High Priestess

Shanti

Does anyone know the meaning the Golden Dawn intended for TORA, written on the scholarly document that the HP is holding? Thanks.

Starling

Shanti said:
Does anyone know the meaning the Golden Dawn intended for TORA, written on the scholarly document that the HP is holding? Thanks.

I believe they are referring to the 5 books of Moses. Old Testament.

Abrac

I don't know if there is a Golden Dawn connection, but if so, it would most likely be through Kabbalah. As Starling said, the Torah commonly refers to the first five books of the Old Testament. The word literally means "teaching" or "instruction."

Starling

I believe there is a Golden Dawn connection. TORA also shows up on the Wheel of Fortune card.

Sophie

The word "Torah" is a tricky one, because it can mean different things in different contexts. In its most limited sense, "Torah" refers to the Five Books of Moses: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy. But the word "torah" can also be used to refer to the entire Jewish bible (the body of scripture known to non-Jews as the Old Testament and to Jews as the Tanakh or Written Torah), or in its broadest sense, to the whole body of Jewish law and teachings.

From Judaism 101.

The link to the Golden Dawn would be via Kabbalah, as it is impossible to study the mysteries of the Kabbalah without first studying Torah (in the wider sense). But that's only the first step. A Kabbalist studies deeply, but alongside study, meditates and visualises in order to apprehend the mysteries from the inside. The High Priestess is the guardian of those mysteries, especially of the mysterious, unwritten, inner Torah, which is the aim of all Kabbalists to discover for themselves. She is both book-learned and beyond books - she has travelled into the inner meaning of Torah, the inner law of God and the Universe.

Starling

Ah, excellent. Finally a deeper meaning from someone who knows. Thanks.

Shanti

High Priestess/Torah question

Thank you so much for answering the question!

cherylleebest

the word "Torah" being partially covered

Fudugazi said:
The High Priestess .... is both book-learned and beyond books - she has travelled into the inner meaning of Torah, the inner law of God and the Universe.

I like this quote. It sums up how I feel about the High Priestess.

"Book-learned" - The High Priestess represents vast factual knowledge: that which can be read, and subsequently that which can be accessed by acting upon and following up what has been read and studied.
"Beyond books" - the word "Torah" being partially covered hints at the esoteric side of the High Priestess' knowledge. It goes beyond human understanding. She knows what is hidden, implied and what lies behind the facade.