The Idea Thread

SilentBreeze

I think the forum is just as informative as having a mentor, you just have to do a bit of the work and look up what you are looking for. I agree way too much of a time commitment. How about coming up with an introductory email that can be sent to people when they sign up with some links to some of these compilation threads, and some general information and guidelines about the forum. Some of the other groups/forums I joined sent these out and it was really helpful.

Elendil

As daunting as AT may appear at first with all its members and topics going on, if you stick around soon you become integrated and get to know the people.

At just over 500 posts I still consider myself a newbie here and it does seem daunting when you see the number of posts some people have made (and you equate them not just with AT experience but with Tarot experience even though it does not always follow). Getting involved recently with the Deck of the Week and 'taking the plunge' with some Reading Circles and exchanges has boosted my confidence. (Waiting for the first lot of feedback is....SCARY).

And the newbies have to remember that it does take a while to adapt to new places, but it's worth it.

Well worth it. But you have to pick and choose what suits...(and it can be disappointing when the study group for the deck that is new to you is either defunct or is just a list of card descriptions with no interpretations to share/discuss...)

E.

GryffinSong

...Waiting for the first lot of feedback is....SCARY...

It STILL is for me!!! LOL

...it can be disappointing when the study group for the deck that is new to you is either defunct or is just a list of card descriptions with no interpretations to share/discuss...

Yeah, especially if you've poured your heart and soul into your own input and no one responds. Been there. Done that. ;)

KMilliron

I've offered to make an ebook on lyrics based spreads. I can do ebooks, graphics, coding, etc. Not sure what I have to offer, but if you need me for anything let me know.

gregory

I like the idea of every new member getting an email with - well, what we are trying to put together here. It can't be a PM - as some new members don't "get" them. (mem: put that in the FAQ thing !)

Sulis

I like the idea of every new member getting an email with - well, what we are trying to put together here. It can't be a PM - as some new members don't "get" them. (mem: put that in the FAQ thing !)
At the moment every new member gets a 'welcome email'. In that email is a link to the forum rules and a note asking them to read them - judging from posts from many new members, especially in Your Readings not a lot of them read them so I'm not sure how successful more info in that email would be; that's not to say don't do it, that's just me trying to be realistic.

I've read through this thread and the other one that spurned this and I honestly think that this is just how forums are. We have one of the best but forums are what they are and people are what they are too.. Interest waxes and wanes naturally in topics, hobbies and also in the use of internet forums...

I think the answer to these 'problems' that are being discussed is just to stick around, get involved, subscribe and join in.

Wendywu

The Tech Support forum answers most of the "how do I......" type questions that are to do with the mechanics of posting. When I joined AT I will admit that I read an awful lot of the threads in that forum and learned a lot. I also posted a couple of questions - you generally get a very helpful answer quite quickly (remembering time differences etc).

Likewise I read the stickied "Posting Guidelines" to be found at the top of just about every forum here; they also helped a lot in finding out where I could post what etc.

Any mod will answer any question you ask about AT, and if they don't know the answer they will find out. There are no silly questions at all; the most obvious thing (to you) could be totally obscure to me until I asked you to clarify.

I do think that sending a helpful email that details all of that information (rather than just giving some links) would be horribly daunting for a brand new member. It would have to be quite long if it planned on answering as many questions as possible... and that, I think, is what the FAQ section is for :). I know this all sounds horribly unhelpful, and I don't mean it to be but I do know that when I was a new member if Solandia had sent me screeds of "how to" info I'd have been totally put off! I learned a lot more by just gently pottering around among old threads :).

Sulis

The Tech Support forum answers most of the "how do I......" type questions that are to do with the mechanics of posting. When I joined AT I will admit that I read an awful lot of the threads in that forum and learned a lot. I also posted a couple of questions - you generally get a very helpful answer quite quickly (remembering time differences etc).

Likewise I read the stickied "Posting Guidelines" to be found at the top of just about every forum here; they also helped a lot in finding out where I could post what etc.

Any mod will answer any question you ask about AT, and if they don't know the answer they will find out. There are no silly questions at all; the most obvious thing (to you) could be totally obscure to me until I asked you to clarify.

I do think that sending a helpful email that details all of that information (rather than just giving some links) would be horribly daunting for a brand new member. It would have to be quite long if it planned on answering as many questions as possible... and that, I think, is what the FAQ section is for :). I know this all sounds horribly unhelpful, and I don't mean it to be but I do know that when I was a new member if Solandia had sent me screeds of "how to" info I'd have been totally put off! I learned a lot more by just gently pottering around among old threads :).

YES! That's what I was trying to say.
Thanks Wendywu :).

Kosjitov

I was actually having a restless night and when I couldn't sleep I was thinking about exactly the points both Wendy and Sulis made.

gregory

No - I would agree. BUT there are also very many posts from new members (and even older ones) saying "I didn't manage to find xyz" or "I didn't know where to post this" and the like. Alta's index threads are great - but looking at them - I use them constantly - but if you didn't know what you were looking for.... so maybe a thread with direct links to answers to the questions like these that come up most often ?

I dunno.