Enchanted Oracle by Jessica Galbraith

Winterchild

I was persuaded to buy this by Owlmoon513 on YouTube .... Les Vampires was out of stock but I think I may like this better... One thing that strikes me is the guide book. It is written by Barbara Moore and seems different to her usual books. It is good just different. I wondered if a lot of oracle decks are aimed at teenagers? What do you think?

For the record most people I know who use oracles left their teens in the last century!!!

desertrat

Hmm. Well, it depends on your definition of what "a lot" is in this case. I am one of those people who left their teen years in the last century, and when I was a teenager (I hate the way that sounds :( ) there were no oracle decks...period (just tarot).

Ok, now I'm worried someone will say "oh yes there were, there was such-and-such oracle". So I'm going to add that speaking as a teenager prior to the advent of the Internet, the only place to find/buy anything was the local mall. The closest we had to an oracle there at that time was Ralph Blum's Runes.

So comparatively, yes, today there are a lot of oracle decks aimed at teens. However, I personally don't think MOST oracles are teen-oriented. I have quite a large collection and I feel only a handful are teenish. But maybe I have a narrow view of what is teen-oriented (I'm really thinking hard about this). I view anything Goth as teen, but not faeries and angels. What are other peoples' opinions?

So if I made a list of Teen Decks, which decks would I include?

Definitely:
Enchanted Oracle
Les Vampires
Wisdom of the House of Night
Oracle of Light and Shadows
Oracle of Shapeshifters

Maybe:
Wild Wisdom of the Faeries
Oracle of the Dragonfae
Faerie Guidance Oracle
Magical Unicorns
Magical Messages from the Faeries
Magical Mermaids and Dolphins
Witchlings
Oracle of the Mermaids

2dogs

Your "Definitely" list seems pretty teeny to me, I couldn't imagine myself using any of the Lucy Cavendish decks in particular. The Witchlings also, but I think the others on the "Maybe" list could possibly appeal to a wider audience - apart from the Magical Unicorns which seems to have a lot of good advice for small children ;)

lalalibra

Without getting too preachy about it (hopefully), I have to say this once, at least briefly --- Age is just a number. It doesn't matter how old you are; it's about what resonates with you personally. And if getting older means not being able to embrace your own unique essential nature, then well... I wouldn't really call that "growing up." (I say this in general about the matter; I'm not implying that you don't necessarily know this)

But anyway, as far as a deck being Teen oriented - the Oracle of Shadows and Light, for example, is written directed toward a teen audience, but with tweaking in your mind as you read, I find it can translate perfectly well for any age. (For example, when it mentions school, are we not all in school? the school of life? we never stop learning). I didn't find it difficult to relate to is what I'm saying and a lot of these decks mentioned seem to be very popular with so many people of different ages... The authors of these decks are not teenagers, for example, and I'm sure they resonate with their creations and they intend the same for whoever is drawn to them.

I don't own the Enchanted Oracle, but I've looked at it and it does seem like a beautiful deck! If you're drawn to it, then please don't let some concept of age act as a barrier to something that may delight your timeless heart... I wish I had actual experience with this deck so that I could say more about it specifically. But I actually watched her video about it too, and since she mentioned that this deck is a bit darker than some other faery decks, that is enough for me to assume that this deck should probably work for those who are older... I think that's one thing that we perhaps mean about a deck being too "young" - does it embrace the depth and complexities of life, does it honor both the darkness and the light, etc.

You have to trust your own gut feeling. Sometimes a deck doesn't resonate and that's totally fine and quite usual, but just double check your feelings to see if perhaps there's something else about the deck that doesn't resonate with you that has less to do with age and more with style, for example.

2dogs

You're quite right, it's mainly the style that I am looking at and associating with an age range. I wouldn't feel comfortable using a deck I thought was aimed primarily at teenage girls. :|

desertrat

I don't believe anyone is trying to discourage non-teens from using teen-oriented decks. I think the OP was just musing about the number of teeny type decks now available.

VioletEye

Without getting too preachy about it (hopefully), I have to say this once, at least briefly --- Age is just a number. It doesn't matter how old you are; it's about what resonates with you personally.

amen!

it has to be said:
yes, i left my teens behind in the last century, so please don't think i'm a spring chicken. but when i was a teen, i was totally into darkness, spookiness, hardness. a deck with faeries or unicorns was the LAST thing i'd be attracted to. as well, i'm sure there are a fair amount of middle-aged persons of any gender who ARE... so!
pastels and gentleness do not a teen deck make, just my $0.02!

edited to add: i'm actually unfamiliar with the enchanted oracle, so the above comment was made about oracle and tarot decks in general ~ :)

Winterchild

I totally agree re age... I would not let age be a barrier for any decks!! It's about personal taste, and as you say, how deep the deck can go.

I would love a Moomintroll deck!

Some of the Lucy Cavendish I find twee, but I like the artwork... which is why I have a couple. The Enchanted... I love it!! Kind of glad I got that now instead of Les Vampires. Npt so dure about Wild Wosdom of the Faerie though, not loked yet as I have been ultra biz!