Got My Scissors Out Again - this time, the THOTH gets it!

Tongodiva

Snip Snip Bug

I had a bit of an accident with my cards the other day, so I had to get a new deck (another Thoth), so this gave me the bravery to snip away at my old deck. I must say the cards do seem ever so small in my hand. They're smaller than the LWB! It does give me a new perspective on the deck, they seem a bit bare witout their border that I've gotten used to for the last three years, but it gives them more substance that just artwork in the card stands in itself. I'll confess before reading this thread I would have never thought to have gone snip crazy! Ya'll are baaaaaaaad! *grin* ;)

Running With Scissors (caaaaaaarefully) - Tongo

lorettawitch

I've cut the borders off about 5 of my decks! :) Thoth, Robin Wood ( I hated it before I cut it and now I love it), Vargo Gothic, Rider Waite and Druidcraft. In all cases it's improved the artwork and they feel niceer to work with. The only deck I wldn't consider cutting is the Voyager tarot because I need the Titles, but I think it would look better without the border.

I always do mine with scissors. It's time consuming but it gets you closer to the cards and it's sort of soothing.

Brammetje

Wow, that Thoth really looks different now!
I agree your results are quite impressive!

Do you enjoy reading with it?

Bram

Valteran11

falling in

Okay, so after reading the entire thread, I also decided to give it a try. I've had maybe a dozen decks and have traded most of them because I was never able to click with them for any length of time. So out came Mr. Scissors and I did some chopping to the hanson-roberts. I don't think I ever realized just how annoying the white borders were. Now, I seem to be able to click with the deck! Its a lot easier to "fall into" the card, i.e. to make a personal connection with it. Jeez, if I had seen this thread in 2003 I might not have traded so many decks before I at least gave the a try! Has anyone tried this with a deck with separate borders and keywords and cutting everything off but the pictures?

M

firecatpickles

This thread reminds me of a T-shirt I see some students running around in --it says "runs with scissors."

Kissa

i warmly encourage anyone feeling they want to try it to indeed trim a deck. whatever deck.

i mutilated a druidcraft, trimmed a haindl and a thoth and if it was possible, i'd cut the light and shadow as well (but someone told that the designs/images themselves do not have the same dimensions and the borders cannot easily be removed without having to do serious adjustment with the general card size.

i received a long wanted deck in a trade and unfortunetely two cards were a bit damaged, corners folded. i taped them and smiled because some time ago, i would have cried that my deck is ruined and i cannot use it. by trimming decks, i discovered that the real deal is not in the cardboard, it's in ME. i've always loved old decks, traded decks that come with their own history, now i have trimmed, taped decks and they are the most precious to me. i know i will use them, somehow i've made them mine by modificating them. like a body modification experiment for tarot cards LOL.

so, take your chance, grab your scissors, your corner punchers, anything you need. tune your cards. feel free, basically you have very little to lose.

kissa

Little Baron

Valteran11 said:
Has anyone tried this with a deck with separate borders and keywords and cutting everything off but the pictures?

M
There is a silmilar thread somewhere about the Rohrig, which loses both keywords and borders. Will try a search as I managed to find it before. Will post it if I have any luck.

LB

Dwaas

Tarot of Prague: away with those almost square corners!

Well, not the Thoth this time, that one is trimmed already.
But this time I had a look at the 2nd edition of the Tarot of Prague and compared it to the first edition. One of the things I like very much of the 1st edition are the round corners. The second edition has more of square corners and it bothered me from the beginning. So I did it today, I bought a cornerpuncher and started with the extra card to see what it would be like. And then I went on with the whole deck. The result is amazing! The corners are perfectly even because of the good quality of the cornerpuncher. The cards don't seem to be so big anymore but the pictures jump out so much better! It fits perfectly with the playingcard style of the deck and somehow it makes the deck more balanced, well imo that is of course. The cards are more personal and even shuffle much easier as the corners are now more "softened". It really helps when having small hands. And it is not altering that much like trimming as the first edition has well rounded corners as well. Wholehearted recommended to everyone!
Blessings

anonymous_artist

Oh my ...

I am going to take the plundge with my deck *shudders* bit scared but we shall see how it turns out :)