The De-Enabling Thread

Kittaine

Re: Hardly de-enabling but...

Eco74 said:

You have enough on your mind already.
Reward yourself with the calm art of the Ananda when you've regained control of your surroundings. Only then will you be able to give it the home it deserves...

*sniffles* You hit me right in the heart, Eco. You're right, you're right. I'm not ready for it at all. Thanks ^_^ You just saved me from further complicating my life. lol!

13thFaeChylde

I want that drop-dead gorgeous Tarot du Roy Nissanka.

I visit the online images at least 3 times a day, and shortly after clicking on them I wipe the drool from my chin.

I don't have a Marseilles or Marseilles-based deck.

And I want to experience this deep, blissful love that some here have with their Marseilles.

Just look at the pictures and tell me WHY I shouldn't have one!!!

Cerulean

Roi Nissanka: wait a few weeks

The Royal Thai Tarot from U.S. Games is coming out. While probably not Marseilles based, there might be something similar in the beautiful Sri Lanken and Thai styles that speak to you.

I suggest buying watercolor pens in the colors that the Roi Nissanka shows and making one or two pip card each day in those colors. Do google searches on the keywords associated with the Roi Nissanka or Sri Lanka (I may be spelling this wrong) and gather information about fruits, flowers and animals, etc...include these in your decoration of the pip card, if you want...

I want to wait on the Roi Nissanaka, as I've been decorating several lovely theme art decks with non-decorated pips. They've become old to my feel and my readings with them have become washed out. Plus, I'm very curious if the new version of Eden Tarot is different from my decorated and tiny-figured card...

If the Eden isn't what I want, and the Royal Thai tarot is as lovely as I think it is, I have a feeling that might give me the flavors that I am wanting to become attuned to...but this is just me. You say you don't have a Marseilles equivalent though...so what I'm saying may not work for you.

Cerulean.

13thFaeChylde

Cerulean,

I am waiting for the Royal Thai also! I've watched that deck for a long time, it seems. I visited Thailand last year, and wanted to never leave, so the Thai style definetly speaks to me.

I also like the Roots of Asia deck, created by a Thai man, I believe, and the Wayang Tarot, from Indonesia. My girlfriend's Indonesian, and I'll be visiting Bali in January, if all goes as planned. But I think I'll let her get that one for me, as the artist is in Jakarta.

All said and done, though..I still want the Nissanka!

And I want it now!!! Although I'll wait, I suppose, for a special day.

Cerulean

How about a return...13thFaeChyde...

...or others, well, if you were to try to de-enable me of the Roi Nissanka, what would you say?

Although everything you said makes me want to look at the Royal Thai and Nissanka in person and have to decide between the two.

And you are right, I wouldn't give up my Roots of Asia...or Buddha Tarot...or Ukiyoe...Asian Tarots have a funny combination that says to me, "ahhhh, I've waited all my life to make East and West walk together in a mingled path...

walking in beauty, hand in hand..."

Sigh,

Cerulean Mari

Shalott

Just lookedup this Roy Nissaka deck. it IS gorgeous, BUT:

(de-enabling attempt follows:)

A) It's NOT a Marseille deck. While following the French style of the card titles being in French and having non-peopled pips, it doesn't follow the color scheme - which has deep meaning in Marseille - or the line drawings. If one is hoping for a Marseille deck, this isn't gonna be it. French yes, Marseille no.

B)Kind of a"theme" deck, which may be good for certain types of readings, I dunno, I kind of have issues with decks that are good for certain types of readings. Which is another reason to love marseille, they can do everything...RWS would also be "general purpose" deck. Any deck that is "stuck" revolving around one person's life (like this) or one story just isn't as useful as a "general purpose" deck.

Hope this helped, and wasn't too much cold water over the head!

Shalott

Shalott said:

While following the French style of the card titles being in French

Sometimes I crack myself up.

RedMaple

I've been following this thread, and now I want so many new decks. The Roi Nissanka is beautiful, and I don't have even on Marseilles deck yet, sigh!

My latest decks are the Morgan Greer and Buddha Tarot -- I love them both, but especially after reading Robert Place's book, I want a Marseille, preferably the Hadar, for study and comparison purposes of course. :)

I'm also waiting for a Ukiyoe (Yes!) to arrive -- more for my partner than myself (sure, sure).

Here is one way I stop myself from buying. I go to Amazon, and put everything in the cart that I want, then I have to wait a week and then I weed it down, delete all the ones I've decided against (what was I thinking?), and put all the ones I can live without on the "wait til later" list. Then, if I must....:)

The problem is that one-click option --- especially on used and bargain decks. Aaargh. I have three decks on the way and though I remember one is a birthday gift for a friend, I really have no idea what the other two are. Help!

Shalott

Diana said:
You crack me up too sometimes. :D :D :D

LOL - I was just typing, I didn't realize what I was doing!!!

So much for de-enabling, now that Roy Nissaka is on my little wishlist!

But a little de-enabling in general to follow:
It has been hard for me to see decks and other "small items" and just not be able to buy them right now. Not that I've ever been rich, but this is ridiculous! But it has taught me to realize that what I have is perfectly acceptable. I have two decks that I use right now, which has enabled me to put a whole lotta decks and books up for sale, which ultimately I think minimalism is a good thing! Why did I ever think I needed every RWS clone out there? I wanna keep my Universal Waite for reference purposes and my Old English out of sheer love. Other than that, none are necessary! I use my Hadar TdM most of the time, when tendonitis in my hand flares up, I go for the tiny little Fournier. I'm not a teacher, I don't give face-to-face readings where a client sees my decks, so what do I need with all these? At what point am I wanting more Marseille versions for study and at what point am I really coveting? I think the frustration I feel at not being able to buy any right now is a problem. If I could just say, when I have some money I'll get X deck, I think that would be OK. But I'm not, I'm furiously checking my bank accounts, trying to scrounge, just about tearing up sofas looking for change, I mean, I think I have a problem!!! I'm acting like a flamin' addict!!!

Which makes this de-enabling thread is such a wonderful idea!