Pros and Cons Thread #3 - Enabling and De-Enabling

rylla

Epic tarot

I'm on the fence with this one...any thoughts?

ETA I like the artwork; how well it reads?

Nemia

Rylla - that's exactly what I'd love to know! How is the Epic as reading deck?

And if in doubt - Epic or Universal Fantasy or both?

seedcake

Rylla - that's exactly what I'd love to know! How is the Epic as reading deck?

And if in doubt - Epic or Universal Fantasy or both?

I own Universal Fantasy and I think to read with it again. I adore the artwork. 'Cause of it (and Mona Lisa) I want to purchase Epic too.

rylla

Epic

Hm. Universal or Epic or both: I have the Universal and I like the art, the images aren't static but flowing.And because I like it I want the Epic too. My dilema is almost the same: I have the Universal, do I need the Epic? The pros for me for Epic is that the artwork isn't as busy as on the Universal. So depending on what you prefer Nemia (more busy or less busy artwork) you can choose one. Do you need both? That's a question I am contemplating for myself too :) (no decision yet ): )

bonebeach

"Tarot de La Santa Muerte" - this deck is not in the AT database. Does anyone have experience with it? I can't even find good images. I must admit that Santa Muerte is one of my very favourite figures from folk Catholicism.

Whhhoooa, what? This is a thing? Oh my god this is a thing.

BRB BUYING IT and I'll let you know how it reads. ;)

But for real, I think that if you're into that kind of vibe--benevolent skeletal kind of deities set over many aspects of life and not just death--you should probably go for it. There aren't many decks suited to that particular need. Where is my ghede fabulous Baron Samedi deck, tarot world?!

seedcake

Whhhoooa, what? This is a thing? Oh my god this is a thing.

BRB BUYING IT and I'll let you know how it reads. ;)

But for real, I think that if you're into that kind of vibe--benevolent skeletal kind of deities set over many aspects of life and not just death--you should probably go for it. There aren't many decks suited to that particular need. Where is my ghede fabulous Baron Samedi deck, tarot world?!

I'm very much into the ambiguity of Santa Muerte ;)

I was stunned when I found it. Even if I'm not going to read with it, well, I'll have Santa Muerte deck. I don't think there's many. Now I have two decks to buy. Thanks :p ;)

Nemia

Dame Fortune's Wheel?

I like the look of this deck very much, it reminds me of the Daniloff somehow... of course, it's much earlier.

How does it read? How do you like it over time? (I'm sure I'll buy a book by Huson together with the deck - if you have any advice, I'm happy to hear it!)

feynrir

Reply to the threebie question

This will probably be spectacularly unhelpful :D

I don't own the linestrider so can't offer much on that front except to say, consider how you feel about a lot of whitespace. That'll probably be the decider.

As for the Mucha and Green Witch it's gonna be tricky. Your collection is actually very similar to mine so we obviously share similar taste and I own and love both. How do you feel about the Druidcraft and Wildwood (cardstock aside... dear lord, the cardstock.)? If you really like them I'd go with the Green Witch as it feels like the Druidcraft's slightly younger sister. It feels very much like 'home' to me. The book is excellent and has info on all the symbolism used, from the herbs and flowers to the animals.

As for the Mucha, I hesitated for ages before buying as I tend to prefer more saturated colours but it really is beautiful. Very close to the RW and an absolute workhorse. A very clear reader and will read just as well on any topic right out of the box.

Good luck deciding!

You helped me IMMENSELY actually :D

I still have not gotten any of them because I am a TOADie wannabe, but I am totally leaning toward the Green Witch. Then Linestrider, then Mucha.

You're right about our collection's similarity, you have stellar taste! Thank you!

They're all quite different. As SW mentioned above the amount of whitespace in the Linestrider will either be a plus or a minus depending on your tastes. There's a lot of it but the images are quite lush so it's not exactly minimalist, just very uncluttered.

The Green Witch has a younger feel to it. It's pretty much on the opposite end of the spectrum from the LS. Full color, lots of it and lots going on in each card.

Tarot Mucha is lovely, lyrical and solidly in the RWS camp. Easy to read with, easy on the eye. It has one of my favorite Three of Swords ever.

I like your brief reasonings, too! I think the Linestrider would be great to read from--I do very very well with the Wild Unknown, which has enough abstract element to make things "fluid" in interpretation (i.e., going off of color and composition even more than the actual subject matter depicted)--but for some reason most of what I see look kind of like doodles with splashes of color. I have certainly been thinking it is overrated. Nevertheless, it calls to me...

Green Witch might be the way to go :) You're the first person I've heard talk about how young it looks. I think it's almost a little too Disney, but it is awfully beautiful.

Thanks all around!! :)