Hidden message or trick of the light?

Aeon418

Dulcimer said:
Reading his book whilst studying his cards leads me to suspect that someone altered the cards. Some speculate it was Pamela Coleman Smith (PCS), others that it was the Golden Dawn (GD). My guess would be the latter.
I think it was Waite himself who altered the symbolism. He was one of the old school who believed in occult secrets. He published a deck based on Golden Dawn teachings, but muddied the waters just enough so that he didn't break his oath of secrecy to the Golden Dawn.

Fulgour

Welcome A E W "Secret" Fan Club

Aeon418 said:
I think it was Waite himself who altered the symbolism. He was one of the old school who believed in occult secrets. He published a deck based on Golden Dawn teachings, but muddied the waters just enough so that he didn't break his oath of secrecy to the Golden Dawn.
I think I see now... Waite kept the Devil's naughty bittz a secret...
the secret secrets... he really was a genius... and it's still a secret!

Aeon418

Fulgour said:
I think I see now... Waite kept the Devil's naughty bittz a secret...
the secret secrets... he really was a genius... and it's still a secret!
Well lets compare Waites "The Devil" card with another well known Golden Dawn members "Devil", Aleister Crowley. He thought it was a waste of time keeping secrets anymore because there was no need, and thus you have a very explicit Devil. It's no secret what that card's about.
Far too daring for the coy and conventional Mr Waite though, who had to hide behind a corrupted image of Levi's "Baphomet" due to his Christian fear of sexuality.

Fulgour

Aeon418 said:
Far too daring for the coy and conventional Mr Waite though, who had to hide behind a corrupted image of Levi's "Baphomet" due to his Christian fear of sexuality.
You realise that you are assuming both that Waite had a penis
(excuse me, a secret wanker) and knew what to do with it? :laugh:

Dulcimer

Fulgour said:
You realise that you are assuming both that Waite had a penis
(excuse me, a secret wanker) and knew what to do with it? :laugh:
Ah. Mature debate. The reason I love this forum. :)

Fen Windglimmer

Dulcimer said:
Fascinating :). Is that a personal view or is it based on a myth?

That might depend on whether you believe the Bible to be a myth.

PCS didn't, but more to the point, neither did Waite.

"For God created man incorruptible, and to the image of his own likeness he made him. But by the envy of the devil, death came into the world"

Love and light to all

Fen

Fen Windglimmer

Aeon418 said:

I don't think Waite was either coy or conventional. He wrote about sex when the occasion demanded it. See his "Holy Kabbalah", for instance, especially the part about the Mystery of Sex.

Love and light to all

Fen

Dulcimer

Fen Windglimmer said:
That might depend on whether you believe the Bible to be a myth.

PCS didn't, but more to the point, neither did Waite.

"For God created man incorruptible, and to the image of his own likeness he made him. But by the envy of the devil, death came into the world"

Love and light to all

Fen
Silly me :). I meant was it based on an apochryphal story such as the story of Lilith? To Waite, et al, the Old Testament was a treasure-trove of Kabbalistic code leading inexorably to the Logos. Yes, I am aware of that.

Reference the quote please?