Oracles Instead of Tarot????

dolphinprincess

Since this is a "tarot" site, I assume most of us found our way here through the tarot..(duh!)... but, there are many other boards on aeclectic - discussing other forms of divination..

Personally, I always go back and forth between Tarot and Oracle decks.. I never can tell which I like better!... Of course, I'm sure most people here favor the tarot...

but I'm curious.. are there people that mainly use oracle decks over tarot??? - Or maybe don't use tarot at all, but find better results through angel decks or faerie decks.. or whatever??

If so, why?

SongDeva

I find that I do best when I treat tarot as an oracle. :))
That is, read intuitively. I recently started a tarot circle, and a member remarked that a reading I was doing for her was more on the mark when I gave intuitive information, as opposed to taking the card meanings into consideration. hehe, go figure.

other members are more card-meaning based, with much success.

zorya

i use the tarot the most, because i feel that tarot can be used to answer any kind of question, whereas most oracles decks are best suited for one or two types of questions. examples: some oracles are primarily for telling the future, others may be best for self-exploration.

song deva, this is a new idea to me. i don't recall ever hearing anyone say that they read oracles more intuitively and tarot more by definition before. to me the tarot is an oracle and both can be read both ways at the same time or either way for some. i wonder if there is anyone here that does differentiate between the two?

skytwig

I read everything.... literally.... the sky, birds, leaves.... you name it, I read it. I take into consideration archetypal meanings i have learned, but I use my intuition first and foremost.... for that is where Spirit speaks.....

I agree that, for me, Tarot is an Oracle deck.... it just happens to be the most popular one!! :)

WolfyJames

I use many things, and to me tarot is just one of them. To me, the only difference between them and oracles is that tarot is very complexe, and that you never stop learning about it, it's a constant study.

Logiatrix

I don't differentiate between the two like I used to.
There was a time (not long ago, in fact) when I struggled with oracles, trying oodles of them but rarely settling with a deck for more than a few months.
I really wanted to be able to use an oracle deck as an alternative to tarot, like I knew others did with ease.
I had difficulty with any theme and/ or system that didn't closely follow the structure of tarot.
I'd all but given up on oracles, focused all my energies on tarot decks....and then, an epihany!
I recently realized that all my exclusive tarot study has paid off, because I am now able to read anything and everything with relative ease.
I finally got it; I was even tempted to put tarot away and just research oracles for a while.
Well, that didn't happen--no way is tarot getting shelved!--but now there are a few oracles that I enjoy as much as my favorite tarot decks.
It's only a matter of what mood I'm in that determines what kind of tool I use for readings these days.
:)

dolphinprincess

...well, the responses in this thread have helped me to look at oracles differently.. actually, i now don't differentiate between tarot and oracles as much as i did before...

i guess its all about following your intuition...

joya250

SongDeva said:
I find that I do best when I treat tarot as an oracle. :))
That is, read intuitively. I recently started a tarot circle, and a member remarked that a reading I was doing for her was more on the mark when I gave intuitive information, as opposed to taking the card meanings into consideration. hehe, go figure.

other members are more card-meaning based, with much success.

heh heh. Hi SongDeva, wonder who THAT could have been. ;)
Yes, your intutive reading abilities are impressive.

You know dolphinprincess, for a long while I didn't even know other oracle cards even existed outside of tarot... and I've only recently poked my head into this section. I think I stayed away because at first these types of oracles seemed too open, too unstructured for my analyitical mind. But the more I gain an understanding of my own intuitive nature, the more these types of decks are appealing to me. I would love to be able to read with my heart, rather than my head. I think with tarot, I'm so full of facts, numerology, elementals, astrological correspondences that it would be nice to not have all that predisposed onto the cards.

And, I think that may answer your question as well Zorya, if I am understanding it. I do tend to see tarot differently from oracles. Whereas oracle decks are just that -- tarot does not necessarily have to be used for divination. ... though I guess in the end, it's all what you make of it.

... now I just gotta find me a good oracle deck I can play with!

dolphinprincess

joya250 said:
I think with tarot, I'm so full of facts, numerology, elementals, astrological correspondences that it would be nice to not have all that predisposed onto the cards.

You hit on a good point here, joya. I think it really depends on how you approach tarot - as to whether you can view tarot and oracles in a similar fashion. For those that read tarot very intuitively - oracles probably seem quite similar...

But, there are many people that read tarot using all of the things you mention of above.. For those people, oracle decks are probably quite different... and for some they may be a great way to let intuition run wild.. for those that are more analytical, they may be frustrating...

sagitarian

dolphinprincess said:

but I'm curious.. are there people that mainly use oracle decks over tarot??? - Or maybe don't use tarot at all, but find better results through angel decks or faerie decks.. or whatever??

If so, why?

SHOOTS her hand HIGH up in the air anxiously "ME ME". I use my faerie oracle cards over any other deck. I have a total of 4 tarot decks, and 2 oracle decks. My fae talk a lot more to me then any other. I "hear" them more clearly, sense them, get clearer messages. I mainly hang out in the faerie oracle section (focused on Brian Froud's deck), and only recently found this area. But yeah, my "power" deck is my Froud Fae, and my second choice is "Healing with the Faeries" by Doreen Virtue.

Why you ask?

It "fits" better, I "see" more, communicate more, everything is so clear with the faeries (oddly enough..LOL). I understand tarot, but I feel the faeries (if that makes sense). I do have a special place for tarot, but to me they seem...overdone in a way (not to insult them, as I said, I still hold a few tarot decks, and use them). Faeries are unexplored to a large degree, more mysterious, and allures me into their world. Where as tarot is ....just there. It's like asking a 5 yr old which pet they would rather have, a dog or a fish? A dog they can run around with, pet, play with, go on walks...a fish...they just watch the fish swim around in the bowl or tank. I would love to have both as pets (don't have any pets right now), but if it was a choice between one or the other, I would choose the dog (the faeries). You have to "chase" them more in order to understand them, and I like that challenge. Did I answer the question? LOL, I'm trying to.

Thanks for posting this!