songs that represent tarot cards

Docc Rudolph

Song Titles on the Major Arcana

In 1973, or '74, I got my first Tarot deck through the Schlastic Book Club at my school. It was Major Arcana only. At the top of each card was the number and name of the card, and at the bottom was printed the title of a song that had been popular in the past few years.

I wish I still had that deck. The song titles I remember are "The Fool on the Hill" for The Fool, "Rolling on the River" for The Wheel of Fortune, "Sympathy for the Devil" for The Devil, "Bad Moon Rising" for The Moon, and "Here Comes the Sun" for The Sun.

Does anyone else remember this deck? And what some of the other song titles were?

Blessed be...

aja

Does anyone else remember this deck? And what some of the other song titles were?

that was my first deck too :) I'd love to have a copy, or the calendar that came with it
let me see

Empress - "Suzanne"
Emperor - "A Well-Respected Man"
Lovers - "Butterfly of Love"
(I'm remembering Wheel of Fortune as "Spinning Wheel")
Death - "Me and Bobby McGee"
Judgement - "I Shall Be Released"
Tower - I *think* it may have been "All Along the Watchtower"

Docc Rudolph

Thanks, aja, for the reminders...

... and, now that you mention it, I think you're right about "Spinning Wheel".

So the song for this post is, "Thanks for the Memories"...

By the way, regarding musical Tarot connections, the face (& hair)of the sitting man in the RWS 4 of Pentacles reminds me of Bob Dylan, and I see Sting in the victorious man at the right of the RWS 5 of Swords.

Blessed be...

metal_romantic

I am a songwriter and I find the tarot a great source of inspiration :D

Yvresse

Vienna Teng's "The Tower"—for the card of the same name :D The song and its lyrics don't really ring the bell for a sudden event, change or revelation, but I think it highlights the forced doubt and holding-on that stops a person from realising and changing. The tension before the tower falls, if you like.

MadeiraDarling

I'm a Fool For You, Girl by T. Rex for The Fool