Help choosing next deck

Raven&Wolf

Tomorrow a good friend and I will be heading into town to find a deck of tarot or oracle cards - the only thing is I am not sure what ones I should be looking at.

As of right now, I own Shadowscapes and Tarot of the Vampyre. I'm hoping for some opinions/suggestions as to what deck we should buy.

I found because I was so attracted to the watercolor artwork of Shadowscapes, along with the animals and fantasy, I can read and connect to the deck incredibly well. The same can't be said for Tarot with the Vampyres though (ah well).

Any ideas as to decks that are visually appealing and truly speak to any of you?

Thanks! :)

Mallah

Ouch. You really ask a broad question...it's a little like saying, "We are going into town to buy some music, what should we listen to?"

First of all, there are thousands to choose from...but your store will only have ten to two hundred of them...and mostly in sealed boxes. Some stores have "sample decks" or have 6 or so cards from a given deck on display.

It's so hard in those circumstances to make a good choice and many of us buy dozens...hundreds of decks looking for "the one"....

We don't know your level of advancement with using the cards; some are considered "beginner" decks, and some are decks that are "themed"....in other words they are designed for people with interests in certain things....from Buddhism to Zombies, Qabalah to White Kitties in Robes....

There's something for every taste.

I personally feel that you learn more about TAROT when you go with a deck that is NOT themed...(you ran into a 'theme' with your Tarot of the Vampyres).

Also, we could recommend decks to you that they would not have at your store.

"Industry Standard" seems to be the Rider/Waite...if you look to the Universal Rider Waite, you'll get yummier colors...(this will raise a firestorm from purists here. I'm just being informative....) it is what i would call "non themed".

A more modern alternative would be the Guilded Tarot....which seems to be in most stores these days.

I'm trying to throw out some ideas here that are likely to be there in your store.

Most stores will have the Thoth....and opinions are split on it's attractiveness. Some think it's gorgeous, some do not....but the Thoth has a lot of occult imagery which is a pretty tight nut to crack. The Rider/Waite actually has a lot of the same sort of stuff, but it's less "in your face" and seems to ride in the background a bit more.

Some people like these old standbys that are likely to be in your shop:

Robin Wood, Morgan Greer, Hanson Roberts, Aquarian, Zerner-Farber

Darkmage

What you're asking is a hell of a tall order.

If the shop has a binder full of sample cards, and a lot of bookshops do, look through that. Honestly, if you don't have a copy of the RWS (and Universal is a good choice, as well as the regulation USG), Thoth, or Marseilles, go for one of those. Those are 'starter' decks and most decks will go from one of those three traditions. If nothing else, they should be in your collection for their own sake IMO.

If you like animals, there are cat themed decks, dragon themed decks, unicorn decks, all sorts of stuff's out there. Same with other themes. Look around online a bit. Tarot.com has all sorts of decks you can look at online and decide whether or not you like the art.

Good luck and let us know what you pick.

WolfyJames

Well, the Tarot of Vampyres is closer to the Thoth than the RWS. Obviously if you don't know anything about the Thoth it can be a tad confusing to try to dabble with the Tarot of Vampyres. The companion book that comes with the deck is really good and helpful.

As for the Shadowscapes, its tiny size can be a downside where you cannot really see the images. Also, some editions the colors are really faded so you have to be really careful which one you pick.

Raven&Wolf

Thank you for the replies :)

I understand my question was broad and you are right that stores only carry a few.

I find I don't really connect with the Rider-Waite decks, but I do appreciate the learning they offer. I will invest in one of the more traditional decks at some point though.

What do you guys think of Doreen Virtue's decks (oracle and tarot)?

Yay or nay?

greatdane

Raven&Wolf

Depends what appeals to you. Are you looking for something kind of seasonal right now? What is it you expect from a deck, what images appeal to you? There are decks to suit pretty much every need. I have been in the mood for a Fall deck and just ordered the Samhain from seven stars. But it's really what YOU want, what appeals the most to you.

Inconnu

Open yourself cosmically when you are looking at the cards. If "the cards are right" one will signal you.

I like Marseilles.

nisaba

Don't buy something similar to what you already have and like. Branch out. Get something different.

Falling_Star

If you're into 'Tarot of the Vampyre', you probably can't go far wrong with:

The Gothic Tarot by Joseph Vargo
The Watcher Angel Tarot by Michelle Bellanger / Jackie Williams
Dark Angels Tarot
Gothic Tarot by Anne Stokes

And related to Shadowscapes (fantasy with detailed illustration):

Paulina Tarot
Dreaming Way Tarot
Winged Spirit Tarot

Hope that helps!