Phrases to empower your client?

ilikeskittles

I don't read professionally, just for friends/family, but if there's a negative card or outcome I try to point out the positive side to that as well, or tell them what they can change about the situation to make it better. It's hard to say without knowing which cards are pulled, but basically putting a positive spin on each part of the reading as a whole so that the person feels they have some degree of control, and walks away feeling empowered, not like they've fallen victim to the fate of the cards or something. As far as conveying your understanding, I would just say exactly what you feel the cards mean, don't worry about explaining things a certain way. Then offer positive aspects if needed. If you've been unclear or they have a question, they can ask and you can always clarify!

nisaba

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had any book recommendations or advice on how to talk to and empower clients.

Why don't you just read the cards? Even the most negatve card contains within it the seeds of a suggestion that will help the client manage the situation to get the best possible result. Using carefully-chosen "phrases" will just sound condescending - just read the cards. :)

MidnightSunAK

I'm soooo glad I joined this community. I really didn't expect so much help, literally everyone gave me useful advice! Thank you all for your time and help :)

peacewing

I also recommend picking up a book on therapeutic communication, or signing up for a therapy and/or counseling class! It'll add so much more.

Jenn2211

ah! There is a great book on this called on becoming a counselor. Its for people who arent counselors but find theirselves in spot of counseling others.

Maru

I would not focus so much on how crafty your interpretations are in the very beginning. Every reader has their own style and different specialties they like to focus on. You kinda find your own voice when you have read enough... if you're having issues though and you mainly read in text, try reading over voice (like Skype or something). That may also help you to make your thoughts more concise, rather than long-form. I feel like doing a little bit of both, text and voice (no video), helps to really build up your ability to communicate better with your clients... in general, not just Tarot.

Maybe also start journaling and once or twice a week, sit down and write down everything that spills out of your Tarot brain into your journal surrounding an interesting subject either relating around a certain card and it's special meanings for you or a specific readings interpretation. Something that energizes you. Read it out loud to yourself in the front of the mirror. If it sounds weird, iterate in the next journal and keep going until you improve. Eventually you will find your voice better conveys what you mean through both text and voice and you'll maybe have kicked up some new "branches" you can take a reading if you somehow get stuck on an interpretation in the future.

Also, it may be helpful to write a small outline in the beginning of the reading so you don't lose focus. So if you read over voice or you are interacting them, jot down notes... there is something about the process of writing that really helps to degum the works for me. Probably because our brain is trained to respond to the act of writing like when we take notes in school.... I have binders full of notes from different areas of my field and you can create a "self-reference" material doing the same thing if you really feel like going crazy with it. Maybe even write down for each card phrases that come to mind.... but even better, they will become part of your inner voice.

I would stay away from video. I tend to fixate on everything that is going on in the background... like my dogs wrastling behind me or my door being opened when it shouldn't be or something in my office needing cleaning :p Makes your "OCD" even worse.

barefootlife

For me, the biggest key to providing empowering readings is to offer a potential for action on negative cards. There's something to do about nearly every situation one finds themselves in, and reminding a reader of that serves to keep them focused on what the reading is about - illuminating a shadowed aspect of their lives.

Also, using phrases like 'the cards indicate...' or 'I would interpret this card as saying...' and pausing to ask them if they agree or disagree with each point is a reminder that tarot doesn't know everything, and neither do you. Ultimately the reading is about them, and if they don't come out of it feeling more knowledgable about something at very least and empowered to take an action at very best, we're not totally doing our jobs as readers.

I definitely agree heartily with the folks who recommended reading up on counseling, because it has a lot to teach about the ins and outs of speaking to someone in a constructive and gentle-but-firm sort of way. While tarot isn't a science and certainly isn't any kind of substitute for real counseling, that's a role that readers can very easily end up in, and one I think it's important to handle with the respect it deserves.

MidnightSunAK

For me, the biggest key to providing empowering readings is to offer a potential for action on negative cards. There's something to do about nearly every situation one finds themselves in, and reminding a reader of that serves to keep them focused on what the reading is about - illuminating a shadowed aspect of their lives.

