Mental health and tarot cards

ilweran

gregory said:
This is SO true. Most mental health professionals I know (and I know a LOT ! I was a patient and also worked in the health service for almost 20 years) won't "label" at all any more ! They tend to take the line that every single patient is unique and so is their illness.

Excellent, though I'm in Wales and apparently we're 15 years behind England when it comes to MH services :(

More on-topic, I've always wondered how multi-faith rooms in psychiatric units work when it comes to less main-stream beliefs and practices. One would hope the staff would have the appropriate training - although that's far from certain - but what if I were an inpatient and wanted to use a tarot deck?

I did ask at a meeting once about how they'd deal with conflicts between different beliefs and use of the rooms, but got a rather uncomprehending look, a shrug and 'I don't know' back so they seem not to have given it much thought.

gregory

When I was in (late 80s) - I don't think anyone would have batted an eyelid. Except maybe some of the patients who were even madder than I was !

It was a long way to the chapel (yes there was one - it was a Victorian hospital) so I never tried that... I was listed as none on religion - one thing I had done in my line of work was INSIST that that was added to hospital admission sheets as an option ! a chaplain did come visit - I knew her from work (there's fun in being mad in the area where you work !) and knew exactly what I would say, but as she said - let's have coffee like when we are in your office !!! it makes a change not having to minister; I thought you'd like company !

ilweran

gregory said:
It was a long way to the chapel (yes there was one - it was a Victorian hospital) so I never tried that...

Though a chapel is very clearly Christian while 'multi-faith' is meant to be inclusive - even though sometimes different religions are incapable of playing nicely together. The situation may never come up but if two people with opposing faiths want to use the room at the same time - ie me as a Wiccan with a tarot deck and a fundamentalist Christian who thinks I'm a devil-worshipper.

Of course if I were ever in the position of being an inpatient I may not mention my religion at all. I've often thought calling myself a witch and saying I've seen a dragon whilst meditating would be unlikely to hasten my discharge from hospital :D Dependent on the prejudices of whoever was treating me...

blackroseivy

Hate to be defensive, but I happen to be bi-polar myself. & I know what is involved in being so. People who aren't actually in the system have a lot of biased ideas, not to say stigma attached. & I have meds that work very well for me thanks!

Friend of mine said:

if they want to make an argument, they need to at least start from a half-way factual place

SkadisPhoenix

OK, this thread has actually really bothered me, I've been resisting the urge to comment, but no, I'm not going to ignore it.

Saying that people with bi-polar/delusions etc shouldn't be "allowed" to read tarot is a terrible thing! I have a disability that is both physical AND pyschological, does that mean that I shouldn't be "allowed" to read tarot?

It's annoyed me as much as when I was informed that because I have learning difficulties (ADD, dyslexia and dyspraxia) I should never be allowed to work with children in a school.

Both these viewpoints are misguided and wrong.

gregory

ilweran said:
Though a chapel is very clearly Christian while 'multi-faith' is meant to be inclusive - even though sometimes different religions are incapable of playing nicely together. The situation may never come up but if two people with opposing faiths want to use the room at the same time - ie me as a Wiccan with a tarot deck and a fundamentalist Christian who thinks I'm a devil-worshipper.

Of course if I were ever in the position of being an inpatient I may not mention my religion at all. I've often thought calling myself a witch and saying I've seen a dragon whilst meditating would be unlikely to hasten my discharge from hospital :D Dependent on the prejudices of whoever was treating me...
No - but as I never went I have no idea if they attempted to make it multi use. They must have taken it all quite seriously considering the number of leaflets I had to churn out for staff on the subject when I wasn't being ill....

One person I knew who was in used to see horrible things (creatures and people) in her closet.The doctors told her it was perfectly normal, lots of people do - and she's fine today !

eyeDEEclaire

eyeDEEclaire said:
They could just be bullsh*tting you altogether. Is this reader making money from doing readings?

A true bipolar person probably shouldn't work with tarot, IMO. I say that because they are prone to delusions.

I'm sorry so many of you took offense to my comment. I'm not a tarot nazi. I'm not trying to say who can or cannot use tarot. And I said "probably shouldn't" based on the assumption we were talking about bipolar with delusions. Kinda like how people say you shouldn't do tarot if you are feeling really depressed because it can effect the reading. I removed my other comments.

I really didn't mean to offend ANYONE. I'm not judgmental about mental disorders as I have family with some serious mental health issues. I, myself, was in therapy intensively for over 3 years and overcame many issues; some of which were based in paranoid delusions. I researched bipolar because I thought it was only about moods until my experience.

