Hanson Roberts - 1 The Magician

Centaur

The magician's head is somewhat out of proportion to his arms in this card!! haha. Could this be significant *LOL*!

He stands before a table in which are four items; a sword, a pentacle, a rod, and a cup. These can be understood as symbolising the four elements - fire, water, air, and earth. He points one hand to the sky and one hand to the earth. I read somewhere that this symbolises the link between spirit and the physical. Are there any other interpretations on this?

His belt is a symbol of infinity; a serpent eating its own tail. The number 8 above his head symbolises eternity. I was wondering though - is there any particular reason why the sky is yellow? What does the colour yellow mean?

Lillies and roses decorate the upper and lower parts of the card. Again, is there any particular reason for roses to be on top and lillies to be on the bottom? I think lillies represent emotional growth, but i'm not sure what the roses represent. Any thoughts?

Alex

"he points one hand to the sky and one hand to the earth. I read somewhere that this symbolises the link between spirit and the physical. Are there any other interpretations on this?"

I read somewhere that it represents the ability to channel spiritual energy into the mundane world.

He wears a necklace with a symbol on it I can't quite visualize well. This magician is somewhat sensual, with his chest exposed… His red cap may symbolize life energy, as well as the red color of the roses. May be it's meant to show that the energy comes from above… He's also young and cute. His facial expression reminds me of my teenage years when my friends and I thought we were in this life to change the world so as to say… "I will" sort of a look, that's what I see…He holds a quite noble, well-intentioned attitude…As I see it.

Alex

Hypatia

Yellow sky

I believe yellow is the colour of inteligence, rationality and the mental body. (Blue on the other hand is the colour of wisdom.)

I find this magician curious because he doesn't look very confident, he seems slightly worried or anxious.

Cocobird55

To me, this Magician seems very sure of his power. He lifts up his arm with strength and purpose. The symbols on the table tell me that he is aware of his feelings (cups), his intelligence (rods), his place in the material world (pentacles) and his freedom of expression (swords).

He appears to be coming from a place of strength and beauty -- he may or may not have created it, but he has mastered it and is ready to charge ahead, using his skills to continue his journey.

Sue

fairyhedgehog

I mainly see this card in relation to the RWS version, on which it is based.

The RWS magician has the symbols of earth, air, fire, water in front of him and he is channelling power from on high. But the whole stance is static, and the symbols convey the meaning.

The HR magician has the same symbols, but we see him up close. His chest is naked, his cloak billows, his hair flows. The card conveys the feel of power to me, not just the idea. He is full of energy and ready to act.

(Edited for spelling)

Indigo Rose

I see the Magician here honoring God, his Higher Power. He lifts his wand to heaven to claim his fellowship with the Creator to receive his energy and blessings. He points below to show the Creator has given him dominion of the Earth.

COLORS:
Yellow=mental energy, sun, willpower.
Red=Passion, drive, power, and action energy
White=purity
Indigo(his shirt appears a mix of blue and purple to me)="This color is associated with the Crown Chakra. It is the seat of our etheric body or spiritual realm and connects us to God."

ROSES and LILLIES:
Roses(red)symbol="sincere love, respect, courage & passion"
White Lillies symbol="purity, grace, and regal status"

Gold Jewelry-Necklace, Headband, and bracelet on Right wrist(right hand =hand of favor before god)
"The Sufi writer Attar the Chemist, in his influential book Parliament of Birds wrote on the symbolism of colors. "Yellow is the color of gold - the alchemy of the Perfected Man," who is refined until he is, in a sense, gold."

Indigo Rose

Jewelry type??

What is the type of jewelry the Magician is wearing? I am especially curious about the bracelet. Is it Egyptian or Roman? Anyone have any ideas?

Centaur

Re: Jewelry type??

Indigo Rose said:
What is the type of jewelry the Magician is wearing? I am especially curious about the bracelet. Is it Egyptian or Roman? Anyone have any ideas?

I looks very 'Ancient World-Esque'. Hehe. :)

I also wonder as to the medalion he is wearing. There is something about this guy that reminds me of the 'medalion man' type. The only thing he is missing is a hairy-chest!

I think that the jewellery looks kind of phoney... perhaps this could reflect the Magician's reputation as a trickster?

I can almost imagine this particular Magician as a travelling gypsy, perhaps travelling with a carnival, or fair.

Centaur

lark

This magician reminds me of Fabio..
Alot of flash but not alot of brain.

He knows the machanics of the illusions but not whats behind them.
He's a great showman.

tarotlova

He does look like Fabio doesn't he! I LOL when I read that, he does look worried to me to, and as he can be a trickster mabey his worried look is on being found out, the Lily's surrounding him to me mean as long as you are pure to yourself you will rise above any trickster. Don't let passion over-ride your good judgement the Roses say to me, the yellow of the sky emphasizes this. This card can also mean male spiritual/or person guides are around you at this time, and when I get this card I always think that I have the ability to make things happen and always feel encouraged. Blessings