Transparent Oracle Study Group - The Elements

NorthernTigress

Earth, Water, Air and Fire. Once believed to be the fundamental building blocks of the world. And, to some extent, they still are. After all, the four states of matter are solid (Earth), liquid (Water), gas (Air) and Plasma (Fire). Most people who have done some divination are familiar with the four elements; for example, the four suits of the Tarot are usually associated with the four elements. (With some minor disputes from time to time about exactly how they are associated.)

I like the way that Emily uses the classic "alchemical triangle" symbols for the elements, but adds a visual emphasis to each one. Earth has leaves coming from the corners of the triangle. Air sits in the center of a cloud. Water is surrounded by a swirling whirlpool. And Fire has flames coming from the triangle corners. The elements are always at the center of the circle, not necessarily because it is more important, but to emphasize its role as a foundation to the reading. By knowing what element is involved, a reader can build from there.

Having the image of the element extend further than the triangle itself allows for interaction with other cards, some more dramatic than others. In one reading I did here in the forum, I watched as the flame of the Fire element aligned perfectly with the body of the Butterfly Guide, adding some Fire traits to the Airy spirit guide.

Attachments

• All elements.jpg
    All elements.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 117
  • Mathki.JPG
    Mathki.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 118

NorthernTigress

Air

The Element of Air is a part of the East Direction.

East is all about beginnings: Springtime and the Dawn. Air has long been associated with thought, ideas and knowledge. Emily connects Air with the simplicity of logic and science. And yet a breath of wind can also bring a sudden inspiration. Communication is also important for this Element.

The image for the Element of Air is an upward pointing triangle with a horizontal line through it, surrounded by a cloud.

NorthernTigress

Fire

The element of Fire is part of the South Direction.

South is the realm of Summer and the Noonday Sun. People often talk about the Fire of Passion, or being Fired Up by call to action. Fire can represent willpower, creativity, and Spirit. Fire can transform, such as when iron is forged into steel; but when used badly or without control, it can also destroy.

The image for the Element of Air is an upward pointing triangle with a small flame, like a candle, at each point.

NorthernTigress

Water

Water is a part of the West Direction.

West is the direction of Sunset and Autumn. Water is a gentle Element, a life giving Element. Water is associated with birth and creativity; but water is a cycle and so this element is also associated with the Underworld, in the from of Dreams and Intuition. Water is the most changeable of all Elements, and so can represent changeable emotions. Like Fire, Water can be both creative and destructive. Water is also a reminder of the interconnectedness of our ecosystem, and its fragile balance.

The image for Element of Water is a downward pointing triangle in the center of a whirlpool.

NorthernTigress

Earth

Earth is part of the North Direction

North is associated with Winter and the chill of Night. Earth is the Element of stability, security and the practical, material world. It isn't by accident that the act of finding one's emotional center is called "grounding". Earth can also be associated with one's own body, and therefore one's health. Manifesting one's desires and ambitions into reality involves the Element of Earth, and on a lesser level, so does the achievement of any plan or project.

The image of the Element of Earth is a downward pointing triangle with a horizontal line through it, with green leaves at each point.

MadamPince

A typo?

Dear Northern Tigress, burning bright, did you perchance mean to say that Water was the element of the WEST? I believe Emily is using the attribution that has the Air and Spring in the East so that going around the compass rose widdershins has the seasons in order. That puts Spring in the East, Summer in the South, Autumn in the West, and Winter in the North.

Of course, I could be all mixed up -- wouldn't be the first time! But there sure is NO question about what element we're in the middle of here in Vermont right now! :))

Sidhe-Ra

MadamPince said:
Dear Northern Tigress, burning bright, did you perchance mean to say that Water was the element of the WEST? I believe Emily is using the attribution that has the Air and Spring in the East so that going around the compass rose widdershins has the seasons in order. That puts Spring in the East, Summer in the South, Autumn in the West, and Winter in the North.

Of course, I could be all mixed up -- wouldn't be the first time! But there sure is NO question about what element we're in the middle of here in Vermont right now! :))

You are of course right, it must be a typo on NT's part :) Easily done! x

NorthernTigress

Thanks for the catch. I've made the change already. I suppose there are some disadvantages to doing most of my posting late at night. Two Easts, no West. :rolleyes: