Camoin-Jodo VS the Noblet

greatdane

Thank you all for your perspectives, MOST helpful

When one first takes a quick look at the Marseille, many seem so similar, ok besides color perhaps, but the basic images look very similar and yet I do see differences. And the clarity of some over others, whether woodcut or not, so affects the vibe of the deck. I am enjoying getting to know various decks and all of your input is so useful since many you can't just pick up on Amazon or are otherwise easily obtainable in the US. I know one CAN get them, but often pricey. Getting all your ideas and why you like different Marseille decks is invaluable. One of the reasons I love AT!

Yves Le Marseillais

Noblet but THE right version

Hello all,

Well between Camoin Jodo and Noblet I choose the very good Noblet version 22 Majors only (600 copies limited edition) the original one Jean Claude Flornoy and Roxanne have done:
Super colours
Hand applicated with brush
Nice cream colour paper
Nice finition aspect not laminated

And not their industrial version full deck.

I like and prefer Tarot of Marseille Type II pattern but many Type II TDM are superior to Camoin Jodo for me.

Salutations from Marseille City
France
old €urope

Yves

greatdane

Merci, Yves!

That was something I was wondering as well. If many just read with the majors of either of these decks or other Marseille decks.

BSwett

Noblet for sure. But Jean Dodal trumps them both in my opinion.

Penthasilia

That was something I was wondering as well. If many just read with the majors of either of these decks or other Marseille decks.

If you are looking for a good majors only Marseille deck, my favorite is the The Tarot of Marseille Millennium Ed. :) I cannot put my finger on it- but the imagery just stands out over any of the other Marseille decks I have owned. Perhaps due to the geometric drawings, I cannot be sure- but when I compared it to my Noblet, Camoin, Grimaud and others- it clearly had something more- but I cannot quantify what that something is...

You can read more about it here:

http://tarot-de-marseille-millennium.com/english/tarot_sacred_code.html

greatdane

Thanks Penthasilia and BSwett!

It is just fascinating to read everyone's experiences and thoughts on a subject I am such a newbie on!

Richard

If you are looking for a good majors only Marseille deck, my favorite is the The Tarot of Marseille Millennium Ed. :) I cannot put my finger on it- but the imagery just stands out over any of the other Marseille decks I have owned. Perhaps due to the geometric drawings, I cannot be sure- but when I compared it to my Noblet, Camoin, Grimaud and others- it clearly had something more- but I cannot quantify what that something is...

You can read more about it here:

http://tarot-de-marseille-millennium.com/english/tarot_sacred_code.html
The Millennium is incredibly tempting, but I'm determined to hang onto my sales resistance until he finishes all 78 cards.

Le Fanu

oh so easy!

The Noblet, without a doubt - fresh, crisp and - something that goes beyond the mere imagery - it just feels right.

It amazes me how the Camoin-Jodo just slips out of my mind. I forget it exists. I think it brings nothing whatsoever to tarot (is that extreme?) It just feels dead to me. Even when it came out it failed to give me a quiver - nay slither - of excitement. I just have no idea what there is to admire in it. Is it supposed to be new and fresh or old and authentic? Who knows...

The Noblet is up there as a favourite (de-cornered of course). I also LOVE the Dodal. And the ISIS! I love loads of Marseilles decks but these are the ones I read with.

Bluefeet

Flornoy's 78-card Noblet reproduction is superior in every aspect. I agree with Yves, the hand stenciled majors edition is even better.

To me historical reproductions are usually better than modern renditions. Historical decks are unique and almost impossible to imitate as no great artist can travel back in time to create similar ones. Each antique deck is a fragment of history.

tarot heart

I agree with the Noblet over the Camoin-Jodo. I do know what is wrong with the Camoin-Jodo - there are just too many lines. It's overdrawn in my humble opinion. It's not an elegant deck at all...sorry :(

I also must highly recommend the CBD and the ISIS. Remarkable decks and MUST HAVES!!!

:)