Just Purchased the Gilded Tarot

misteddreamrose

This will be my third deck! Guys, I think I have a problem! :p

I own the Steampunk and the Dragon Tarot decks. Has anyone used all three? What are your opinions?

Asbestos Mango

I just ordered my thirty-second deck.

Problem? What problem?

Trogon

This will be my third deck! Guys, I think I have a problem! :p
"Problem?" Not at all! I just purchased a deck Monday ... it is #35 in my current collection. I've traded or sold a few, so more than 35 have passed through my hands. But my, and Asbestos Mango's collections are still relatively small. I wouldn't start worrying until I got to, oh, say around #100. ;)

I own the Steampunk and the Dragon Tarot decks. Has anyone used all three? What are your opinions?
Yes, I own and have used all three of these decks. (I link to the Steampunk and Dragon Tarots which I am using below - There are more than one of each of those titles, so I want to let you know for certain which ones I'm using.)

The Steampunk Tarot (by Barbara Moore and Ally Fell; http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/steampunk-fell/) is a great deck with fun images. I have found it very easy to read with as it is based on the RWS which is what I learned on. However, the images are different enough to lead my interpretations into some different directions. The 8 of Wands is a good example, with the 8 Wands being ready to launch, rather than actually flying through the air.

The Dragon Tarot (Peter Pracownik; http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/dragon/) is also based on the RWS. Though I find it a little more difficult to read with. I love the artwork in it, it is a beautiful deck. But it took a little more getting used to and a little more study for me to work well with it.

The Gilded Tarot is just simply beautiful. Ciro Marchetti has produced a Tarot deck which is lovely to work with and easy to read with. It is also a Rider-Waite-Smith based deck but it seems to go quite a ways beyond the standard. He's put lovely colors and exacting work into the deck which bring amazing detail to readings I've done with it. Some cards vary from the RWS standard quite a bit (such as The Fool), which brings out new and sometimes very different meanings. Other cards stick pretty close to the older deck (such as the 9 of Swords) which stick closer to the traditional, while still bringing new detail and depth to both the image and the interpretation.

So, yes, I have used all 3 and all 3 work very well for me. Though I find the Dragon Tarot to be a tad more difficult to work with.

misteddreamrose

Oh wow! Over thirty decks so I'm just getting started here! lol

Those are the same decks I have. The Dragon Tarot was my first deck. I bought it when I was 16, I think. I bought the Steampunk deck a few months ago, and for me, it seems to give better answers when I do relationship readings while my Dragon deck is pretty good for all around use.

Of course, I just read the definitions of the cards provided in the books that come with the sets so I do have a lot more to learn. I just started analyzing the cards in the Steampunk deck and started writing down associations I make with the card to better help in reading the spreads and forming that "story" the cards are telling. Once I finish with the Steampunk, I'm going to do the same with the Dragon deck... But just looking at the two decks, I have to agree with you, that the Dragon deck is a little harder to make associations to, but I think it's because the images aren't human. You're basically trying to read the emotions of an animal, and a reptile at that, which is way harder to read lol

Altena

Problem? What problem? I currently have close to 200 decks in my collection(and that's not counting the oracle decks) :p Just wait until Gregory gets here ;)

I have the Steampunk, which I haven't used much as I prefer the other Steampunk deck(the one that's on Etsy) and I also have the Gilded Tarot(as well as all of Ciro's other decks).

The Gilded is a very nice deck and it's not quite as flashy as, say, the Tarot of Dreams. The impression I've got is that it's a good deck to start out with since it follows the RWS(Rider-Waite Smith) tradition, but with an own twist. The colors are beautiful and as such it's a very appealing deck to work with, especially when you're new to the tarot and need something other than the (oftentimes) bland RWS imagery.

Good luck with your new decks, it sounds like you're well on your way already :)

Trogon

Well, it sounds to me like you're starting off pretty well for yourself Misteddreamrose. One of the best way's I've found to learn and study the cards, is to start off with the traditional meanings given in the book, study the card, see what symbols relate to those meanings, and apply them to real-life people. You can think "oh, I see how this would apply to this situation in my life", or in some situation in your past, or something going on in a friend's life. You can then expand out from there, adding variations and alterations of those traditional meanings, and how other things that are pictured on the card relate to different, or even opposite meanings.

Take The Devil as an example: In many decks, such as the Rider-Waite, it pictures 2 figures chained by the neck - but the chains are loose, they could be easily removed if the figures wanted to remove them. While in others (such as the Karma Tarot I just got), the chains are tighter and would be difficult for them to remove on their own. The difference could be, just how willing of a participant in the behavior or "addiction". Would they be able to stop on their own if they so choose? That's just one very tiny example of the kinds of things to watch for between decks.

I love studying the Tarot, and it seems that every reading I do is as much a learning experience for me as it is for the client. I would make one suggestion though. Pick one of your decks (I would suggest either the Steampunk or the Gilded) and work all the way through it, studying the cards and doing readings for a while. Get pretty familiar with that one deck, where it's easier to do readings, or just look at the cards and think of a key phrase relating to it. Then start studying the new deck in earnest as well. Trying to learn 2 or 3 decks at the same time when you're starting may be a bit confusing and slow down the learning process.

When you do pick up that second deck, you'll probably start seeing that there are more similarities between that and the other deck than there are differences. This is a good thing, because the similarities give you a great starting point for learning the new deck and the differences and nuances it holds.

On the other hand, if you see another deck that really reaches out and grabs you ... add it to your collection! You can always come to it when you're at the right place in your studies.

RunningWild

You're Heading Fast Down A Long Dark Road...

That's how it starts. Just one, you tell yourself, you know...to study...to get your tarot feet wet.

Then you come across another and you just can't help yourself. You want to know what the difference is.

The third, the habit really begins...you saw an image and it grabbed at you.

The next thing you know, you've found this forum and they talk about the cards and have images of every deck imaginable.

All of sudden you find yourself bidding against gregory for the last known copy of (name something gregory does NOT have yet)....

:laugh: :D

Enjoy the journey!

BTW, I *only* have 46 or 47 decks. :laugh:

I have the Gilded but don't often take it out. It was one of those impulse buys. There it was on a store shelf...

I have the Steampunk (Moore) but I don't often take that one out, either. For me, some of the coloring is too dark though I suppose it's supposed to be that way.

misteddreamrose

Well, my Gilded arrived in the mail today and the art is just... breathtakingly vivid! I haven't really studied the cards too much, but there was one card I looked at that I just felt the meaning of (can't remember it now though, should have written it down!!) But I think this deck is going to be the reality check I need... And it felt really nice in my hands, too. It felt really natural. I can't wait to work with it more and get to know it! I even did an interview with it!

Trogon

Congrats on your new arrival! :D

If you'd like, you could try doing a reading with my "new deck spread" - 3 cards in a vertical line;

1) What will you teach me?
2) What do you need from me?
3) What will our relationship be like?

If you'd like to see it "in action" so to speak, I posted a reading here; http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=200901

This spread can give you a little more insight on how to work with your new deck.