Refreshing a Tarot deck

Aromage

Hello everyone, I'm a newbie in Tarot reading and recently I've read about refreshing a tarot deck after using it for a while. Some documents say that we have to do it to refresh the energy in the deck, but others say that it depends on the reader to do it or not. So, is it necessary to refresh a tarot deck? And if we don't, could we still be able to read it accurately? I hope to see some opinion about this subject from everyone, thank you.

barefootlife

I think the answer to this is probably 'you do you'. Sometimes I pick up a deck and feel inspired to re-order it, or turn around all the reversals. If I haven't used a deck in awhile, I'll handle it, shuffling the cards and just kind of brushing off the metaphorical dust. Store your cards with crystals if that seems right to you, cleanse them in moonlight, toss them in your bag and carry them everywhere, sleep with them under your pillow. The thing about this hobby is that you don't 'have' to do anything, since it's all about intuition. Does it seem right to you? Then do it.

Farzon

Completely agree!

Tarot cards are not like rechargeable batteries, so I don't think they need any kind of refreshing. When I started reading I used to put them back in order every time.

I think it's all about believing. Do you feel your cards need cleansing or something the like? Then my guess would be that you are the one in need for some ritual to mark a new start. And rituals can be very beautiful! So if you like to refresh them in some way just go ahead. But if it's starting to bother you, remember to stay open to new ways of treating your cards and your reading practice.

decan

I never thought about to "refresh" a deck.
Well, it depends on what do you really mean by "refresh"; if you mean recharge I don't see the need for doing it (personally).

If by "refresh" you mean to drive away some negative energies that other people can bring -in some way- by touching your deck, it is something that I can understand.
My decks aren't touched by other people, that's a personal practice, but I can understand someone who would like "to cleanse" a deck.
I don't know how to do this! Maybe with some purification incense? White sage incense?

Farzon

I never thought about to "refresh" a deck.
Well, it depends on what do you really mean by "refresh"; if you mean recharge I don't see the need for doing it (personally).

If by "refresh" you mean to drive away some negative energies that other people can bring -in some way- by touching your deck, it is something that I can understand.
My decks aren't touched by other people, that's a personal practice, but I can understand someone who would like "to cleanse" a deck.
I don't know how to do this! Maybe with some purification incense? White sage incense?
After reading for other people I like to reorder the cards completely. Maybe, I'm a refresher, myself then! [emoji2]

Barleywine

The only refreshing I do is a thorough randomizing between uses (just the opposite of putting them back in order). They are then put in proper order for the reading via the shuffle and cut. I also don't think they accumulate any kind of a "charge," either positive or negative. I find that decks that are put back in order before use lend themselves to "clumping" of cards in a series, so if I'm going to have to thoroughly randomize them again before using them anyway, I might as well just start there. Over the years I've dropped many of the more mystical preparations I used to do with the cards; any "clearing" I might do now applies to the reading space and the participants, chiefly myself.

celticnoodle

I sometimes do put them back in order, though its really not to refresh them or anything. Its just a thing I do and have always done even with playing cards after I'd play a card game. I always have a deck of cards, whether its playing cards, tarot or oracle, and like to shuffle them and then put them in order. Sort of like a nervous tic, I guess, I just have always done this since childhood and continue to do it still many, many years later.

I don't really think cards need to be re-energized or refreshed or anything like that. Its more like the reader themselves that require that after a reading! Just a good shuffle in between readings to make sure the cards are well scattered again is all that is required for a card reading.

Aromage

You can do whatever you believe!!

So, you can do anything you want, as long as you feel comfortable when you read the cards. The main point is to make your mind clear and relax, and let your intuition led you. How strange when just some normal decks that were printed all over the world in almost the same factory can do some effect to the reader and the other way round, and, last but not least, can even predict the future.

Ruby Jewel

Hello everyone, I'm a newbie in Tarot reading and recently I've read about refreshing a tarot deck after using it for a while. Some documents say that we have to do it to refresh the energy in the deck, but others say that it depends on the reader to do it or not. So, is it necessary to refresh a tarot deck? And if we don't, could we still be able to read it accurately? I hope to see some opinion about this subject from everyone, thank you.

I like to put a crystal on top of the deck for a few minutes to cleanse the energy.

Tanga

Do it if you believe! :) :) And in any way you like.

I love ritual - so I could make up all sorts of things here.
I don't often refresh/cleanse/"re-set" my decks. (or should I say - refresh/cleanse/"re-set" my brain
in such a way ;) ).

Here are some ideas:

1) As has been suggested - wave some smoking sage (or other "purifying" herb. It can be one you've decided is purifying - doesn't have to be an "accepted" one) over your deck, whilst you imagine the desired effect for it.

2) Ring a bell/bowl/tuning fork/clap your hands over it, and ask it to be cleansed.

3) Place it on your windowsill under a full moon.

4) Place it in the middle of a crystal grid - if you have some clear quartz points you could have them pointing outwards from the cards first, to "direct unwanted frequencies away" - and then pointing inwards to "draw fresh new energy in".

5) Stick a cleansing crystal on top of it. I have a smokey quartz skull that serves this purpose nicely.

6) Place it on your Amethyst crystal bed, or other.

7) Tap it with your favourite magick wand and say "Clean up now please!".

8) Place your deck on your Altar, call the four Quarters (Elements - Earth, Air, Fire and Water) and draw a magick circle around it.
Then petition your Guides/guardians/specific Deities/Angels to refresh the deck.

9) Place your deck on a piece of silk on the floor/Altar, draw a banishing pentagram over it, then walk around it chanting a banishing spell...

Round about this circle bound
May my magickal deck be sound
Fresh and bright may it now be
Shining as star for/of ME!
;)

Or alternatively, draw some other sacred symbol over it (Cross, Jewish Star etc.) and say a prayer.

Etc. etc. etc.