Your Most Readable Deck

herself

The most readable for me are (also) the most predictable: the PCS commemorative, Thoth, and CBD Marseille. Without a doubt, hands-down, message is gonna get through with these guys.

But then there are others that always surprise me. I never thought the Shining Tribe would be an easy read, but the stories just pour out. Ditto with the International Icon. I actually couldn't stand the art, but heard so much about it I thought I'd give it a go. Wound up being my One Deck Wonder for six months and now I love it.

Like Lark said, readability is such a weird thing. I get drawn to all sorts of decks that turn out to be completely unreadable for me. Wish I could figure out what they have in common so I could avoid blowing cash on decks I don't wind up using!

I'm finding that many beautiful/pretty decks, while I enjoy looking at them, don't often have enough "meat" on them for me to get good readings.

And by "meat" I don't think I mean detail. I mean economy of symbol, I think. But they have to be the right symbols, the right colours, the right composition. And by "right" I don't mean "sanctioned," or "correct," but something less tangible (that I'm describing poorly).

The classics get these things right, and while the more experimental decks sometimes pull off their alternate views, more often than not they don't seem to quite get there.

I'm leaning more and more towards workhorse decks that can pull their weight. Simplicity and clarity have become important features for me. :)

FLizarraga

Like Lark said, readability is such a weird thing. I get drawn to all sorts of decks that turn out to be completely unreadable for me. Wish I could figure out what they have in common so I could avoid blowing cash on decks I don't wind up using!

I'm finding that many beautiful/pretty decks, while I enjoy looking at them, don't often have enough "meat" on them for me to get good readings.

And by "meat" I don't think I mean detail. I mean economy of symbol, I think. But they have to be the right symbols, the right colours, the right composition. And by "right" I don't mean "sanctioned," or "correct," but something less tangible (that I'm describing poorly).

THIS.

Thoughtful

Most readable deck? this is such a difficult thing to define. Earlier l mentioned the Roots of Asia which is still highly readable for me in its understated, beautiful and spiritual way. Yet there has to be more than one deck at any given time that becomes as readable. l say this because l have been using the original Gilded Tarot lately and the readability of this deck jumps out at me again after a time of being tucked away. Yet tomorrow or next month it could be The Victorian Fairy or other such deck.

The most readable cannot be pinned down to one deck, at least not in my case, we change we evolve as tarot readers. Our senses need a change sometimes, so we buy other decks and sort out the readable ones that suit us.

What l think l am saying here is, the most readable deck is the deck you find readable at the time :)

Luna's Crone

Not your favorite deck, not your prettiest deck, but simply your most readable deck(s). I ask because I'm still trying to figure out what makes a deck readable for me, and I'd love to hear your examples.

My most readable right now is The world spirit. the second i started to take the cards out we clicked. Even tho i am still learning tarot cards via radiant, its like i can read this deck with out knowing the cards. Although the sun card really creeps me out. I am not good with the Mucha so plan on selling or trading it.

Philistine

Do you mean the Universal Waite (which was recolored by Mary Hanson Roberts) or the actual Hanson Roberts Tarot which is quite another thing entirely?

Diana
Yes, the Universal Waite. Although I think that name can be ambiguous. Turns out mentioning "Hanson Roberts" is just as equivocal! :(

RiverRunsDeep

My most readable is definitely the Ostara. I haven't had it for too long but I just instantly connected. I have other decks that I use, but I find that the Ostara is just so easy to read and always provides so much food for thought. Especially when I'm doing a particularly large and/or complex reading, it's always the deck I reach for.

I'm so happy to hear how well you connected with it! :)

My most readable deck is still the Wild Unknown, but I need to add Deviant Moon as well as some oldies-but-goodies, Robin Wood and Tarot of the Old Path.

Ivy Rhiannon

For me it would probably be my first deck, Goddess Tarot by Kris Waldherr. However I find the Morgan Greer and the Druidcraft to be easy reads too!

FaintlyMacabre

Yes, the Universal Waite. Although I think that name can be ambiguous. Turns out mentioning "Hanson Roberts" is just as equivocal! :(

It is the name that is on the box :) I don't think it is on any other deck's box exactly like that. Hanson-Roberts Tarot should be straightforward enough too. That is the name of the one with the girl on the front.

I think I can read with the Universal Waite although it's been a long time since I tried. Generally that is the advantage of any RWS clone as long as you aren't actually repulsed by it for some reason. They tend to be all about the same underneath.

The MerryDay has given me a couple of awesome readings although that one has some cards that veer far enough from standard that I actually bought her book.

Diana

Alta

My 'most readable' deck has slowly changed. Right now it is the Cosmic, I think it is the expressive faces, the moody colour tones.

"Expressiveness" is likely a bit of an illusive quality to explain, for example both the Touchstone and Hidden Realms depend very much on facial expression. But I find the Touchstone almost silent while the Hidden Realm speaks softly but clearly. I guess that I do best if I can get a strong sense on the emotional or intuitive level of the, well what I keep calling the 'energy' of the card. Don't know, 'vibe' maybe.

The Robin Wood was for a long time very open to me but now I find its surface hard and plastic and I cannot explain why exactly.

ana luisa

I'm with the posters who say their most readable deck changes from time to time. But as a rule, decks that do not fit my aesthetic taste, read REALLY well. Like the Anna K. for instance. I don't particularly like her style but the deck is one of my go-tos hands down. I guess it makes me look beyond the beauty and dig deeper. One exception though: the Mucha Tarot. Contrary to my expectations, it reads like a dream. And it is really gorgeous :)