Sphere Group Egyptian Symbol

Abrac

I'm reading Magicians of the Golden Dawn and it talks about the Sphere Group and a mysterious Egyptian symbol they used. Would anyone know what it was or if there's a picture of it somewhere? Thanks.

ravenest

It was a 'secret society' inside the the Isis - Urania Lodge of the GD created by Florence Farr around 1896. It was possibly instrumental in the disputes that later fractured the GD.

The Sphere took the clairvoyant techniques taught in the Second Order and worked them extensively. They were more into Egyptian magic and were, moving away from a Cabalistic and Rosicrucian emphasis.

The mysterious Egyptian Symbol ?

That's a secret ;)

(Maybe put the quote up here so it's a bit clearer what you mean ? )

Abrac

Hi ravenest. It took some digging but I believe it was a representation of an astral that was contacted with the use of the so-called "sarcophagus fragment." That would explain Annie Horniman's dislike of it.

The information's scattered around the Web but I put it together with the information in Howe's book. I seriously doubt any images of it remain. If any do, they're probably extremely rare and guarded. I was more interested in knowing what it was a symbol of and my curiosity's satisfied in that regard. :)

ravenest

Do you mean an 'astral being' of some sort ? Also , are you sure you have not confused symbol with image ?

But then again, you say you are already satisfied.

For those that aren't :

The image was derived from ' Mut - em - menu ' - a 'Lady of the Collage of the God Amen Ra at Thebes' Farr made that contact through the sarcophagus fragment in the British Museum

The 'Sphere' (in one of its functions) would be formed around the astral image of this 'Lady' by 12 members representing the zodiac and projected into this eidolon images of GD star maps and Kabbalah, (see, the GD Tree of Life projected onto the Celestial Sphere paper ) to invoke progress, growth and unification (presumably of the Order ? )

I am not familiar with this being a 'symbol' but more an image of Mutenmenu.

Horniman saw it as an 'evil force'.

What you were seeking, I believe is not a symbol as such but an image or eidolon. The building up of God Forms were part of GD practice but this form is not identified as a God, but a human - hence eidolon - and perhaps the reason Horniman didnt approve ?

(it cant wholly have been the practice, as Horniman had contact with a higher plane adept 'The Purple Adept' ... or it was more 'politically' motivated ? Soon they were popping off contacts all over the place, eg. Felkin's 'Masters of the Sun' who he wrote letters to.

Abrac

You're right. Rereading Horniman's account she describes it as an "...Egyptian astral occupying the centre of the sphere symbol..." She objected to the whole symbol but it was really the astral that ruined it for her.