Frankendecken; Instructions & General discussion

Le Fanu

thorhammer said:
Could it go to Oddity surface? She's in Sweden - is that right?
I suppose so! I just assume everything goes by air!

thorhammer

Le Fanu said:
Here, you're able to specify air or surface. Most peeps don't know that with regard to domestic mail, but you can still do it.

gregory

In the UK you say what you want and pay (through the nose) accordingly. In Canada (rather to my surprise) you say what you want and pay accordingly and if there is no space on the way you have chosen, they send it the other way anyway (thus did I get an airmailed Christmas gift in March :mad: but on the other hand once I got a surface mailed book two days after it was mailed.... !)

Oddity

Le Fanu said:
Here, you specify Priority or Regular – I suppose Priority usually means they send by air, but if air traffic is closed I still don't think they will let it sit and wait in a warehouse somewhere until it opens – they'll probably send the quickest way that's available. Shouldn't take more than three days, I guess. It's not _that_ far by train.

But this is really just me guessing wildly, without having a clue... :)

nisaba said:
How does the sky look? How does it smell? I'm really interested in the whole phenomenon.
Where I am you can't see it at all. No smell, nothing. On Iceland, it's different though. Smoke heavy like fog, and many inches of ash on the ground in some parts.
I've been told that some people in Norway (which is closer to Iceland) could notice some smell when the cloud was thickest, but apparently not much. They've had the airspace open for a long time now over Scandinavia, but even when it was closed I couldn't notice anything except the lack of air traffic. The ash is so thin and drifting so high up in the atmosphere… but if there is a small possibility that it might destroy the airplane engines, then better not take the risk, eh?

But we're starting to get some really nice red sunsets, real jewel red – proof there's lots of particles and dust up there in the air to the west.

photokat

Wouldn't it be safest to start the other way around (East Coast USA) because of the uncertain Volcano situation?

cardlady22

Another factor is getting it to Wendywu as soon as possible into the journey so she can get the scans.

gregory

photokat said:
Wouldn't it be safest to start the other way around (East Coast USA) because of the uncertain Volcano situation?
It's transatlantic movement that is most affected; within Europe there are alternatives - rail, road and sea.

Oddity

photokat said:
It really _doesn't_ impact transport that much. Honestly. Remember it's a lot easier to reroute mail by road and train, than to people...
Europe is _not_ completely shut down or paralysed. It is not a problem. I mean, of course there are problems and consequences like not as many flights – but the news want to show it as if it's much worse than it is. They are really clutching at straws to have something to write about.

Oddity

Didn't see gregory's post there, but yes. It's trickier to send overseas – for the time being. It will probably be all right by the time it's going to the US. (Let's hope it will be.)

Le Fanu

All being well, I should get to the Post Office tomorrow and get Frankendecken sent off to Oddity (I have now switched the King of Swords for the Knight of Swords). It is a funny feeling. I feel like I have presided over this creation for so long, honing and organising, watching it grow, become more and more complete, and sitting up of an evening looking at all the wonderful cards which have been coming in and now off he goes into the big wide world. Looking at this innocuous little bundle it is hard to imagine just how much he is about to travel! He really is about to go round and round the world!

I feel all wistful...