Mystery stone - is this nuummite?

Labhraín

Can anyone take a look at this photo and tell me if the stone is in fact, nuummite? I was looking for a piece of jewelry with nuummite in it so I could wear it to work and found this awesome ring. I love the ring and don't want to get rid of it, but after seeing numerous photos of nuummite samples, the stone in the ring doesn't look like nuummite to me and I wonder if it was misidentified by the seller.

Here is the link to the piece on eBay, I hope the link works.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121320451917?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Briar Rose

http://search.aol.com/aol/image?q=images+of+nuummite&v_t=client97_searchbox

I hope this link works. I did a web search for 'images of nuummite.' So the picture you showed us on e-bay (now sold) looks like it. The stone looks like it varies. I have a Nuummite wand I bought at the gem show. I will take a pic today- outside and post it. It looks different than the stone on the ring.

frac_ture

Labhrain, I have a couple of pieces of Nuummite (including one that happened to be in my pocket when I came across your post!), and I have to say that based on my own experience, the stone in the picture you provided of that ring does not look like the material I know as Nuummite. I'd characterize the stone in that ring as "gray, with black veins," while Nuummite is more like, "black, with occasional shiny, metallic-looking flecks." Most of the pictures in the link provided by Briar Rose look much more like the specimens of Nuummite that I've seen (both in person and on the internet).

I have no idea what the stone in that ring might be...

Labhraín

Ah, the plot thickens!!!

I was thinking the same thing. If this isn't nuumite, what could it be? It did occur to me that perhaps the black veins are nuummite and the seller classified the stone as nuummite. I too have been trying to figure out what it could be other than nuummite. Maybe some sort of jasper?

Briar Rose

I'm sorry that it has taken me so long to post the picture I promised. here's the Nuummite Wand that I bought from a reputable vendor at the wholesale show.

I have never seen a huge piece of Nuummite. I have only the wand I bought to go by, that was with several other Nuummite wands that all looks the same. I do not know what a huge piece of Nuummite looks like to know if there are different looks to it like more veins or inclusions. I do not know about the matrix of Nuummite and it's characteristics.

I haven't worked with it yet.

Attachments

• Crystals. Nuummite Wand.jpg
    Crystals. Nuummite Wand.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 270
  • Crystals. Nuummite Wand.1.jpg
    Crystals. Nuummite Wand.1.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 265
  • Crystals.Nuummite Wand.2.jpg
    Crystals.Nuummite Wand.2.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 261

Yetat

I was thinking the same thing. If this isn't nuumite, what could it be? It did occur to me that perhaps the black veins are nuummite and the seller classified the stone as nuummite. I too have been trying to figure out what it could be other than nuummite. Maybe some sort of jasper?

Astrophyllite?

Nuummuite is mostly in specks, those in veins are astrophyllite.

Labhraín

Astrophyllite?

Nuummuite is mostly in specks, those in veins are astrophyllite.

I don't think so. This stone is an opaque charcoal gray with veins of a black stone threaded through it. I still don't know what it is, but I am pretty sure it is not nuummite.

omshanti72

Hi i'm pretty sure is Picasso Jasper - check out some images.
Blessings.

Labhraín

Bingo! We have a winner!

Hey, you know what? I think you are right! I just had a look at some images of Picasso Jasper and it looks exactly like my ring. Thank you so much!