Soprafino Tarot

DeToX

I examined the various Soprafino tarots for some time and in the end went for LoS Ancient Italian Tarot. After having gotten used to it and really appreciated it, I decided to buy a couple more Soprafino tarots. I ordered Il Meneghello's Soprafino Tarot (Carlo Dellarocca 1835). Also decided to buy the Dotti 1845 Tarot. Il Meneghello said they only had a couple of copies left and raised the price from 25 EUR to 70 EUR. I found that surprising as that is the kind of behaviour I'd expect from a trader or shop that acts like a trader rather than a regular shop. I expect this type of thing on used products that are sold at market price but from a shop I expect RRP on new items. Anyway, it was surprising at Alida had the same deck for 45 EUR. Strange is that there are a number of other Il Meneghello decks that are on Alida for around the 45 EUR mark but Il Meneghello has them still at 25 EUR. Clearly they aren't selling everything else at market price. Anyway, I managed to track down the De Vecchi edition, ISBN13 9788841284483, for around £8 :) It was very hard to find as it isn't listed as 'Dotti' Tarot or Tarocco Italiano but easy to find once one had the ISBN. Decision was made. I may well buy the smaller Il Meneghello version later but I suspect if I buy directly from them I will haggle first.

conurelover

The Ancient Italian Tarot is what just arrived today. I have no problem deciphering between swords and batons having played on Italian cards all my life.

I love it.

DeToX

Congrats! I really love the AIT too. :) Curved = swords. Straight = wands/clubs. Pretty easy when you get used to it even on some of the earlier decks. The clubs on the AIT are the prettiest I've seen.

I got a copy of the Soprafino Tarot the other day. It is very beautiful. I like the card backs. However, it is a little small for my tastes and also I can't get my head around the faux staining/patina on the cards. As this is the only release of this tarot deck in circulation, I would have rather had a regular facsimile deck so I could make out what staining was 'original' - right now this isn't possible. I'm all for a vintage feel, but adding staining to a deck that in places obscures some of the colours and looks like someone spilt their carrot juice on it. It just feels a bit inauthentic somehow - in its attempt to look more authentic. Also the colours are a bit dark and murky, but I am assuming that is a feature of the original which I would have no issue with. In short, I think it's a great collector's deck but otherwise is a bit of a missed opportunity IMO. If they had released a regular facsimile and a collector's sexed up version, that would have been better IMO but I wouldn't ever expect Il Meneghello to do such a thing as they take pride in their vintage feel decks. I respect the handmade manufacturing Il Meneghello do and welcome that in a card deck but it's just the off colour, stained and specced card stock that I have an issue with.

conurelover

Oh some day I would love to find a Soprafino like yours or a Sola Busca. I can't find where to buy a Sola Busca in the states except ebay.

I am still trying to figure out one of the queens and why her foot is on her dress and the meaning of the king and queens only having one foot on the pillow where they are seated. I got one of the books suggested earlier in this thread (or maybe it was another thread) on the symbolism of the earliest cards.

Rosanne

I have several editions of the Soprafino (superfine) patterned TDM.
I would love to have a thread that discusses the particular differences and the reasons of possibly why there are differences in the first place. Why it became so popular.
I have some thoughts, and I am sure others will enrich the thread.
I love it's sly humour.
~Rosanne

conurelover

I would love to participate in the thread even though I only have one version.

DeToX

Oh some day I would love to find a Soprafino like yours or a Sola Busca. I can't find where to buy a Sola Busca in the states except ebay.

I am still trying to figure out one of the queens and why her foot is on her dress and the meaning of the king and queens only having one foot on the pillow where they are seated. I got one of the books suggested earlier in this thread (or maybe it was another thread) on the symbolism of the earliest cards.

Which book did you get? The De Vecchi version of the Dotti tarot comes with a book - in Italian or Spanish depending on which version you get.