Decks brought under the influence/on a whim.

Awkward.turtle91

This may have been done before,
But what decks have you brought under the influence that prehaps you didn't want or you weren't sure on but are now your comfort decks.

And for those of you that don't drink, what decks did you buy on an impulse?, I'm curious to find out people's collection and reason behind it.

Let's have a laugh and swap stories shall we?

We're all old enough now aren't we.
I'll kick start with one of mine as fair is fair

I don't often drink my self but my most recent purchase was shadowscapes and Morgan Greer!
I love the bright colours on the images, I suppose I would if I was under the influence but then again shadowscapes if I remember had turtles in it.

I felt like I was a two year old :-D

AJ

there were fan threads for a deck or two, that turned me into a mob mentality member.
Twice. Since sold them, and would avoid mob mentality threads but they are seldom seen now because the artist/publishers are no longer here to flog them :)

In a very nice way I was eventually encouraged by a busy thread to buy The Faeries' Oracle by Brian Froud, which in turn led to a number of book purchases, and joining in a thread about just what the Faeries had been up to when we weren't looking. It was all good fun but the problem with the deck was I couldn't actually read with it.
this was typical of how the deck abused me...
http://quirkeries.blogspot.com/2011/10/daily-draw-faeries-oracle-faery-guide.html

we are just human after all, I don't regret buying any of the 100's I've had over the years, there are lessons in everything.

Carojulie

That is fun !

I did something of the sort this week. Not under influence per se, more under semi-sleep groggyness I guess.

I have had the german version of the Mythic tarot for a long while in my faves on Book Depository.

These days I do not sleep well at all, you know this state where you are extremely tired, but still cannot sleep - it's depressing when you have to get up early the next day. So during the night I sometimes take my epad to surf on the net in the dark without waking my partner, in the hope of falling asleep while reading (sometimes it works)
The other night I was surfing and "window-shopping" : iddly brownsing craft supplies, books and decks and stuff that I like but that I do not "want very hard" nor need at all, and that I do not have any intention of buying any time soon.

Next morning I woke up and thought I had dreamt that I was buying the Mythic tarot. But the dream was feeling quite real.... I checked my emails, and there it was : I had clicked all the way to "checkout and pay" for the Mythic tarot during the night, and only had half-formed memories of doing so.
Thankfully it was only 8 euros and free shipping..... that fact was probably why my sleepy self gave in to the temptation I guess. I hope it will not happen again... Probably not, now that my concious self is aware of the danger !

Now I feel like a fool, telling this story here ! Please do not make fun of me too hard.

Nemia

Dear Carojulie, I think you have come to the ONE place in the universe where nobody will tease or judge you! We've all been there. Or very nearly been there!

I don't know in what state of mind I was when I bought the Night Sun deck, so totally not my cup of tea with its computer graphic images, busty women with evil grins and weird compositions. I bought it, I can't read with it (yet), but I'm fascinated by it and using now the exercises from the Tarot Kaizen book to get to know it better.

You should have seen my face when I unboxed that deck. Like the people in comedies who wake up in the wrong bed with the wrong back turned towards them :-D

Barleywine

I don't drink and buy (except more drinks, of course), so I can't contribute there. I bought the Gilded Tarot on an impulse because I wanted to show my support for my local New Age shop owner and it was the only one she carried that interested me. (It wasn't completely "out of the blue," though, I saw it here first). Lately I find myself using it every day.

CharlotteK

I've bought a few like Carojulie whilst half asleep and groggy, browsing in bed when I shouldn't have. I'm fairly sure the Ceccoli, Voyager, Shadowscapes, Linestrider and Kings Journey Tarot have all ended up with me that way. Possibly a few others. Some I've forgotten about until they've shown up. I am seriously consider buying a manual alarm clock and leaving my phone turned off downstairs.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Falcor

Dear Carojulie, I think you have come to the ONE place in the universe where nobody will tease or judge you! We've all been there. Or very nearly been there!

I don't know in what state of mind I was when I bought the Night Sun deck, so totally not my cup of tea with its computer graphic images, busty women with evil grins and weird compositions. I bought it, I can't read with it (yet), but I'm fascinated by it and using now the exercises from the Tarot Kaizen book to get to know it better.

You should have seen my face when I unboxed that deck. Like the people in comedies who wake up in the wrong bed with the wrong back turned towards them :-D

You should have seen my face when I opened Hermetic tarot I have bought because...I don't know why...

It was so cold and alien for me. I couldn't go beyond 10 cards. I love color and more cheerful images. More magic and fun. I think now it's a "happy" workable deck in it's new home.

Awkward.turtle91

I don't drink and buy (except more drinks, of course), so I can't contribute there. I bought the Gilded Tarot on an impulse because I wanted to show my support for my local New Age shop owner and it was the only one she carried that interested me. (It wasn't completely "out of the blue," though, I saw it here first). Lately I find myself using it every day.

I've done this!!!!, I so badly wanted a tarot deck to buy that day I saws the easy Tarot with the guilded tarot deck in my book store. And eewwwww I hated it so much. It's a shame that I didn't get a good experience like you. :)

Awkward.turtle91

there were fan threads for a deck or two, that turned me into a mob mentality member.
Twice. Since sold them, and would avoid mob mentality threads but they are seldom seen now because the artist/publishers are no longer here to flog them :)

In a very nice way I was eventually encouraged by a busy thread to buy The Faeries' Oracle by Brian Froud, which in turn led to a number of book purchases, and joining in a thread about just what the Faeries had been up to when we weren't looking. It was all good fun but the problem with the deck was I couldn't actually read with it.
this was typical of how the deck abused me...
http://quirkeries.blogspot.com/2011/10/daily-draw-faeries-oracle-faery-guide.html

we are just human after all, I don't regret buying any of the 100's I've had over the years, there are lessons in everything.

Oh I love farieies, isn't it funny how your more inclined to get decks you wouldn't have thought about.i shall deffo take a look at that blog; I think I had that deck when I was young, it didn't like me either. I was given it.

I don't regret buying them either :)

Awkward.turtle91

That is fun !

I did something of the sort this week. Not under influence per se, more under semi-sleep groggyness I guess.

I have had the german version of the Mythic tarot for a long while in my faves on Book Depository.

These days I do not sleep well at all, you know this state where you are extremely tired, but still cannot sleep - it's depressing when you have to get up early the next day. So during the night I sometimes take my epad to surf on the net in the dark without waking my partner, in the hope of falling asleep while reading (sometimes it works)
The other night I was surfing and "window-shopping" : iddly brownsing craft supplies, books and decks and stuff that I like but that I do not "want very hard" nor need at all, and that I do not have any intention of buying any time soon.

Next morning I woke up and thought I had dreamt that I was buying the Mythic tarot. But the dream was feeling quite real.... I checked my emails, and there it was : I had clicked all the way to "checkout and pay" for the Mythic tarot during the night, and only had half-formed memories of doing so.
Thankfully it was only 8 euros and free shipping..... that fact was probably why my sleepy self gave in to the temptation I guess. I hope it will not happen again... Probably not, now that my concious self is aware of the danger !

Now I feel like a fool, telling this story here ! Please do not make fun of me too hard.

Try getting at 4am, going to sleep at 12am then Brownings a little on eBay for used decks or amazon. I've had to delete both now because I feel your pain.

I'm giggling a little, but I'm not making fun of you, if any one does I'll be reporting them to the mods don't you worry. At least it isn't a baba studios tarot deck you orders whilst sleepy !!

Maybe you needed to have it but consciously wouldn't buy it :)