House game

wizzle

Here's a game about houses and their meanings.

The rules:

Select a game or sport. Assign the game/sport to a house. Explain why that game should be in that particular house. Karma points will be awarded if the explanation avoids references to signs. I'll start off with a couple of games.

Peek-a-boo - 1st house

Peek a boo is a game usually played by an very young child and an older person, father, mother, sister, etc. The game has no rules and requires no equipment. At it's simplest, the older player covers his face/eyes with hands, and then peeks out and says "peek a boo." The younger player follows suit. The younger player will almost invariably carry this game to "the next level" by hiding being sofas or other large objects and then emerging to yell peek a boo. There is absolutely nothing competitive about this game. It's sole purpose seems to be to interface (the essential meaning of the 1st house) with the world.

Inasmuch as houses can signify the unfolding of time within the natal horoscope, this was a game I associate with the very beginning of life, which is another meaning for the first house.

Pick up sticks - 2nd house

A simple game where two opponents try to pick up as many sticks as possible. The sticks are slender sticks, pointed at both ends and similar in size to bamboo skewers used for bbq. Each player may pick up sticks so long as he doesn't move any stick other than one being picked up. If another stick moves, his turn is over and the opponent may pick up sticks. The game is started by dropping the sticks. Some will roll out to the edge of the playing surface and are easy to pick up. But the majority will clump into a pile and manual dexterity is required to move the stick off the pile so that it can be picked up.

I associate this game with the 2nd house because the equipment and rules are so simple. Yet, the game introduces the idea of both rules and competition so it is a step beyond the very fundamental game of peek-a-boo. Also, this game is all about manual dexterity. It's manipulating matter at a pretty basic level. Nothing fancy...just pick up those sticks. The second house is ruled by the planet Venus and it's sigel is the baked potato (contrary to what you've read). Therefore "hot potato" is another game that fits nicely with this house.

dadsnook2000

8th House

THE COURTING GAME -- the 8th house
Relationships are often associated with the 7th house, while love is tied to the 5th house. So, why should the courting ritual be associated with the 8th house?

Courting is often initiated by the male -- or at least he thinks so. Part of this process is expressing the value one finds in the other -- the 2nd house of the 7th house (also known as the 8th house). Another part of the process is that of bestowing gifts -- the 8th house in addition to all of its other attributes is also the house of "unequal sharing" -- gaining one thing for another thing. Physical gifts for an emotional response? An older man giving wealth/status for the attention of a younger lady?

So, in the narrow way I've framed this statement, courting can be an 8th house game. I'm sure with a little thought that we can frame aspects of establishing a relationship such that we can relate it to other houses, but that is what astrology is all about. Have fun with this. A nice idea, Wizzle. Dave.

wizzle

Glad you like the game.

Well, darn it Dad, if it hadn't been for your post about the importance of houses, I never would have thought of this game at all. I really need to excercise my noodle about the meaning of the houses without clouding it over with "the signs."

prudence

the 3 legged race - 7th house

2 people are tied together by their ankles, right leg of one person to left leg of other person. Teammates must work together as one unit to run a race against others tied in the same manner.

7th house deals with partnership, so it seems like the right one for this "sport"/game.

isthmus nekoi

binge drinking games - 12th house.

See what hidden thoughts and emotions suddenly surface. Watch the archaic "reptile brain" come out and play.

wizzle

the Aeclectic binge drinking game

Good observation, IN

We could make this a specifically AT game by knocking one back every time someone mentions their sun sign. Should keep us fairly snozzled.

Astrid, I think you are right on with the 3 legged race. When I thought about a 7th house game I thought more in terms of one on one competitions. But your observations about the need for cooperation are waaaaay better than my take.

Moongold

Team sports - 11th House

Football, hockey basketball, softball - any team game - are played in the 11th House. Watch out for the windows folks :)

The 11th house is the house of groups - where we gang out with people who have common interests - and in early life I used to love team sports, especially hockey. In sports we can get together with a collective purpose and it can be fun.

prudence

king/queen of the hill
~ kids clamor to the top of a hill or mound, and shove each other out of the way to be the one at the peak of the hill/mound, and crowned king/queen

10th house because it is the house of social status and achievement, "I am King of the mountain!"

spin the bottle
~people sit in circle, with a bottle in the center, lying on its side. The bottle is spun, and the person it points to after it finishes rotating, the spinner must kiss.

5th house, since it is the house of romance and pleasure

dadsnook2000

Moongold's 11th house

I thought Moongold's comments on the 11th house were just a wee bit to glib and quick, not enough substance. So, to play with everyone's heads, I'm going to introduce us all to another way of looking at a "house", if you'll be so accomodating, Moongold.

The 11th house is the 2nd house of the 10th house. Got that everyone? If you start at the 10th, its 2nd house is the 11th. Simple counting but a little mind-blowing the first time or two. So, the standard meaning of a 2nd house implies security based on personal effort. THIS MIGHT EQUATE TO TEAM BUILDING FROM THE POINT OF VIEW OF A COACH. The coach of a team builds team capabilities as an extension of his own skills and values. Got it?

The 11th is also the 3rd house of the 9th house. Counting again from the 9th house. The importance of education and preparation (a 9th house thing) and staying informed reminds me of A CHESS MASTER. So, the 11th house Chess Master would study past games and study his opponents and carefully prepare for each match.

The 11th is also the 4th house of the 8th house. Count. Here caution about investments and preparation for the future seems important. Perhaps in this case we can see the 11th representing A WEIGHT LIFTER who has to be very precise in his body building and cautious about joints and bones and tendons.

The 11th is also the 5th house of the 7th. Sharing and creativity with others so that they can achieve -- this is suggestive of ARCHITECTS COMPETING FOR A CITY AWARD.

By now you can see how this goes. Each house is a place where it can be reflective of many types of experience. It all depends upon how you link it to another house. Most astrologers use rulerships as the basis for linking. As an example, you have Mars in the 3rd and Mars rules the Aries 7th. The seventh house would be the 5th of the 3rd. Mars would work creatively thru communicative ways to influence others -- as one example. If you feel comfortable with this approach then play with it. If you are just beginning then merely recognize that there is a lot of sophistication ahead of you when you are ready for it. Dave. And Moongold, I didn't mean to pick on you. Just thought I'd test the waters to see who might be ready for some deeper games.