton so where does that go, or have I finished the layout?

It looks like there is no future, unless I am doing something wrong?

The Major card goes under the first suit card - under that first baton. You keep going until you have 12 cards showing (any Majors would be underneath). If you pull another Major, then that one goes under the next suit card you pull. Having a Major left over after the spread is full could be an influence over the whole spread.

It was confusing huh?

Sinduction

I love non-spread spreads. It is a bit confusing but perhaps just giving it a try will make sense.

It seems that this spread would give more of a focus to the issue at hand. And I like that it could also be read in order of importance. This would make planning easier. Like if cups show up before wands that would suggest to me that the emotions would need to be in order before my sitter took any action.

I'm so trying this! Thanks for sharing. :D

Moonbow

Hi Albedo, thanks for the clarification. So once I have laid down the last Sword I then fill it the gaps up to 12 cards.

I think I will enjoy this spread too. I would say most of my clients had no question so this could get a lot of us.

Sinduction

Ok, so what do you do if you pull 2 majors? This happened to me twice so I put them both on the next minor card I pulled.

I'm also wondering how the Past, Present, Future works into this if you don't have enough cards, or even too many cards.

Here's how my spread looks: (and I swear I shuffled into 5 piles, then 7)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
5 pents, Q pents, 2 pents, 6 pents (with empress and wheel), 9 pents (justice, hanged man)

10 wands, 9 wands, 8 wands

King Cups (Strength), 2 cups, Knight Cups
-----------------------------------------
Now for the lines that have 3 cards, do I read them PPF?

And what about that very first card I draw? Is that a past or present? Or do I just tell it like a story?

I'm so intrigued by this spread/nonspread. :D Teach me! I want to learn...

Albedo

Sinduction said:
And I like that it could also be read in order of importance. This would make planning easier. Like if cups show up before wands that would suggest to me that the emotions would need to be in order before my sitter took any action.

Exactly!

Albedo

Sinduction said:
Ok, so what do you do if you pull 2 majors? {I USE THEM IN ORDER..FIRST MAJOR UNDER FIRST SUIT...THE SECOND MAJOR UNDER THE SECOND SUIT...I'VE HAD AS MANY AS 8 MAJORS WAITING IN LINE}This happened to me twice so I put them both on the next minor card I pulled. {BUT THIS COULD WORK TOO...PRETTY STRONG THEN}

I'm also wondering how the Past, Present, Future works into this if you don't have enough cards, or even too many cards. {it's even possible to have all cards in one line if you pull all the same suit...that would be a strong feeling}

Here's how my spread looks: (and I swear I shuffled into 5 piles, then 7)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
5 pents, Q pents, 2 pents, 6 pents (with empress and wheel), 9 pents (justice, hanged man)

10 wands, 9 wands, 8 wands

King Cups (Strength), 2 cups, Knight Cups
-----------------------------------------
Now for the lines that have 3 cards, do I read them PPF?{YES..THE FIRST CARD PLACED IS THE PRESENT}

And what about that very first card I draw? Is that a past or present? {THE VERY FIRST OF EACH SUIT IS PRESENT} Or do I just tell it like a story?

I'm so intrigued by this spread/nonspread. :D Teach me! I want to learn...

I just hope I'm not mixing you up, haha.

Albedo

Oh, and for past and future...it would be like a timeline...the farther left a card is, then it's farther back in time.......likewise, the farther right a card is...farther into the future (tho I wouldn't put time into play, I would read as next..then next..then next).

Also, the farther back in time just shows those lessons are needed for the present and future...or at least considered.

Astraea Aurora

Albedo, thanks for providing your spread. I like it's simplicity. :thumbsup:

I still have a question. You said you stop when there are 12 cards dealt. 12 cards only from Minors or 12 in total (including Majors)?

Astraea Aurora :grin: