Soprafino Tarot

gregory

I am amazed. I know I am very very old and my mind is shot - but I don't REMEMBER any of mine from IM being laminated. However - I can't check till mid-June. Remind me, someone !

Le Fanu

Debra said:
I've seen a laminated Il Meneghello deck (can I remember which? no.) and it's definitely a thick shiny plastic sheet bonded to the card--not a light coat of varnish.
Yes, that will be the Dotti and the Marsiglia. Both laminated to within an inch of their lives. But the Soprafino I have is nowhere near this lamination. I repeat, as far as I'm concerned there is no detectable lamination and I definitely have the Soprafino destined for the European market, World card box, alida and all that.

But once these tarot grapevine rumours start, there's really no point even trying to argue against them...

Laura Borealis

Le Fanu said:
But once these tarot grapevine rumours start, there's really no point even trying to argue against them...
No, no, you've been very reassuring. I think of you as a sort of Soprafino authority. I would order one with confidence now. If I had the cash (and conscience, after my recent splurges!)

KhonsuMes

Confirming that at least one US edition (not sure if there are more) is not laminated:
The Meneghello Soprafino "Made in Italy exclusively for Cavallini & Co. San Francisco" .
Box is two part, with World Card pasted on the front (top) of the box. The Cavallini label is pasted on the back (bottom) half of the box, and has a bit of wax seal left on my copy. There is also an english insert with the Cavallini legend on it.

The deck is gorgeous.

May the rumors evanesce..

thinbuddha

Confirming that Soprafino is not laminated.

Le Fanu said:
Yes, that will be the Dotti and the Marsiglia. Both laminated to within an inch of their lives.

This is also how tarot grapevine rumors start. I remember reading a similar description somewhere long ago, and the picture it brings to mind is a card that feels just like a menu in a Dennys restaurant, which is actually sandwiched between 2 layers of plastic that come on big rolls, and are run through a heat press and bonded to both sides of the paper.

This image kept me from getting the Marsiglia for years[/] (until I stumbled on a deal I couldn't pass up). Yes, the Marsiglia is printed on treated card stock. I think lamination may not be the correct term for it.... At any rate, the cards feel less like plastic than most decks printed these days (compare it to the Noblet, for example).

The Marsiglia is a great deck, and while I would have preferred it to be on untreated card stock the way most IM decks are printed, it isn't offensively over laminated the way you make it sound! This is on my short list of favorite decks.

-tb

Le Fanu

thinbuddha said:
This is also how tarot grapevine rumors start. I remember reading a similar description somewhere long ago, and the picture it brings to mind is a card that feels just like a menu in a Dennys restaurant, which is actually sandwiched between 2 layers of plastic that come on big rolls, and are run through a heat press and bonded to both sides of the paper.

This image kept me from getting the Marsiglia for years (until I stumbled on a deal I couldn't pass up). Yes, the Marsiglia is printed on treated card stock. I think lamination may not be the correct term for it.... At any rate, the cards feel less like plastic than most decks printed these days (compare it to the Noblet, for example).

The Marsiglia is a great deck, and while I would have preferred it to be on untreated card stock the way most IM decks are printed, it isn't offensively over laminated the way you make it sound! This is on my short list of favorite decks.
Pray, let me start another (true) grapevine rumour. There most definitely must be at least two editions of the Meneghello Marsiglia then. I got mine from WendyWu who wanted to get rid of it because of the lamination. It really is up there with high-tech plastified bus passes. Think U.S Games *Printed in Italy*/ Modiano at their glossiest. And what is even more striking is that the deck actually squeaks when you move it around!

I like the deck and can deal with the lamination but my edition really is unmistakably laminated. It really does feel plastic. As is the Dotti (this latter may feel marginally less plastic).

gregory

Leffy - you get to me my conscience here - REMIND ME after June 10 and I will check every Meneghello deck I own (except the 11x22 mm ones as they are a nightmare to get back in the wrappings !)

Bernice

Cheers Patrick :)

Bee x

thinbuddha

Le Fanu said:
Pray, let me start another (true) grapevine rumour. There most definitely must be at least two editions of the Meneghello Marsiglia then.

Let me guess... You have this one?

I have this one.