Lord of the rings tarot

Briar Rose

I have this deck. I never tried to use it. I think the deck has a game and coins that go along with it (but I don't have those). I am not going to give mine up though because I might like it some day.

shadowdancer

TBH, (as has been said here) it is more likely to appeal to those who know the books. I appreciated the films but they did miss out chunks in order to not over run the total of 9 hours(ish).

E.g. - the safe house the hobbits went to on leaving the Shire was called Crick Hollow. I actually named my house the same when I was in the UK :) No mention in the films.

This will always be a deck that has those who like it and those who don't - doesn't seem to be a middle ground with this deck. With regards the game which you can play with it, I think I couldn't fathom the rules out, so gave it a miss :D

Davina

AnneLien

Well, I've never read the books by Tolkien but I loved the movies.
I've seen the images on taroteca on the internet and I loved them, but reading all the negative comments online made me wondering if this would be a good deck to buy (Again, this deck is very expensive here in Belgium, I don't know why??).

It keeps popping up in my mind, but I'm still doubting.

AnneLien

Hemera

Well, I have not seen the movie and I´ve never read the book (I´m serious! I have tried to start a few times but I´ve never got further than the first 20 pages :bugeyed:)
I got the deck from my friend MoonGypsy:love: in a trade last winter and I really really like it. I do not use it very often but I love the pictures and the vibrant colors and I think the pictures are lovely also in real life and not just in the internet. The only thing I´m not a fan of is that it is so male/warrior oriented and there are not many women. But I like it and I don´t think I´ll be trading it any time soon.

I think maybe if it keeps popping up in your mind you should just get it.

AJ

Never saw the movies
Read the books 2 or 3 times
I got the deck in trade and it turned out to be missing a card, so in the course of seeing if I could get the missing card from US Games Systems I got to talking with Mr. Kaplan and he sent me the book too, cool guy!

I think without the left side/top edge brick borders many readers would find they really like this deck. It just 'looks' clunky and is quickly discarded.

I've traded away or sold many many out of print or highly desired decks here and I still have this one. I like it.

One thing you might consider is popping for a subscription to AT. Lots of wonderful decks you might not be able to afford there come up in the subscriber only trade forum, and you could also put up a thread just requesting someone sell you their used deck. Even with shipping it might be a lot more affordable.

Just ask them to order it first so you don't end up with just part of a deck ;)

Hemera

AJ said:
I got the deck in trade and it turned out to be missing a card, so in the course of seeing if I could get the missing card from US Games Systems I got to talking with Mr. Kaplan and he sent me the book too, cool guy!
So is the book any good? I have been on the fence about it. It´s very cheap in some second hand internet stores and I´ve almost ordered it a few times.
Does it add anything to the cards as *tarot*? (I understand there is also a game these cards can be used to which does not interest me.)

AJ

I think the book is well written, The majors have 3-7 pages each, most of the minors have 1-2. Soft cover, 270 pages, black/white images which do not have the brickwork and actually may be a little larger than the card image. 3/4 of each card section is devoted to what is portrayed, who is portrayed, and why what is there is there. The last 1/4 is how that particular part of the story works out in reading the card.

If you are looking for a book about the how and what of tarot, there are many other more general and less deck specific. This book is strictly how the LOR stories relate to the images on the cards and suggested upright/reversed meanings specific to that particular cards image.

As with any deck you don't Have to know the story behind the images and you don't have to Know tarot...so a book isn't necessary. I'm an info junkie and I like to know everything about anything.

this is the book author
http://www.terrydonaldson.com/
The back of the book says he is a 'former initiate of the Order of Bards, Ovates, and Druids'...wonder why 'former'? Info junkie...

I don't see anything at all in the book about a game related to the cards, but perhaps that was a separate book that was part of a kit?

Morwenna

I've been a rabid Tolkien fanatic since 1967 and when I first saw samples of the Pracownik deck (more than 20 years ago, I think) I was turned off, and haven't been turned back on yet. Maybe it's the artistic treatment, maybe it's the explanations written on the cards, maybe it's the choice of attributes, I honestly don't remember. Maybe all of the above. I never did buy it. But then again it's the old story: just as several of us spent a couple of threads comparing our ideas of what a Terry Pratchett deck might look like, many of us could do the same with Tolkien.

It would be nice if some other Tarotist could get permission to do a different one. I'm in no mood to try the movie version; the movies were great as movies, but not as Tolkien adaptations! (IMO) And my personal take on Tarot would be straight from the books.