Marseille versus other deck types

Garrettlonewolfe

My partner has just returned from Europe with a beautiful Marseille deck from Italy. I had not used this style, traditionally using the more pictorial pip cards. Just wondering if those in the community find the Marseille better or worse to read due to the lack of artwork?

Barleywine

Not better or worse, just different in the sense that it doesn't lend itself to narrative story-telling as well as the scenic pip cards do. I find I have to fall back on my numerological and elemental correspondences to a much greater extent. On the other hand, I learned tarot with the Thoth deck, which has what I call "glorified pip cards" (there's a little more to chew on pictorially), so I was pre-conditoned to the Marseille pips to some extent.

AnemoneRosie

I tend to prefer Marseilles-style decks. I suspect that it's personal preference.

Richard

I find the Marseille pips to be uninspiring, although I do have a method for reading them. I prefer to use trumps only, as do many other Marseille readers.

EvaSegovia

I've been reading with the RWS for quite a while, but just recently have begun reading with the Marseille (Trumps only). I really like working with the Camoine method (you can google) which uses the Marseille, and it's possible I won't go back to the RWS. I think its really just a matter of choice.

Beanfeasa

apples and oranges, they're still fruit, but not the same.
It's personal preference.
Personally I prefer Italian pip decks, like Soprafino, Neoclassico etc to traditional Marseille.
No reason other than they are prettier than the French decks.

Farzon

I read with TdM decks only since the end of last year. I wouldn't say they read better or worse than scenic minors. Depending on which cards combine in a reading, I find the TdM lends itself even more to intuition than other decks sometimes especially because of the lack of concrete scenes.

Migdal93

I feel that for intuitive readers, or medium readers, the TdM is the perfect tool. There's no image to distract you and it makes your mind wander - sometimes just by trying to remember the meaning of a pip I get some pretty amazing insights. Scenic decks like the RW are beautiful, but they direct the reading to certain "places". There's none of that with the TdM. But it's a matter of preference - there's no right or wrong. I started with the TdM because I felt drawn to it, but I sure want to try the RW later this year.

Garrettlonewolfe

Thanks all for the feedback. I agree with most. It's an interesting process reading with TdM. While other types have their place this deck will surely be in the 'often used' category.