Asherah Tarot, originally the Sarah Magdalene Tarot

Grigori

And my birthday is coming up, perfect! I'm off to send the link to all my loved ones who will soon be new customers if they know what is good for them :laugh:

Grigori

So, I've been thinking about my print. What size to get, where to put it etc... I don't really know anything about prints and framing and such. What is best folks, can anyone advise me?

When it comes to frames, I'm a fan of the "less is more" approach. Not sure what direction to start. But I know I want "Lust" and probably the largest version, depending on the wall space allocation negotiation I am currently engaged in :)

SloughSister

Grigori said:
So, I've been thinking about my print. When it comes to frames, I'm a fan of the "less is more" approach.

My favorite "less is more" approach is one I used years ago for a print I wanted to see every bit of. My local craft store helped me make it at their framing worktable. It involved two sheets of anti-reflective glass, a series of clear clips and heavy, clear fishing-line-type string on the edges, and heavy wire to hang it on the back. Maybe someone in the art business knows the name of this method and how large a piece it can be done for.

salamandrina

I'd love to see how LUST looked blown up. I think it's probably one of the best ones to do in the large size.

But you should know that frames with glass do require some kind of frame to strengthen them, because even the slightest twist will break them. It's quite possible the method Slough Sister describes would work for smaller prints, but I'd be very wary of trying it with anything over about 30 cm. I have had lots of pieces of glass break on me, even in frames.

There is another process people use for prints called Face Mounting in which the print is fused to a piece of perspex and then hung with discreet metal thingies. It gives you the totally see through minimal look but it's not a budget option and there are only one or two people in Queensland who do it. I can find out who they are if you are interested in that idea. Perspex has issues as well with reflectivity and durability. If you hang it anywhere near light from windows it will act like a mirror. And also it scratches very easily.

If it was my print I'd go for traditional framing behind glass. It seems to be very important with this type of print that the mat border on the frame creates a gap between the print and the glass, because if they touch it can damage the print. If you do decide to go for an option that doesn't need a mat border, let me know and then I will have it printed right to the edges. For normal framing it's better to have a small white edge which tucks under the mat border.

I'm no framing expert though (I only frame originals in old frames I get in second hand stores) so it's quite possible if you look around you will find other options. The quality of the framing does seem to make a huge difference to the durability of the print so it's wise to specify that you are framing Gicleé.

Grigori

Thanks salamandrina :) I've just recieved offical budgetary approval to purchase a print as a gift from my family for by birthday, so will stop by a local framer I've used and look at a couple of options in person. If no success there I'd be very grateful for any advice.

You'll be hearing from me very soon, the big day is approaching :D

Grigori

I spent some time with my local framer this morning, she was very helpful and I now have half a plan. Some questions if you don't mind?

I'm debating between getting LUST in the two sizes. I think I'll have to go for the medium size to fit where I'd like to put it, but am keeping my options open until sure as I like the idea of getting the biggest :laugh:
A2 (approx 610 X 467mm)
A1 (approx 841 X 594mm)

The framer suggests I ask the following. Are those sizes the paper size, or the size of the image? She recommends I have around a 5cm "self border", and could then go into a frame with a spacer and no need for the insert then as the spacer keeps it off the glass (unless I want one). Do you sign and number the image, or on the self border around it? Is the self border unprinted paper, or is it colored?

Thanks heaps!

salamandrina

That's the size of the actual paper. The print I got done I had a small white border on it (half a cm), but I can get it printed with whatever size border you specify, either white or in the block colour I chose for each card as an inner border.

So my hermit print (small size) has another cm or so of coloured border as well as the white edge. The coloured border is needed to tie the design together I believe, but the white one could easily be dispensed with, if that's what your framer prefers. Easiest to sign on the colour border I think.

Anyway email me at foxvolant@gmail.com when you want to order.
In fact I have to scan Lust again as well because I made some errors in encoding last time. So I haven't made any print version yet at all. This means it's a good time to specify what layout you want.

Grigori

You have email :D