What is it about the Marseilles art that you like?

starlightexp

Been diving into the art of Marseilles these past few weeks and what draws be to a deck in this style. There are dozens and dozens of decks that , let's face it, pretty much look the same to most people. It got me wondering what people like. Do you prefer decks that are restored to their original splendor or do you like decks that are more reproductions of the cards the way they look now? What do you look for in the art? Is it the eyes, the colors, the line work? Do you give the minors much consideration?

I for one like a range. I love the decks that are restored to be able to see the line work in better detail, but I for one wish more were painted by hand because the total computer color look makes them look a little sterile to me. I adore reproductions even though some of the ink looks like it was painted on by a drunk kitten in a catnip factory.

dancing_moon

Personally, I prefer reproductions.

Restorations can be great in terms of being able to see all the details (and sometimes even decipher them :bugeyed:), but 'sterile' is a good word to describe how I perceive them. When they get restored, they lose all of their 'beaten throughout the centuries by many generations of card readers and accidentally found in Greatgrandmama's mysterious antique closet' feel - a feel which, I suppose, makes up the greatest part of these decks' charm for me. :)

Other than that, pretty much anything goes. :D

Astraea

I love the drunk kitten, clunky, messy-looking reproductions of stenciled decks. Most restorations don't do anything for me, though there are a few that I like. I use the whole deck, but when it comes to deciding whether or not to make a purchase, the Majors are the deciding factors. The Devil and XIII are the first cards I look at, and if they grab me, that's all she wrote. I love quirky, mysterious variations on the TdM, and my favorite reproductions include Besancon decks, the Vieville, Tarot de Paris and Vandenborre Baccus because they tick all of my boxes.

Barleywine

I appreciate the restorations for their historical merit but, as a graphic artist, what I usually buy are the reproductions, mainly for their color. I don't mind subtle changes in the line drawings either. I like the Fournier very much, and plan to buy the Hadar, the ISIS, the CBD, the Spanish and probably the Grimaud down the road. I have the Classic but it's not a favorite. On the other hand, I would buy the Madenie but for the square corners. I use the whole deck but I'm not adept at the pips yet.

Richard

I prefer restorations of the Marseille, with clean, clear lines and rich colors. The facsimiles may be okay for dyed-in-the-wool purists, but I don't like to squint to see details in the images. Besides, the restorations are just plain prettier: Aesthetics certainly are a factor in my enjoyment of a deck. I refuse to put up with the crudities of woodblock printing if I don't have to.

Barleywine

I think I'm getting my terms mixed up. Is a facsimile a reproduction or a restoration? It's the facsimiles that attempt to reproduce the exact appearance of the historical decks that I don't care as much for. The "other" type, with cleaned-up lines and crisper colors, are the ones I prefer.

Richard

I think I'm getting my terms mixed up. Is a facsimile a reproduction or a restoration? It's the facsimiles that attempt to reproduce the exact appearance of the historical decks that I don't care as much for. The "other" type, with cleaned-up lines and crisper colors, are the ones I prefer.

Decks such as the Grimaud and CBD, are commonly called restorations or reconstructions. A facsimile is essentially a photocopy of an original mass-produced woodblock printing which was hand-colored (often very carelessly) using stencils.

Chrystella

For a long time, I didn't like Marseille decks. I thought they were ugly. I was starting to develop a new appreciation for them and then I stumbled upon the Pierre Madenie 1709 by Yves Reynaud. That sealed the deal.

I like everything - the reproductions, restorations, and facsimiles (see what I did there, Barleywine? lol).

I like the facsimiles because they are quirky and I like the idea of having a copy of the deck as it exists today with its stains, ghost lines, and other wear and tear.

I like the restorations because I like receiving the same deck (or something close to) what a person of that era would have received if they had just purchased one. I imagine it would have been nice and clean with near perfect lines and vivid colours.

I like the reproductions because I appreciate the knowledge and vision of contemporary artists and card makers. I like that they bring something new to something classic.

Padma

I love and hate them....

What I love is the exaggerated features, bulgy eyes, simple gestures, and primary colours.

And what I hate about them is the same! :p lol!

I think I prefer repros. Nice to have that original touch. I used to copy the images to practice my art! :)

garmonbozia

Do you prefer decks that are restored to their original splendor or do you like decks that are more reproductions of the cards the way they look now?

I think both are essential. I find it very difficult to choose one over the other.

For example, I love Flornoy's Noblet deck, yet I would also love a repro.
I love the Vieville repro decks that I have, but I so badly would love to see a restoration (same with the Tarot de Paris).