Cusp Sun Signs

Voron

From a previous post

Actually, there are valid arguments for the inclusion of cusps, but not what many people think. The Sun and the Moon are each roughly 30 arcminutes (1/2 a degree) wide. The Sun moves approximately 1 degree a day, the Moon, an average of about a degree every 2 hours (but it varies). So there exists a roughly 12 hour period where the Sun is *physically* straddling the imaginary line between the signs, and about an hour when the Moon is physically between two signs. (From about 29 deg 45' in one sign to about 00 deg 15' in the other.)

Now, we could get all technical, and use trigonometry and calculate what percentage of the disc of the Sun or Moon is in each sign, and we would find that the percentage is very low unless one is very clode to the dividing line. I think this is valid, as it follows visual symbolic logic ("as above, so below"), but is kindof overkill.

Now there's one school of thought that thinks that when the mid-point of the Luminary in question crosses the line there's a "quantum leap" to the next signs energy -- the other side would say it's a gradual shifting of energies when the planet is physically in both signs. In the situations I've seen, for clients who are *very* close to the border where I have to go with my observations -- that cusps are valid in rare cases. But only for times when the planet/luminary is in both signs.

For the other planets, their apparent visible disk is smaller that the valid cusp-time in question is very rare indeed, but still can happen, and can be calculated. For example, Jupiter is currently 31.3 arcseconds wide, and it travels that distance currently in about 57 or 58 minutes. Mind you, Jupiter changes signs only once a year (except for retrograde motion on a cusp).

to calculate apparent disk:
http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/diskmap.html

Edited to add: Being born September 20th, people always ask me if I'm a cusp. With the Sun at 27Vir30 (or spanning the zodiac from about 27Vir15 - 27Vir45, if you prefer) I deny it outright.

Voron

Midnight Lioness said:
DOB: 7/22/1961
TOB: 8:30 PM
POB: Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA.

Really, there are days I don't know who I am!!!

Your Sun's at 29 Cancer 55'

If there is any validity to cusps, you're it. And I think there is.

A very rough estimate is that about 30% of the Sun was in Leo when you were born -- not that percentages matter, though.

Leo-Cancer. Makes me think of several things: Brainstorming/free-associating:
Hollywood Moms, Tutenkhamen's tomb, Child King, Children's plays, L'enfant Terrible, Melodrama, Designer Homes, Martha Stewart, pop psychology, Kephera, a Castle, birthday party, kitty cat, reflecting pool, day at the beach, surfing a big wave, Independence day fireworks.

Midnight Lioness

Voron said:
Your Sun's at 29 Cancer 55'

If there is any validity to cusps, you're it. And I think there is.

A very rough estimate is that about 30% of the Sun was in Leo when you were born -- not that percentages matter, though.

Leo-Cancer. Makes me think of several things: Brainstorming/free-associating:
Hollywood Moms, Tutenkhamen's tomb, Child King, Children's plays, L'enfant Terrible, Melodrama, Designer Homes, Martha Stewart, pop psychology, Kephera, a Castle, birthday party, kitty cat, reflecting pool, day at the beach, surfing a big wave, Independence day fireworks.

Who are you adn how did you get inside my head?! Except for "L'enfant Terrible, "Hollywood Moms," & "Kephera," all of the things you list are either part of my experiences or dreams! Wow!

dadsnook2000

How to deal with "cusps"

When one is trying to decide whether one's Sun or other planet is on the "cusp" between two signs, there are some considerations to be made.

First, how "close" must one be to the cusp? As we have seen from my views on EnglishRose's chart, one can exhibit attributes of another sign without their Sun being "near" that sign's cusp -- this all being due to other factors. So, how "close" is "close?" One degree, three degrees, five degrees -- where do you draw the line?

Second, we need to consider just what is a "sign?" Astrology used to use the star background as a reference to view and measure planetary, Sun and Moon movement. No signs, just constellations as a background guide, each culture having their own perceived constellations or star groupings. Later in astrological history they realized that the seasons were not quite in line with the rising of certain stars -- due to the precession of the equinoxes. They were able to figure out where the "spring" point was at that time and made this the start of "Aries" along with a mathematical construct of 12 signs of 30 degrees each -- this being used as the reference or measuring tool of planetary movement.

So, again, what is a sign? The constellation names and associations were carried over into the sign format. When you look at the whole cycle of sign meanings, they have a "whole" interpretive meaning. Each sign has its own meaning which is an integral part of the whole -- the parts and the whole make up an interpretive system on one hand, and a measuring system on the other hand. The sign system is essentially "cyclic."

Third, I would like you to consider just what a cycle is? It is a continuing, repeatable, regular process of change. We often see cycles represented as a sine-wave. There are no "cusps." It is easy to view a sine wave cycle as having four areas: the rising/above the median part of the curve, the falling/ above the median part of the curve, the falling/below the median part of the curve, and the rising/below the median part of the curve. Dividing the cycle into twelve instead of four parts is just an effort to parse the meaning and the cyclic zones into more detail.

Finally, given all of this, how do we treat signs and cusps? I would suggest that you forget about emphasizing the "closeness" to the cusp in terms of degrees and instead just blend the cuspal-condition into your synthesis, your interpretation of the body-in-a-sign-and-near-a-cusp. This makes it so much easier.

We have two broad things to learn in order to be an effective astrologer.
A) We have to learn the mechanics of charts, astronomy, astrology, math, and the meanings of aspects, planets, signs, houses, etc.
B) We have to learn the art of blending and interpreting all of this so as to be able to communicate clearly with a client. To do this we eliminate astro- babble or technical jargon, and we just talk plain talk to the client as part of the two-way dialog with them.

Just my thoughts. Dave

Voron

Midnight Lioness said:
Who are you adn how did you get inside my head?! Except for "L'enfant Terrible, "Hollywood Moms," & "Kephera," all of the things you list are either part of my experiences or dreams! Wow!
*bows*
My name's Voron, and I'll be here all night! ;)

Seriously though, I spent a lot of time trying to come up with archetyes for the cusps, because they seem to present such a challenge. It makes me very interested in the 78 card astrology oracles where they have 12 cards for the pure signs, and then 66 cards for each "blended pair" (they do every combination of signs, not just cusps. I know there's at least a couple decks out there, some with better blends than others. The one I've seen isn't very helpful on Cancer-Leo though: It just shows a naked man and woman back to back holding hands in front of a tree with different environments on either side -- tropical beach night for the woman, and brisk mountain day for the Man.

others cusps achetypes I've thought of:

Leo-Virgo: Prima Donna
Virgo-Libra: Fashionista
Libra-Scorpio: Gothic Beauty
Scorpio-Sag: Priest (as in last rites or a confessional)
Sag-Capricorn: Entrepreneur
Cap-Aqu: Starship Commander
Aqu-Pis: Social Reformer
Pis-Ari: Jedi
Ari-Tau: Hedonist
Tau-Gem: DJ
Gem-Can: Photographer / Video Journalist