Got My Scissors Out Again - this time, the THOTH gets it!

Sulis

The Morgan Greer and Ellen Cannon-Reeds' Witches Tarot are both mass produced decks which have no borders.
It can't be that hard for publishers to do and the cards just look so much better. I've rejected decks in the past simply because I couldn't stand the borders; the Spiral Tarot springs to mind - hated those purple borders so I traded the deck away.

Love

Sulis xx

WolfSpirit

I can't imagine that artists who design a border for their decks, also choose to have a small white border on them - so that must be something that is decided for the production process.

I don't have enough expertise to know how easy it would be to print the deck without it - I only know it is easy to cut it off :laugh:

Nycelle

Does anyone have a scan of any Spiral cards with the borders chopped? I love my Spiral but the borders do annoy me. I don;t want to take the plunge without an idea how it will look afterwards.

Sulis

No Scan I'm afraid.

I'd bet they'd look much better and the backs would be ok too.

One thing - if you trimmed The Spiral it would be tiny - it would probably make a lovely pocket sized deck.

Love

Sulis xx

Imagemaker

scans of trimmed Spiral

I managed to scan my Spiral (the scanner is now on a linux machine here and I know negligible linux). They're a little dark, sorry!

The cards are not quite 3/5 inches long and 2.25 inches wide. The back has a thin yellow line on the top and a tiny yellow line on the side.

trimmed Spiral

RedMaple

Trimming the Robin Wood

I just trimmed the Robin Wood, and it is the first deck that gave me any trouble. I couldn't figure out why at first. It is because the borders are not all the same width. The Majors and Minors are definitely different.

My solution was to use the top and bottom borders on the face side of the cards, then turn the cards over and cut along the inside of the black space around the celtic knots. This worked beautifully, and now all the cards are done and are, to my taste, much stronger. White borders always wash out colors, and lent this pack with its fairly delicate palette too much extra light, in my opinon.

Magi

*Looks at Thoth, looks at scissors. Begins to plan out the henious crime.*

This should be fun.

*puts in Disturbed into CD player*

Sophie

Magi said:
*Looks at Thoth, looks at scissors. Begins to plan out the henious crime.*

This should be fun.

*puts in Disturbed into CD player*

ROTFL!

You guys have just given me a way to live with Thoth - great cards but those borders and keywords :(

I still have to order a corner cutter. I don't think Swiss stationers stock objects to commit heinous crimes with.

Grigori

We've been discussing giving thoth the chop in another thread

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=34584

I decided to order a copy in a foreign language (to avoid the keywords) and wait patiently for someone to publish a borderless deck.....

(I'm still waiting ;) )

Rosanne

Thanks for the scan of trimmed Spiral, my main personal reading deck, but the silly borders annoy me. I said earlier in this thread ( I think) that I feel really bad about trimming a deck, so I will start with Thoth, who makes me feel warty anyway. A family member pointed towards a scrapbooking shop for guillotine and corner snipper. So next time down to the big smoke... Regards Rosanne