Queen of Wands (RWS deck) - Aries or Leo?

Brilliance

Hey guys,

I am new here, this is my first post. So I am really interested in the astrological associations of the the Tarot cards. I know that the Wands traditionally represent Fire signs, Pentacles represent Earth signs, etc. Also, I know thatsome people associate the Queens in the Minor Arcana with Cardinal signs (this would make Queen of Wands and Aries) while others associate the Queens with Fixed signs (and this would make Queen of Wands a Leo).

I am curious what you all think of this. Do you see Queen of Wands as an Aries or Leo? (I am talking about the RWS deck Queen of Wands btw.)

Thanks for answering.

Laurelle

She can be a Leo. In the picture she is, but in real life readings anyone can embody any of the court cards regardless of their astrological signs.

Someone with a better understanding of astrology can explain the tarot references to it. There are astrological references, moons, planets, musical notes, etc...that all refer to each individual card as well.

bluelagune

Ive always seen her as Leo. Aries is the Emperor/Empress. Temperance is Sagittarius.

aliceinwonderland

I mostly pull this card for aries and sagittarius ladies.

Nahla

Queen of Wands.. has come up as a Leo for me on several occasions. She also came up to describe the wife of a Leo male for me once before, although the wife was actually a Taurus. Tricky sometimes to have a set definition for astrology because it can be criss crossed sometimes, i.e the Queen of Wands/Wife of Leo/Taurus woman case

Thirteen

Can of Worms...

The astrological associations of the Courts is something of a can of worms. While many deck creators can agree on other zodiac associations for, say, the Majors or that Cups are water signs, what they can't seem to agree on is which Court card is which sign. And, just to add to this, neither can readers! :D So, you have a choice. You can use the assignment given by the deck you're using—which often has symbols to tell you what the creator thinks (i.e. a lion with your Queen/Wands there) OR you can decide for yourself and use that no matter the deck.

One thing I think deck creators and readers can agree on is that it's best not to play fast and lose with such assignments. There are those who've said, for example, "I'm a Virgo and I identify with the Queen/Swords. I think she's Virgo." Now while arguments can be made that the Queen/Swords and Virgo have a lot in common, which pentacle card that you robbed of Virgo is going to get that rogue air sign and why? :confused:

Thing is, a Virgo can identify with the Queen/Swords without Queen/Swords being a Virgo. Because the *last* thing that the courts should be known for is their zodiac sign. The first is their personality, their character traits. Next their talents, interests and abilities. Etc. Putting it another way, if we're in Queen/Swords mode this month, then that's what we are no matter our zodiac sign. The zodiac sign is to help the reader when all other possibilities have hit a dead end ("Hm...I'm having real trouble figuring out who this Queen/Swords in your life may be. We've exhausted all other possibilities...do you know any Aquarians?). It's a helpful hint, not a dominating factor (IMHO).

The point is, we mostly agree that readers shouldn't move about signs/suits (don't make Swords both Air and Earth signs—make Swords all one, like Air signs). And most of us also agree that it's best to give Cardinal, Fixed and Mutable to particular court members across the board (like, all Knights are Mutable signs). This makes it easy. Other than that, up to you. My preference is Cardinal for Kings, Fixed for Queens and Mutable for Knights. Because Kings are the "Sparks" the motivators, as Cardinal signs are. They lead the way. Queen's are the managers, making things real. Knights spread the word. So, Queen/Wands, for me, is Leo.

PeonyInLove

Im a leo and this card comes up a lot for me and it's one of the cards of the deck I always seem to identify with. But if you really look at her traits astrologically, I think maybe a mixture. So maybe Aries sun and Leo rising, so both lol...

Amanda

I associate Leo to the Queen of Wands. However, I have no Leo in my chart whatsoever (but a lot of Aries) and this card comes up for me and my black cat Pepper. I have also had Leo come up for the King of Pentacles, which made no sense to me whatsoever until I remember that Leo is a fixed sign.

Thirteen is right, it's a can of worms. Take information you get about this topic into consideration and then determine the terms that work specifically for you.

Miss Woo

I think she can be either, though I'm a Leo and the Queen of Wands is my significator. The Queen of Wands is an energy - a bold, fiery, passionate energy and Leo and Aries are both these.

Zephyros

Each of the Court cards, except the Pages/Princesses age attributed to 10° of one sign and 20° of the next, and this serves to give them far more depth than any one sign. In the case of this Queen, she's attributed to Mars in Pisces, Mars in Aries and Sun in Aries. One way to wrap one's head around the decans is to use the Trumps as your basis, so here we have the Tower through the filter of the Moon, the Tower through the Emperor and the Sun through the Emperor. This "mini-reading" together with the elemental attribution of Water of Fire, gives a wonderfully complex personality, with stronger and weaker traits.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=213790

She also bridges the gap between the beginning and end of the cycle, and in many ways she is the first Court card.