Book depository order

olivia1

It's simply because amazon bought them out. Amazon want everyone to pay for Prime. Amazon itself is also way slower than it used to be for non-Prime users. I still use BD because postage IS free, and also because their return policy is second to none. Instant response; and if it was their error you get to keep the item, and they send you another !

I ordered from the book depository USA through amazon and I got charged shipping. Thanks a lot, amazon. I think if I had free shipping, I would be a tad bit more understanding about the delay. It seems they went downhill since amazon acquired them. I'm still surprised because when I ordered from amazon (from their site and directly from them) in the past, they were really good.

A michaels

delivery

Hi yes ive had quite a few orders from them and on average they've taken around a fortnight, which I think is along time considering its only in the uk, ive ordered books and new tarot decks from other places and its been about a week,
very annoying when your waiting, even worse if its a birthday gift, maybe we should complain, if enough people did maybe they might take a look at their delivery system, good luck hope you get your order soon. x

A michaels

shipping

Amazon are terrible with their shipping costs, in the last couple of months ive had a lot of orders and they've had 38 quid in shipping costs , one company charged me double post on two small books through amazon, it puts you of, has anyone noticed that if you go in the used section of amazon the prices are as high and sometimes higher than buying your product new, I think its scandalous, if I can I buy from ebay depending on the price of course, I complained to amazon recently about their used goods prices, and didn't get much of an explanation back, its within Amazons power to set up bounderies on the prices of second hand goods so I cant understand why their allowing it to go on.

gregory

I ordered from the book depository USA through amazon and I got charged shipping. Thanks a lot, amazon. I think if I had free shipping, I would be a tad bit more understanding about the delay. It seems they went downhill since amazon acquired them. I'm still surprised because when I ordered from amazon (from their site and directly from them) in the past, they were really good.
Amazon shoved them downhill. BUT - if you see them on the amazon site, go to THEIR store and order - then you do get free shipping. Amazon sets their postage on the amazon site, as they own them.

I stick with BD partly for the free postage and partly because they are easier to deal with than amazon when things do go pearshaped - especially with a marketplace seller - as they often do within the postal services - which is not a seller's fault. (Thinks of the printer I ordered from a marketplace seller that went awol shortly after Christmas - amazon were useless and just kept saying contact the seller (well, sure - but THEY were the ones took my money !) but the seller stepped up and did everything necessary - I got a good one in the end - they helped me source it, since the one that went missing was discontinued...)

If you can't wait - sure, stick with amazon and pay for Prime. But the expectation of instant gratification is the source of so much stress these days. By contrast I got a deck not long ago that I'd ordered so long ago I'd forgotten about it. That was a delightful surprise.

Don't ever back anything on kickstarter if you feel this way, by the way. Better than 75% of the time they are more than spectacularly late...

gregory

Amazon are terrible with their shipping costs, in the last couple of months ive had a lot of orders and they've had 38 quid in shipping costs , one company charged me double post on two small books through amazon, it puts you of, has anyone noticed that if you go in the used section of amazon the prices are as high and sometimes higher than buying your product new, I think its scandalous, if I can I buy from ebay depending on the price of course, I complained to amazon recently about their used goods prices, and didn't get much of an explanation back, its within Amazons power to set up bounderies on the prices of second hand goods so I cant understand why their allowing it to go on.
Amazon UK or US ? Incidentally - when a marketplace seller on amazon has two items up there they are not ALLOWED to combine postage and are in fact SUPPOSED to send out two separate packages "in case it gets lost and you lose on more than one purchase" they said when I complained. I had this with a seller once, and they told me this, and - to give them credit - put a block of stamps in one of the books. That was when I tried complaining to amazon.

Also on ebay - I was selling a MASSIVE book once - and ebay would not allow me to add more than £2 postage - it was going to cost £7. So I added to the price and put a note in the description that the price was high because it would cost me that to mail it; it weighed around 3 kg. Postage is hell these days, to be fair to everyone.

Astraea

Amazon has gotten so big that it no longer projects the very thing that made it great: the illusion that the customer comes first. Over the past year, I've noticed subtle changes that signaled a kind of arrogance and nerviness - sneaky practices like the button-plcement issue (discussed above), delayed shipping, careless packaging, difficulty finding reviews by non-verified buyers, and more. They still have good customer service in terms of their return policy and being able to speak to a real person, but something is changing in regard to the corporate tone.

For example, several months ago I received a damaged $13 deck, and they told me not to bother returning it. I thanked them, and thought no more about it. Then two days ago, I received a very snippy email demanding the item be returned or I'd be charged for it - they had even attached a return label "for my convenience." Fortunately, I had a record of that transaction and could demonstrate that I had not acted in bad faith. But wow, was I shocked to have been treated that way - I've spent thousands of dollars at Amazon since 1993 and have been a Prime member ever since they started that "club."

Book Depository's performance suffered after the takeover by Amazon. It just seems as if Amazon has gotten too big for its corporate britches, and they're beginning to turn customers off - this customer, anyway.

Annabelle

Yes, I live in the US, and usually find that orders from BD take a while to arrive.

But, sometimes their prices beat Amazon's :).

Ballerina

I have been ordering occasionally from BD UK (to Canada) for the past couple years and have never had any problems. Arrival times have varied but nothing has been unreasonable.

I've been very pleased with the service and love the no-hassle free shipping with no minimum.

barefootlife

I've never used them before, but just ordered a deck today from the UK shipping warehouse. I'll keep y'all posted on how long it takes to get to the States.

olivia1

Amazon shoved them downhill. BUT - if you see them on the amazon site, go to THEIR store and order - then you do get free shipping. Amazon sets their postage on the amazon site, as they own them.

I stick with BD partly for the free postage and partly because they are easier to deal with than amazon when things do go pearshaped - especially with a marketplace seller - as they often do within the postal services - which is not a seller's fault. (Thinks of the printer I ordered from a marketplace seller that went awol shortly after Christmas - amazon were useless and just kept saying contact the seller (well, sure - but THEY were the ones took my money !) but the seller stepped up and did everything necessary - I got a good one in the end - they helped me source it, since the one that went missing was discontinued...)

If you can't wait - sure, stick with amazon and pay for Prime. But the expectation of instant gratification is the source of so much stress these days. By contrast I got a deck not long ago that I'd ordered so long ago I'd forgotten about it. That was a delightful surprise.

Don't ever back anything on kickstarter if you feel this way, by the way. Better than 75% of the time they are more than spectacularly late...

Instant gratification? I purchased rana george book on Amazon from a third party seller. Same day as the Leno cards. I paid the same price for shipping as I did for the Leno cards. the book is much heavier. Yet I got the book sometime ago. What's the explanation for that other than BD probably had to get the cards because they didn't have them on hand? Anything over a week waiting time for domestic is unreasonable for something as small as Leno cards. Also, not sure where everyone else lives but packages directly from Amazon ( not prime) has only taken 3-4 days max to arrive for me....