Recommend Some Intermediate Books

Ophiel

Hi. I know the basics but really haven't done that much with astrology in the past 15 years. Can anybody suggest about five really good intermediate astrology books? Even specialized books would be great (intercepted houses, lunations, etc.)

Thanks

Minderwiz

There's a massive library out there but you might try:

General : Alan Oken's Complete Astrology, Chart Interpretation, Stephen Arroyo, Astrology, Psychology and the Four Elements - Stephen Arroyo.

Houses: The House Book, Stephanie Camilleri and/or House, Temples in the Sky Deborah Houlding and/or Houses of the Horoscope - Alan Oken

Predictive Work: Planets in Transit - Rob Hand, Predictive Astrology - Christine Shaw, The Art of Predictive Astrology - Carol Rushman

Synastry: The Astrology of Human Relationships, Sakoian & Acker

If you are interested in medical astrology or traditional astrology I can indicate books in those areas.

Also read a good magazine, like the Mountain Astrologer.

The above are by no means exclusive, or the best, they are simply books that I've found useful and I'm continually reading more - I have a massive 'to read' list still to work through.

Try and establish a plan for your reading - don't be a Gemini and flit from topic to topic - be a Capricorn and work to a plan.

lunalafey

refresher book

look into "the New Way to Learn Astrology" by Basil Ferrington. It's an actual study book with a quiz at the end of the chapter.
Anything by Noel Tyl. You might have to find these in used book stores. He did a twelve book series. Each book addressing a particular part of astrology......
*LOL* minder...I'm a Cap with slightly Gemini-like study habits....

Ophiel

Hi, and thanks. I have quite a few astrology books, but was curious about new ones, or at least which of the lot is 'hot.' Most of your titles were not on my shelf! I do have the Arroyo book, actually a few more, too.

I'll look for the titles you listed, Minderwiz. And, I'll start re-reading what I already have!

Lunalefey:

While we all find our own particular 'voice' in books as teachers, Tyl is not mine. Years ago I had all those books and sold them. I even went to a Tyl workshop and found it interesting all and, but it just didn't 'grab me.' But thanks. I do appreciate your input.

Minderwiz

Ophiel,

I have only one book by Noel Tyl - his book on Solar Arcs. I must admit it put me off him almost completely. Not because of the Astrology so much as the 'look at the amazingly wonderful things I have done and the number of women who I have married or partnered and then for some curious reason have dropped out of my life' style of writing.

I believe that he can be very helpful through his website but he's one of the few Astrology authors who I cannot empathise with.

lunalafey

Minderwiz said:

I have only one book by Noel Tyl - his book on Solar Arcs. I must admit it put me off him almost completely. Not because of the Astrology so much as the 'look at the amazingly wonderful things I have done and the number of women who I have married or partnered and then for some curious reason have dropped out of my life' style of writing.

eew....I have not come across anything like this, skimmed through a bunch, but I have only two books of his on my shelf.
I can relate to you attitude towards Tyl.
I once dropped a psyc. class because of the teachers style, just rubbed me the wrong way.....

isthmus nekoi

I'll second the Hand and Rushman books. I've only skimmed through the Rushman book, but the writing is very clear. Hand's book is like a handy reference. It's quite the hefty volume too. Also, I believe Rob Hand offers transit reports over at astrodienst (where I think most ppl here get their natal charts).

Another prominent member of astrodienst is Liz Greene. She's the mod of a discussion group on Yahoo, I think it's called Psychological Astrology or something like that. There are a few gems to be found there, but it requires patient wading through numerous posts. Also, like a lot of Jungian discussion groups, discussion on 'touchy' topics are vulnerable to dissolve into psychobabble, (accusations of 'projecting' etc), and don't really address the issue at hand. I'd liken it to shopping in a second hand shop; you might find something incredible you'd never find anywhere else, but be prepared to go through a lot of other stuff you might not care for.

Ophiel

Thanks for all the input. Oops...I have a Liz Greene title right on my shelf, a very old one indeed..."Saturn: New Look at an Old Devil." I probably have 20-30 astrology books but have lost touch with everything as most of what I have is what I picked off the shelf myself from my local metaphysical bookstore. Actually, I traded in a LARGE qty of books and used the credit to buy quite a few astrology books (that landed on the shelf before I moved last time...)

Here are some of the titles (I have no idea if the books are "good" quality Astrology.)

Tracy Marks - "Planetary Aspects"
Arroyo -
"Astrology, Psychology, and the Four Elements"
"Astrology, Karma, and Transformation"
"Relationships and Life Cycles"
Lundsted - "Transits
Jan Spiller - "Astrology for the Soul"
Wright - "Astrology in Ation: How Astrology Works in Practice"
May - "The Planets and Human Behavior"
Sasportas - "Twelve Houses"
Rudhyar "The Astrological Houses"
Bruno/Louse Huber - "Moon Node Astrology"
Richard Stauss - "Life Challenge Astrology"
Sophie Mason - "Forecasting with New, Full and Quarter Moons"

and probably the first one I'll read from this list...

"Essentials of Intermediate Astrology" edited by Hand.

It's been a while since I really worked more seriously with astrology and reading the posts in this group have made me think I am missing something.

If any of the above books are gems, or dogs, let me know, okay?

And if you think of others (seeing lists has a way of doing that!) please add more titles.

I forgot to mention I have a number of Cosmobiology books, too, something I always wanted to learn more about.

Minderwiz

You've got a very good collection there Ophiel and they're well worth a reread. There's not a bad author amongst them - indeed they're all top notch.

I have a number of the titles but would buy any of the ones I don't have without much debate (except for which bank to rob to finance the purchases)

Ophiel

Minderwiz...I haven't read most of these books. I had mentioned I bought them with a huge store credit, then moved. I haven't done much with astrology since.

I think the only one I mostly read was the Arroyo book on Karma and transformation. I tend to like more spiritually oriented material.

IF you don't hear from me for three years, it's because I am busy reading. I read other topics and have a HUGE pile of unread books. I just don't know where to start. I do want to read the Brady book you mentioned. It will have to be a special order as it's not on the bookstore shelf.

Thanks again.
Ophiel