This is some of what I read. I just want everyone to know I'm not trying to be know-it-all; perhaps I have been misinformed.

The Common Symptoms of Bipolar Disorder

Classic bipolar disorder (or Bipolar Disorder I) is characterized by episodes of mania and episodes of depression. In a manic state, a person may have extreme euphoria or optimism, to the point of impairing judgement. They may be hyperactive and stay up all night, talk and move extremely fast, have increased sexual drive and decreased inhibition. 75% of manic episodes include delusions of some sort (most often delusions of grandeur), one of the reasons why it is sometimes confused with schizophrenia. Untreated manic episodes can last for weeks or even months. Conversely, during a depressive episode, the same person can feel hopeless and personally worthless. They may lose interest in their normal activities (including sex), have very little energy or motivation, be unable to concentrate, and have disturbances in sleep and eating habits. Mania and depression do not necessarily follow one after the other; sometimes a person may experience a long symptom-free period before having another mood disturbance.

Bipolar Disorder II is characterized by episodes of milder depression and milder mania, called hypomania. A hypomanic episode is different from full mania in that it does not include psychotic symptoms (i.e. delusions) and it does not include symptoms that might be dangerous to the person or to others. Although it has it's own name, bipolar disorder II is reliably diagnosed less often than Bipolar I, and some experts question characterizing it as a milder version of the disorder (Source: "Bipolar Disorder." New England Journal of Medicine 2004:351:5:476-486).

A mixed episode is characterized by symptoms of both mania and depression occuring together (i.e. during the same day) for at least one week. A person experiencing a mixed episode might be very anxious and disorganized, unable to sleep or concentrate. In children, it can resemble Attention Deficit Disorder or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. Mixed episodes are generally followed by depression, and occur most often in people under 25 or over 60 years of age.

Rapid cycling refers to someone experiencing four or more episodes of mania or depression within the period of one year. Rapid cycling may last a few years and then slow down into less frequent episodes; conversely, someone may develop rapid cycling well after being diagnosed with fewer episodes.

gregory

The thing is, eyeDEEclaire, that no two mentally ill people are the same. We just can't say this person with x condition should or shouldn't (not that I think this an acceptable position but still !) be allowed to read. Someone who knows the individual, and preferably one who is trained to assess them properly might be in a position to say "Jennifer Juniper shouldn't be allowed to use her cards this week, as she is experiencing x, y and z and they might make her worse" - but other than that - I don't think anyone can say yea or nay in any direction.

I realise that you were scared by the way your friend was around the cards - but your friend might equally well have decided the CIA were out to get her based on cracks in the pavement (someone I know) or cobwebs in the kitchen (I made that one up.) I honestly don't think the cards were the issue; I think it was that you cared enough to be afraid of what you saw in her. (I see that part of your post is edited out - but I can appreciate that those in mental distress are scary to those who love them. I know my SO was scared by what he saw in me. But rather than try and change what I did with my time, he very wisely drove me to the doctor's office !

greatdane

ModerndayRuth

I feel it's VERY important I address this. I'm sorry, but I think you missed my point. FIRST, I would NEVER make light of any mental ailment. Not only was I a psych major, but have had both a friend AND family member afflicted with bi polar, on top of studying it in university. BELIEVE ME, I take it seriously. I also know there is still (unfortunately) a stigma to addressing it. MY ONLY POINT was to show that just because one is diagnosed with bi polar, it doesn't mean any other mental symptoms are definitely caused by the bi polar, that there could be something else going on. For me not to have said that, would have been a disservice to anyone who suffers from bi polar who doesn't have delusions. Using diabetes and allergies was merely an example of showing just because you have one condition doesn't mean it's responsible for all conditions. I hope that clarifies my meaning. I have every sympathy and compassion for anyone suffering from any condition, I just believe it's important to always get facts straight and never assume everyone who has bi polar must be delusional or that bi polar always causes delusions. That was all I was trying to say.

ClimbTheseWalls

I think you all really missed the point of this thread - that is, I would hope, the underlying concern that reading tarot cards (essentially self-administered projective tests) may not contribute to the overall wellbeing of another person, in this case, from a sensitive population. I have a bad feeling that the accuracy of readings is in fact being called into question.

Many have shared they suffer from a mental illness or know someone who does. Let me ask those of you actively in therapy, have you told your therapists you read tarot cards? Or recieve readings? If so why? If not, why not?

PS - WHY was bipolar fingered as the hallmark mental illness???