Also, using phrases like 'the cards indicate...' or 'I would interpret this card as saying...' and pausing to ask them if they agree or disagree with each point is a reminder that tarot doesn't know everything, and neither do you. Ultimately the reading is about them, and if they don't come out of it feeling more knowledgable about something at very least and empowered to take an action at very best, we're not totally doing our jobs as readers.

I definitely agree heartily with the folks who recommended reading up on counseling, because it has a lot to teach about the ins and outs of speaking to someone in a constructive and gentle-but-firm sort of way. While tarot isn't a science and certainly isn't any kind of substitute for real counseling, that's a role that readers can very easily end up in, and one I think it's important to handle with the respect it deserves.

I would not focus so much on how crafty your interpretations are in the very beginning. Every reader has their own style and different specialties they like to focus on. You kinda find your own voice when you have read enough... if you're having issues though and you mainly read in text, try reading over voice (like Skype or something). That may also help you to make your thoughts more concise, rather than long-form. I feel like doing a little bit of both, text and voice (no video), helps to really build up your ability to communicate better with your clients... in general, not just Tarot.

Maybe also start journaling and once or twice a week, sit down and write down everything that spills out of your Tarot brain into your journal surrounding an interesting subject either relating around a certain card and it's special meanings for you or a specific readings interpretation. Something that energizes you. Read it out loud to yourself in the front of the mirror. If it sounds weird, iterate in the next journal and keep going until you improve. Eventually you will find your voice better conveys what you mean through both text and voice and you'll maybe have kicked up some new "branches" you can take a reading if you somehow get stuck on an interpretation in the future.

Also, it may be helpful to write a small outline in the beginning of the reading so you don't lose focus. So if you read over voice or you are interacting them, jot down notes... there is something about the process of writing that really helps to degum the works for me. Probably because our brain is trained to respond to the act of writing like when we take notes in school.... I have binders full of notes from different areas of my field and you can create a "self-reference" material doing the same thing if you really feel like going crazy with it. Maybe even write down for each card phrases that come to mind.... but even better, they will become part of your inner voice.

I would stay away from video. I tend to fixate on everything that is going on in the background... like my dogs wrastling behind me or my door being opened when it shouldn't be or something in my office needing cleaning :p Makes your "OCD" even worse.

ah! There is a great book on this called on becoming a counselor. Its for people who arent counselors but find theirselves in spot of counseling others.

I also recommend picking up a book on therapeutic communication, or signing up for a therapy and/or counseling class! It'll add so much more.

Thank you all for the great advice! I always over think everything, I just need to stop being dramatic :) I started doing the reading exchange and already feel more confident. I'm definitely going to look into the Becoming a Counselor book. I volunteer as a Crisis Counselor, but that's more about talking people off a ledge, not about talking them through everyday issues :/ Thanks again for the great advice and if anybody here wants a free reading, hit me up :)

SunChariot

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had any book recommendations or advice on how to talk to and empower clients. I'm confident in my understanding of the cards, but I'm not confident in how to convey my interpretation :/

Just some ideas that came to me off the top of my head just now but:

--Here's where you are right now. Here's what you have the power within you to do to really improve your situation.

--You already have all that you need and more within you to ace this situation. The cards are telling you that you can and will do this is you just listen in inside and follow your inner guidance. (for the Magician).

--Things may seem hard now, but IF you don't give up and keep trying and working on the situation, this card says that you WILL overcome all odds and have a HUGE success in the end. You CAN do it, you WILL do it, just don't give up and you'll get there. (for The Chariot).

Babs

SunChariot

Why don't you just read the cards? Even the most negatve card contains within it the seeds of a suggestion that will help the client manage the situation to get the best possible result. Using carefully-chosen "phrases" will just sound condescending - just read the cards. :)

In the end, pretty much exactly this.

The cards ARE a system designed to help and encourage people. All cards have a positive side to them. It's really just reading them and telling what they say. The phrasing comes from who you are inside, that affects how you tell the story.

And maybe too from imagining that you were the querent and thinking out which ways someone could give you the message that would be most helpful to you....I really don't suggest doing this DURING a reading of course as it could influence the answer. But its useful to take the time to think all this out beforehand.

Babs