Witches Tarot (Dugan) -- Nothing fancy, but DANG!

Silmaril23

Ok, so...the Witches Tarot by Ellen Dugan was pretty much the second deck I bought after the yellow-box RWS. I bought it in an early Tarot craze/haze without really researching many other RWS-based decks. Honestly, if I had seen a lot of other decks, I probably would have chosen differently, because it's really not all that special...

EXCEPT...

Dang, this little deck is quite the workhorse! She doesn't look like much, but she spits out spot-on readings like a little fairy-speckled, star-spangled CGI machine gun.

In other words, I LIKE this deck more and more, in spite of myself!

Just goes to show...you can't always judge a deck by its flimsy card stock and the cheesy, second-rate art on its 78 covers. Heh heh.

Silmaril23

In all fairness to this little deck, I should add that some of the cards really are quite beautiful...especially the Aces, Strength, and the Sun...to name a few.

euripides

hmm I don't think I'd have considered this deck but after you mentioned it I had a look... heck I'd be tempted just for the back, I love that image.... the figures are generally good (I'm an artist myself so a bit finicky about the quality of anatomical accuracy)

Love the Ace of Swords.

not sure about the representations of men in the deck, they all seem armored and a bit hidden both in body and character, while the women are baring all.

dawning_tarot

I tend to like most CGI, but never took a liking to this one. the vividness and coloring is brilliant.

RiverRunsDeep

Dang, this little deck is quite the workhorse! She doesn't look like much, but she spits out spot-on readings like a little fairy-speckled, star-spangled CGI machine gun.

I feel the same :) The artwork may not be spectacular, but it reads like a dream and I am drawn to those vivid colors against the black borders. Also, this is the deck that eased me back into tarot reading after a long hiatus, so I can't help having a soft spot for it. :heart:

RavenLuna

My daughter bought this deck for me as a gift a few years ago, and I was horrified at the CGI, but it's so clear in readings. I edged mine in black and it's even more glossy now. Not me at all, but I do kinda like it. It's so accurate I can forgive it for the mostly icky imagery. The backs are gorgeous though. The Moon and some of the Wands are really lovely too.

Silmaril23

So interesting to see that other people feel similarly about this deck.

I not sure about the representations of men in the deck, they all seem armored and a bit hidden both in body and character, while the women are baring all.

I know what you mean. The King of Wands is an exception to this...he's a pretty friendly dude, or at least it seems to me. I agree about the women mostly "baring all"...it's really too much in some cards. Especially the High Priestess...she is one of my favorite cards in the Tarot and I am not a fan of her heaving bosom in this deck!

I feel the same The artwork may not be spectacular, but it reads like a dream and I am drawn to those vivid colors against the black borders. Also, this is the deck that eased me back into tarot reading after a long hiatus, so I can't help having a soft spot for it.

My daughter bought this deck for me as a gift a few years ago, and I was horrified at the CGI, but it's so clear in readings. I edged mine in black and it's even more glossy now. Not me at all, but I do kinda like it. It's so accurate I can forgive it for the mostly icky imagery. The backs are gorgeous though. The Moon and some of the Wands are really lovely too.

Yes, it really is crazily crystal clear in terms of readings. I edged mine in a deep royal blue, although I may still change my mind and go over it again in black.

Wintermoon

Hello everyone, newbie posting here!

I bought this deck solely for the vividness of colour and the backgrounds - the sunsets, lovely sunny days etc. But the World card is one of the worst I've seen, it feels like they got to the printers and realised they only had 77 cards so someone quickly whipped one up on Photoshop!

Silmaril23

Hello everyone, newbie posting here!

I bought this deck solely for the vividness of colour and the backgrounds - the sunsets, lovely sunny days etc. But the World card is one of the worst I've seen, it feels like they got to the printers and realised they only had 77 cards so someone quickly whipped one up on Photoshop!

Haha! I don't mind the World card, but I feel this way about the 5 of Swords...which is basically the only "unillustrated" pip card in the whole deck. It's like...whaaaaa?

Booklioness

I ordered one from Amazon; I thought I could overlook some of the photography inserted in the cards. They arrived and were stuck together; I tried to separate but they ripped the edges, and I had to return them. I wasn't all that heart broken, as seeing them in person, I couldn't get past the photos.