Mel's Old Fashioned Pips & Courts and Homemade Baked Goods

Melanchollic

Mel!!!

OMG are you back? I still often use this method with the astro spread & passing with the Minkie. Everyone loves it!

Where have you been? We have missed you so & hope you'll be around more. Are you still in Japan? How's the novel? Quite a few of the old thread peeps have left AT and are now on Facebook.

Hope to see you back there too.

Best wishes. :) Have some macaroons filled with raspberry & dark chocolate ganache. ;)

Hey Frelkins,

Where have I been?? I've been in the sinister clutches of life changing, earth shattering LOVE!! ...and then I wasn't. :(

Yes, I'm still in Japan.

The novel is growing, and growing, and growing!!

How'z you?

:love:

frelkins

Hey Frelkins,

Where have I been?? I've been in the sinister clutches of life changing, earth shattering LOVE!! ...and then I wasn't. :(

Yes, I'm still in Japan.

The novel is growing, and growing, and growing!!

How'z you?

:love:

Hey Mel,

Well. . .after the financial crisis, I left Wall Street, moved to San Francisco, got married to a logician, got a place in a start-up and kept up with our interest in historic pre-19th cent. decks. I also became very interested in the "language game" aspect of card games, which is of course exactly one of the several things we used to explore in this thread. We created our own game mechanic together & culture of play. It's an artistic experiment, really.

This has proved very useful during the current Lenormand fad.

I will say that when I was in Kanazawa just last March I did think of you. I was wearing a Noh costume & mask on the little stage in the Noh museum & suddenly thought - I wonder what Mel would say? ;) I found Japan really charming and I understand why you stay.

Hope we can play more card & language games together again! It was great - the original thread participants were really a very special group and a reunion would be awesome. :D This was possibly the friendliest and most exploratory thread ever on AT.

Hugs back at'cha.

Melanchollic

:) .one this just, No

LOL.

Geez, Pru. Now you've got me reading every post forward, then backwards!!! ;)

May I ask who that is on your avatar? Wasn't it a cat before?

prudence

Yes, indeed it was cat, in fact it was cat in a blue wig. Tres chic.

This is Fred Armisen from from a tv show here in the US called Portlandia, this particular character is a feminist bookstore owner named Candace (the store is named Women and Women First). I do heartily recommend the show if you can see it in Japan. (It's about the city of Portland, Oregon and its slightly weird inhabitants)

Ummm, to stay on topic, I would say that Fred and even Candace would love your system of tarot reading as it would stimulate their intellect greatly . :D Though Candace may have a hard time with the fact that a man came up with it!

Moonbow

Mel! It's really surprising what bumping an old (but good) thread can do....and as if by magic he appears, baked goods an' all.

Do you have any plans to revive and expand this method any further, if so I need to log in more often to keep up?

This may even draw Bee out of the woodwork....

prudence

Do you have any plans to revive and expand this method any further, if so I need to log in more often to keep up?

Yes, if you have any plans to do some more of this, Mel, I am on board.

Melanchollic

This is Fred Armisen from from a tv show here in the US called Portlandia...

I do heartily recommend the show if you can see it in Japan....

After reading your post about Portlandia, I went over to YouTube to see if they had any clips... they had tons, and I ended up watching ALL of them! I may have unknowingly missed a meal or two. Great stuff. There was a skit about everyone in Portland turning into DJs, that I could really relate to... :laugh:

You (Prudence) mentioned you were RWSing these days. I was at someones house not to long ago and they had a RWS deck. I ended up borrowing it for a couple of weeks. I had a blast playing around with Waite's deck. It was liking meeting an old friend. Even put on some 80's pop tunes (YouTube again)... had too much wine... pulled out the old photos... starting sobbing over "the one that got away"...

Good times. ;)

Moonbow said:
...Do you have any plans to revive and expand this method any further, if so I need to log in more often to keep up?

Bees in the woodwork??? :eek: Sounds serious! ;)

Revive and expand?

If you start from the foundations (element, power, number, dignity, etc.) and apply them to the cards and the querent's situation, the 'method' is always expanding and refreshing itself.

Obviously, you need to know the foundations, particularly the classical theories of how the elements do their thing. It's not difficult, but it may require a certain paradigm shift. When you have it, the cards come to life. Those aren't cards anymore! That's not a spread! That's a clear diagram of how situational energies are fluctuating and interacting. Expansion, contraction, passivity, activity, velocity, location, time, direction, color, connection, separation... It's all there... clear as a bell, like a perfect snapshot of the querent's situation. It's all there on the table for you to put into words. Information. All that information! Sometimes it's TOO MUCH information. TOO MUCH!! A strange tingle slithers up the spine into your skull... The peculiar sensation of tiny paws, tip-toeing across the surface of the brain... A odd undeniable urge to don a purple suit. You ask yourself how the white grease paint got on your face... Hey Batman, wanna know how I got these scars?

But really, when you've internalized all the 'whys', the 'hows' become effortless. There is no need to memorize the 'nicknames' or the 'cycle of the year'. You'll just know (after some time, of course).

When a querent asked me who it was calling her every night at 2:00am and hanging up, and I could give her an answer, I knew I had a winner!! :)

flying black kat

Melanchollic

I am so glad to see you back. I learned so much from you, and every one who posted.

I may not post, but I will read every post and learn. YouTube is next.

Thank You
Kathy

frelkins

Since we're on the subject, and all the right peeps are here now, Ronald Decker has just released his new history of the deck, called Esoteric Tarot. So go forth & order.

As Place argued for Neo-Platonism & alchemy in his The Tarot, Decker argues for Renaissance astrology + some qabala.